PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN (Golic) Jets team to beat in the AFCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rocker:

Last time I checked, we mopped the floor with the Jets in the last meeting.
So far we're the same team +Crumpler -Watson -Green. The Jets didn't improve in my books. They got a mentally challenged CB that played mediocre. The replaced a 1,400 yard back with a 700 yard back.

How did the pats win that last game?

Mark Sanchez: 8/21 136 YDS 1 TD 4 INT
Tom Brady: 28/41 310 YDS 1 TD

i do agree that the jets did not make them selfs a 14 win team. but they did not replace there 1400 yerd back who only had 120 yerds at 2 yerds per att in the playoffs with LT they replaced him with Shonn Greene, who had over 300yerd at 5 yerds per att in 3 playoff games,

and Cromartie, is a upgrade over Lito Sheppard,

and tom bradys stats in the first game with out welker, 23/47 216 yerds 0 TD 1 INT im not saying the pats can't beat the jets but both games will be a dog fight.

it is not as ridiculous as the notion that sanchez will never improve.......

Of course Sanchez will improve; the question is how much. The rookie QB excuse doesn't hold as much water as it used to, and people forget that, as bad as Peyton's rookie year was--the one that everyone brings up so they can ignore how bad Sanchez was--he still set the rookie TD record for a pretty bad team. Sanchez was protected by the top running game in the league, and he still made HORRIBLE decisions with the ball pretty much every other time he was asked to air it out. To the point that his coach had to install that ridiculous red light/green light system. Considering how bad Sanchez was, I do think that it's fair to raise the question of what his ceiling might be. If people are expecting him to become a Carson Palmer-caliber QB, for example... it might happen, sure, but he hasn't shown anything to make you be able to just assume it.

Jets have a better defense than us by a mile.

We have a better offense by 3/4 of a mile.

This worries me because 1 mile > 3/4 of a mile. :rolleyes:

Seriously, without Welker, I am worried about every team this year. Moss seems to be turning sour. I don't know, I hate to be Chicken Little, but I definitely feel like Chicken Little right now. Talk about us beating the Jets last year in our second game, but then look at how we did in the playoffs. We sucked. Sucked bad.

OTOH, BB is the master of pulling wins out that on paper shouldn't happen. And Brady hopefully will be recovered from his 800 injuries and back to top form. He was hurt more than anyone realized last year.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have the feeling that the Jets are going to implode with the media pressure that they are putting on themsleves? They are going to waste their training camp by fliming a reality TV show. Can you honestly say that having cameras everywhere and then watching yourslef as it unfolds is going to assist the Jets in any way? I really, really hope that the Pats play the Jets on opening night. The pressure on the Jets and the media they will be dealing with will crush them. Trust me, by the time this year is over, that lap band won't stand a chance!

Secondly everyone now has tape on the Jets and their schemes. Flacco, and Ryan both took steps backwards in their second years and both of them were much more consistent than Sanchez. Sanchez is still very young and he imploded after that 3-0 start.

I still have the last Jets-Patriots game on my DVR, and frankly the Jets were very lucky to even make it look close. The Pats dominated them! Sanchez was picked off what 4 times? That was without a pass rush, which I think will be sovled by the draft. The Jets have picks 29 and 61, the Pats have 22, 44, 47, 53 to improve.

I just think that all the media pressure on the Jets by assist this team in imploding if they do not get off to a good start. The best recipe for this is for the Patriot to pound them on opening night!

Last edited:
Does anyone else have the feeling that the Jets are going to implode with the media pressure that they are putting on themsleves? They are going to waste their training camp by fliming a reality TV show. Can you honestly say that having cameras everywhere and then watching yourslef as it unfolds is going to assist the Jets in any way?

didn't seem to hurt cincy too much.

Of course Sanchez will improve; the question is how much. The rookie QB excuse doesn't hold as much water as it used to, and people forget that, as bad as Peyton's rookie year was--the one that everyone brings up so they can ignore how bad Sanchez was--he still set the rookie TD record for a pretty bad team. Sanchez was protected by the top running game in the league, and he still made HORRIBLE decisions with the ball pretty much every other time he was asked to air it out. To the point that his coach had to install that ridiculous red light/green light system. Considering how bad Sanchez was, I do think that it's fair to raise the question of what his ceiling might be. If people are expecting him to become a Carson Palmer-caliber QB, for example... it might happen, sure, but he hasn't shown anything to make you be able to just assume it.

Exactly. Peyton set the rookie TD record and that team was PATHETIC. Sanchez makes way too many bad decisions.

I have a serious question for you guys here. If you could choose a rookie to backup Brady, would it be Sanchez or Hoyer?

Sanchez: #5 pick in the draft
Hoyer: UDFA

Better decision making? Hoyer. From what I've seen in Tennessee, Jacksonsville, and the Texan game, Hoyer makes accurate throws and good decisions. If it weren't for tacky holding call, Hoyer was driving 80 yards with two minutes left in the Houston game. I hope Hoyer gets traded one year somewhere, he looks like he could be a starter someday. (Schaub?)

Exactly. Peyton set the rookie TD record and that team was PATHETIC. Sanchez makes way too many bad decisions.

I have a serious question for you guys here. If you could choose a rookie to backup Brady, would it be Sanchez or Hoyer?

Sanchez: #5 pick in the draft
Hoyer: UDFA

Better decision making? Hoyer. From what I've seen in Tennessee, Jacksonsville, and the Texan game, Hoyer makes accurate throws and good decisions. If it weren't for tacky holding call, Hoyer was driving 80 yards with two minutes left in the Houston game. I hope Hoyer gets traded one year somewhere, he looks like he could be a starter someday. (Schaub?)

==================================================

Really, I need to find some film on this guy Hoyer. Does anyone have any links handy?

Really, I need to find some film on this guy Hoyer. Does anyone have any links handy?

The film of him standing on the sidelines is more impressive than the film of Sanchez trying to play QB. 0 is higher than a negative number.

The film of him standing on the sidelines is more impressive than the film of Sanchez trying to play QB. 0 is higher than a negative number.

=====================================================

I can't argue with that statement,, although I am not sure how it relates to the discussion.

O"Connel>Hoyer, because 0+0 still equalls 0.

=====================================================

I can't argue with that statement,, although I am not sure how it relates to the discussion.

O"Connel>Hoyer, because 0+0 still equalls 0.
Just messing with ya.
But that would make OConnell=Hoyer, but for the fact that Hoyer beat out OConnell.

Was Sanchez's play in the playoffs that horrible?

I don't think so but I didn't watch his games against Cincy and SD.

OK, all I could find was college film on Hoyer, pretty much all he did was hand off the ball.

You can keep Hoyer and I will go with Sanchez all day long and twice on Sundays.

The Jets future rest on Sancez's shoulders, if he flops so do the Jets. if he is average then the Jets will be in the playoff hunt for years to come, if he is above average then the Jets will be the best team ever. IMHO:cool:

Brian Hoyer

Behold, GREATNESS!

Look at that epic highlight, of epicness.

The Jets future rest on Sancez's shoulders, if he flops so do the Jets. if he is average then the Jets will be in the playoff hunt for years to come, if he is above average then the Jets will be the best team ever. IMHO:cool:

Like the first vernal shoots of green, JETS fans' dreams of greatness bloom eternally each spring, only to wither and die in the cold of December & January if not beforehand. It is ever to be so.

Like the first vernal shoots of green, JETS fans' dreams of greatness bloom eternally each spring, only to wither and die in the cold of December & January if not beforehand. It is ever to be so.

=======================================================

I like when the Jets play January football, February football will be even better yet.

Jets= all weather team.

Secondly everyone now has tape on the Jets and their schemes. Flacco, and Ryan both took steps backwards in their second years and both of them were much more consistent than Sanchez. Sanchez is still very young and he imploded after that 3-0 start.

Negative on that one friend, Flacco's stats improved noticeably his second year:, atts, comps, comp %, yards, yds/game, TD's, QB rating, etc. (Flacco did take more sacks in year two - 36! That's a lot. He matched his INT total from year one but threw 21 vs 14 TD's so his ratio went way up).

How about Sanchize against some other young QB's by the numbers...

Matt Ryan was way ahead of Sanchez as a rookie on a team that was not nearly as good. However Ryan did have better receivers.

I saw someone use Carson Palmer as a parallel for Sanchez - no way. Palmer had much better numbers his first year as a starter.

Aaron Rodgers? Way better his first year as starter, granted it was his 4th year in the league.

Big Ben the Boob? Nope, played way better than Sanchez as a rook.

Romo? Glamour boy Tony smoked Sanchez in his first year as a starter.

Schaub? A bit different admittedly because he didn't start until year 4 and did get some quality playing early on but his first as a starter was way past Sanchize.

Brees? Always better.

Cutler? Way better.

Henne? Better.

Stafford? His numbers were just below Sanchize's playing on the second worst team in the league.

JaMarcus Russell? Tee Hee, WAY better than Sanchize in his first year starting.

The much maligned Brady Quinn? Yes, better than Sanchize by a good margin when he became the starter.

Garrard? way better when he became a starter.

Eli? Well, here the Jets fans have a glimmer of hope. Eli's yds, and TD's dwarfed Sanchize as a rookie but his comp % stunk like Sanchez's only to see steady improvement. Of course it took 3 years to get over 60%.

And here's one that will make the Jets fans cringe in horror-

Jason Campbell! Yep, he only started 7 games when they finally put him in but if you extrapolate the numbers out to 16 games he beat Sanchez in every useful category. As it is, Campbell threw for 10 TD's in 7 games while Sanchize only managed 12 in 15 games! Oh, the humanity.

Or how about Vince Young?? You guessed it - better as a rookie than Sanchize.

Alex Smith? Ouch, his one year as a full-time starter - better than Super Mark.

Just looking at this past season going by QB rating, Sanchize out did only the two QB's on the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in the NFL, JaMarcus Russell - a headcase, and Delhomme who went into some kind of alternative universe where sharing the football was a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
The Jets had the #1 defense and the #1 rushing attack last year.

They had the #31 passing game, too. The Bills were better in that area. The Bills had more yards, more touchdowns, and less interceptions than the Jets last year...yet, somehow, the Bills have absolute **** and the Jets have found their franchise QB? The Bills had probably the worst o-line in the league last year and tried NINE different formations of it.

I know Sanchez was a rookie, but there is no reason to assume that he'll only get better and better. Hell, he had perhaps the best line in football and, like I said, the best running game to help him...yet he averaged only 13 completions per game in the regular season and completed 12 passes in each of the Jets' playoff wins. He's going to have to be more than a game manager (or a much better one) if the Jets are going to go anywhere.

I really don't see how the Jets have gotten better in free agency this year. Losing Thomas Jones is going to hurt them a hell of a lot more than picking up Cromartie is going to help them. Did you know that Cromartie has 7 kids from six different mothers spanned across five states? He's been named in 5 different paternity suits over the past two years. He's a distracted man. The Jets also lost Lito Sheppard and, less importantly, Rhodes.

No telling how Greene is going to carry the load or if LT can get back on track behind the Jets' line. Leon Washington will probably be gone after getting LT. Also, the book is out on the Jets. I don't think they'll have a first round pick this year because of trading up for Sanchez, do they?

A lot of people were calling the Dolphins the team to beat after their 11-5 season a couple of years ago. Look how that turned out. The Patriots defense took quite a hit last year, but they have 3 second round picks they can play with this year, so there is no telling what product they are going to end up putting on the field.

I'm a Bills fan. We split game with the Dolphins and the Jets last year, and everybody knows that we SHOULD have beat the Pats in the opener. We didn't, but that's beside the point, which is that the Patriots are a scarier team than the Dolphins or the Jets. The Patriots are the team to beat. The Bills get no respect because they haven't earned it, but they aren't a terrible team; they're mediocre, or have been for ten years. A lot of changes are taking place with the Bills, too...not saying they're contenders, but don't overlook the possibility of AFC teams losing to them.

=======================================================

Jets= all weather team.

That just changed with LaClassian added to the Green Beans roster. Come November he will be packing his bags and mailing it in. Not even the team's new social director, Cromartie, will be able to persuade him otherwise. Come to think of it, Cromartie probably will run in terror from the snowflakes as well. And Hotdog Boy Sanchez has yet to prove his mettle vs. Old Man Winter.

Last edited:
didn't seem to hurt cincy too much.

Who in the media had the Bengals as the team to beat in their division last season?

Just about everyone is writing and talking about the Jets as the team to beat in the AFC East.

No telling how Greene is going to carry the load or if LT can get back on track behind the Jets' line. Leon Washington will probably be gone after getting LT. Also, the book is out on the Jets. I don't think they'll have a first round pick this year because of trading up for Sanchez, do they?
people talk a lot about cromartie, but I'm not sure how often you hear mention of washington --- and who is really more significant?
that team is a lot less problematic w/o washington, and LT cannot replace him.

they get credit for the playoff wins, of course, but after washington went down their regular season victories were @OAK, vCAR, @BUF, @TB, and a couple forfeits.

as long as dirty sanchez is qb I'm not worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes