PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN is doing a top 10 Patriots ever thing tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
8. Steve Nelson

Too high, but he is Mr. Patriot. For the 80s, there was no greater Patriot. He was Tedy Bruschi but with more ability.

7. Troy Brown

Love Troy. The fact that he is ahead of Stanley Morgan is a head scratcher. I can see Troy closer to #20 on the list.

5. Mike Haynes

A little low. He is 2-4.

Last edited:
4. Andre Tippett.

Finally, agree on a pick.

Woah so no Bledsoe even on this list? Damn..

3. Rob Gronkowski

Admittedly, Gronk can move far up this list up to #2 with more years under his belt. He is not there yet.

The ring thing elevates some guys. If I were drafting a team today, Tippet and Haynes go 2-3. You want Gronk I won't argue.

So, NFLN's final list:

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Rob Gronkowski
4. Andre Tippett
5. Mike Haynes
6. Ty Law
7. Troy Brown
8. Steve Nelson
9. Stanley Morgan
10. Adam Vinatieri

No Richard Seymour or Bruce Armstrong or Willie McGinest.

Replaced by Troy Brown (who would be around #20-22 for me), Steve Nelson (who would be around #15 for me) and Vinatieri (who would be after #30).

It seems a little disingenuous to say Randy Moss had two good years. Moss had one of the three greatest season by a wide receiver ever

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

You'll have to tell me all about it, because I won't watch it

Parts of ESPN have been very pro-Patriots. Mike Reiss is the obvious one, but it also seems that at their ESPY awards show, they eviscerated Goodell on the Patriots' behalf.

For 2001, Vinatieri deserves a special place in New England history. But those are 2 kicks.

2 in the snow game, plus 1 easier one that was the first Super Bowl walkoff FG ever.

So, NFLN's final list:

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Rob Gronkowski
4. Andre Tippett
5. Mike Haynes
6. Ty Law
7. Troy Brown
8. Steve Nelson
9. Stanley Morgan
10. Adam Vinatieri

Replaced by Troy Brown (who would be around #20-22 for me), Steve Nelson (who would be around #15 for me) and Vinatieri (who would be after #30).

Brady is obviously #1. The other Patriots who have any kind of argument to be positional GOAT are there as #2, #3, and #10.

Troy IMO was the postseason MVP for the Patriots in their first/most important Super Bowl winning season. He utterly dominated the Steelers game, with the two ST plays plus 121 yards receiving, including the backup QB's best play. He was also the Pats' leading receiver in the Super Bowl. (In the Raiders game he was just OK.)

So the BB-era choices aren't crazy in a vacuum, although I agree that it's odd to pick 5 guys from the era, have only 1 of them be a defender, and have that defender be Law.

So, NFLN's final list:

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Rob Gronkowski
4. Andre Tippett
5. Mike Haynes
6. Ty Law
7. Troy Brown
8. Steve Nelson
9. Stanley Morgan
10. Adam Vinatieri

Thanks for posting the list. I still won't watch any NFL programming minus the Patriots games.

It's fun to have a franchise where you can argue that McGinist, Seymour, Armstrong, Wilfork, Bruschi, Harrison, Milloy, Faulk, Light, Koppen, Welker, Francis, Julius Adams, Bledsoe, Capilletti, Mankins, Clayborn, Antwine, Cunningham, Grogan.........didn't make it.

If I'm going to nitpick the list Gronk isn't #3 yet and Mike Haynes was a Raider when he did a lot of his damage. I'd personally remove him and add an Armstrong or Light. Armstrong was probably the better player but you don't win 3 titles without Light. I'd also remove Vinatieri and put in one of the other defenders take your pick. I'm over hating AV but over half his career is as a Colt at this point. It's like putting Fisk in the top ten Red Soxs when he was a White Soxs player for over half his career.

The top ten Jets? Who the F cares and I'm not going to do the list but I'm pretty sure it's easily definitive. I'm just thankful our list is so robust with names that at this point compare to when they do the top ten Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, Packer and Dolphins. Growing up I would have envied those lists and rolled my eyes at ours.

It seems a little disingenuous to say Randy Moss had two good years. Moss had one of the three greatest season by a wide receiver ever

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

The point was he had no longevity, and I made that remark about a category he fits into, with several players, without getting too specific.

So, NFLN's final list:

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Rob Gronkowski
4. Andre Tippett
5. Mike Haynes
6. Ty Law
7. Troy Brown
8. Steve Nelson
9. Stanley Morgan
10. Adam Vinatieri

I watched this with my 14 year old.

Miss RW- "Why is a guy who blocks ranked higher than Gronk? That's stupid."

RW- "Remember the Denver loss? How Tom was getting killed and they couldn't run the football??

Miss RW- "Yea"

RW- " If Hog plays in that game, we win"

Miss RW- " His name is Hog?"

I know I'm picking nits, but I wouldn't have Gronk on the list yet either.

My top 4 without Gronk:
Brady
Hannah
Tippett
Haynes (who was traded against his wishes, unlike the ViniTraitor, who defected to the enemy
instead of joining Parcells, who wanted him in Dallas very badly)

After the top 4, it becomes less clear for me, though I would have at the very least replaced the aforementioned ViniTraitor with Tedy Bruschi. I was also disappointed to hear no mention of pre-
Chuck Fairbanks Patriots like Geno Cappelletti or All-Time AFL Team member Houston Antwine,
even in the Best of the Rest segments.

Regarding Bruce Armstrong, it's a pity that he didn't stick around for 2001 so he could mentor Matt
Light and receive his well-deserved SB ring.

And may I repeat that the blue home uniforms of the 1990s are the best Pats unis ever, especially if
Elvis were replaced by Pat the Patriot. What I saw on Thursday night were terrible.

I'd put Mike Haynes down three notches, behind Gronk. I associate him more with being a Raider. Gronk could also finish second on that list when all is said and done. I just think Gronk may leave in a couple of years one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes