PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Cassel has accepted the franchise tender [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassel's leverage is with the Patriots, not with potential teams. No team is going to give up a high pick for essentially a one year contract, so there is no threat that the Pats will send him where ever they want to. What GM would sacrifice multi-year control over a high draft pick for a one year high priced rehearsal? Signing now places the urgency with the Patriots, if the Patriots are serious about signing free agents and/or extending current roster players.

And how was this different yesterday? So before he signed the tender teams were willing to sign him to an one year deal. Explain how it is different. Before he signed the tender, virtually any trade would required to be contingent on a multiyear deal being put in place before the trade goes through and it is the same now.

The signing put zero urgency on the Patriots. Their cap number is exactly the same as it was when they tagged Cassel and he didn't sign the deal as it is after they signed the deal. Once you tender a franchise on the players, the franchise number is counted vs. your cap if the player signs the tender or not. Cassel signing the tender did nothing to affect how the Pats approach free agency or resigning their own players. The only way it puts more urgency on the Pats is if they set a date that if they didn't have trade done with Cassel that they would resind the tender and allow Cassel to be an unrestricted free agent without compensation. That wasn't going to happen anyway.

Also, as pointed out, now Cassel cannot negotiate with any team he wants without the Pats' permission. Before he signed the tender, he could go out and make whatever deal he wanted and then let the team he chooses to go and make a deal with the Pats. Now teams have to go through the Patriots just to talk to Cassel and now the Pats have far more control on who talks to Cassel and who doesn't. A team that Cassel may have been interested in may never even get to speak to Cassel now that the Pats control this end of the deal.

Last edited:
The difference is that today, the patriots make the decision. Do you think that there are NO teams willing to offer two firsts that the patriots might not want Cassel to play for?

And how was this different yesterday? So before he signed the tender teams were willing to sign him to an one year deal. Explain how it is different. Before he signed the tender, virtually any trade would required to be contingent on a multiyear deal being put in place before the trade goes through and it is the same now.

The signing put zero urgency on the Patriots. Their cap number is exactly the same as it was when they tagged Cassel and he didn't sign the deal as it is after they signed the deal. Once you tender a franchise on the players, the franchise number is counted vs. your cap if the player signs the tender or not. Cassel signing the tender did nothing to affect how the Pats approach free agency or resigning their own players. The only way it puts more urgency on the Pats is if they set a date that if they didn't have trade done with Cassel that they would resind the tender and allow Cassel to be an unrestricted free agent without compensation. That wasn't going to happen anyway.

Also, as pointed out, now Cassel cannot negotiate with any team he wants without the Pats' permission. Before he signed the tender, he could go out and make whatever deal he wanted and then let the team he chooses to go and make a deal with the Pats. Now teams have to go through the Patriots just to talk to Cassel and now the Pats have far more control on who talks to Cassel and who doesn't. A team that Cassel may have been interested in may never even get to speak to Cassel now that the Pats control this end of the deal.

The difference is that today, the patriots make the decision. Do you think that there are NO teams willing to offer two firsts that the patriots might not want Cassel to play for?

Well, if the Jets or Browns were willing to give up two first rounders, this move definitely limited that possibility for Cassel.

It also limits the fiasco of the Deion Branch situation where Branch got a bogus deal from the Jets to force the Pats to trade him to Seattle. Granted it would be harder to file a grievance in this case, but there is no possibility now since the Pats control who Cassel talks to, if anyone.

A Patriots beat writer recently phoned a Bucs beat writer to gauge his thoughts on Tampa's interest in franchise player Matt Cassel.

We'd guess the Pats beat writer was Mike Reiss (Boston Globe). The Bucs' beat writer, Stephen Holder, admits this is all speculation, but came away from the talk feeling that the New England reporter "definitely" thinks the Pats want to trade Cassel. Beat writer-to-beat writer phone calls don't usually qualify as news, but no one has a better idea of the teams' thinking.
Source: St. Petersburg Times

-just reported on rotoworld.com

A Patriots beat writer recently phoned a Bucs beat writer to gauge his thoughts on Tampa's interest in franchise player Matt Cassel.

We'd guess the Pats beat writer was Mike Reiss (Boston Globe). The Bucs' beat writer, Stephen Holder, admits this is all speculation, but came away from the talk feeling that the New England reporter "definitely" thinks the Pats want to trade Cassel. Beat writer-to-beat writer phone calls don't usually qualify as news, but no one has a better idea of the teams' thinking.

There is a franchise tag available for teams that definitely plan to keep a player. The Patriots did not use that.

It seems from Reiss' blog that he feels the Pats are going to trade Cassel. He does have some good sources within the team, but on something like this I don't know if they will show their hand to a writer even Reiss.

I think that there were no teams willing to give up 2 first for Cassel. My opinion doesn't really count for much though.

David Dunn thinks there are no teams willing to give up 2 first for Cassel. And I doubt he just thinks it, I'm guessing he has checked it out and his opinion is based on his research. That means a lot.

I think that there were no teams willing to give up 2 first for Cassel. My opinion doesn't really count for much though.

David Dunn thinks there are no teams willing to give up 2 first for Cassel. And I doubt he just thinks it, I'm guessing he has checked it out and his opinion is based on his research. That means a lot.

I dont know exactly how it works, but this is why i thought cassel signed the tender. He knew no team would sign him if they had to give the pats two first. By signing, teams can give the pats a 1st and 2nd or 3rd, somthing that makes it more likely a team will attempt to get cassel and more likely he could start his career as a starting franchise qb.

The Minnesota Star-Tribune considers the Vikings "extremely unlikely" to enter 2009 training camp with Tarvaris Jackson as a starter.

The Vikings made this mistake last year and Jackson lasted two games, then ascended back atop the depth chart after a late-season injury to Gus Frerotte. Jackson has shown he can be solid for short stretches, but the Vikes won't get anywhere with his massive ups and downs. He needs to be a No. 2 QB.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

-doesnt mean anything but I just thought id through that in their.

I just thought id through that in their.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you meant "I'd throw that in there"

I just thought id through that in their.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you meant "I'd throw that in there"

yes, im not really concerned about spelling and grammer on this board

your a cool guy

Now that's a rare feat: A post that proves its own truth! :D

I thought he meant this grammer. ;)

kelsey-grammer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back