PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Cassel has accepted the franchise tender [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to disagree but the only party that complain about the franchise tag being abused is Cassel not any other team. This type of tag and trade was done by both the Chiefs and Packer last year with no complaints.

The complaint thing has been a nonsensical story line put out by the very same media who have pimped other franchise tag-n-trades. It has no significant basis in anything other than the fever-dreams of anti-Patriots media assclowns.

The speculation is mine. Some mediots agree.

The patriots don't yet need another league action. If a trade is announced (say with Detriot) in the first week of free agency with Cassel willing to sign a deal, several teams would file action with the league, certainly including Minny and the jets. They would have lost their chance to secure Cassel for two 1sts purusant to league rules. My understanding is that franchising with the intent to trade is a violation of league rules. Had Cassel NOT signed the tender, teams could have worked out a deal with Cassel and sent two firsts to the patriots. An early trade, with Cassel signing a long-term contract, would mean that the patriots and Cassel had purposely colluded to violate the rules of the CBA.

It seems reasonable to wait until the week before the draft to make a deal (or whenever a veteran QB is secured), if one is to be made. At that point, the team will know much more about the health of Brady and the availability of veteran QB's.

That makes no sense to me. Certainly not for the Pats, because it totally ties their hands in FA. But it doesn't make sense as well. The Pats didn't hold a gun to Cassel's head and force him to sign the franchise tender. If he hadn't signed it, then any team would have been free to sign him for 2 first round picks, but he chose to sign the tender indicating that he is happy staying with the Pats even though there is no certainty that he will remain a starter. It will be very hard to prove "intent to trade" unless someone can show collusion between the Pats and Cassel. GB and Minnesota used the tag and then traded the tagged player last year, so there is plenty of precedent.

The fact is, any team that was willing to spend 2 first round picks to sign Cassel as a franchise designee can probably still get him for 2 first round picks now, they will just have to negotiate with the Pats. Every team has an equal opportunity to negotiate. Offering 2 1st round picks for Cassel before he signed the tender would not have guaranteed that he would have signed the offer, if it was from a team for whom he did not want to play. I just don't see how anything is substantially changed.

Now that Cassel signed, who goes around trying to get a deal now, Cassel's agent or the Patriot front office?

Cassell knows he's set for life now, no matter what happens. This is an example of the correct way for a player to manage the tag situation, rather than shooting his way out of town and screwing over the team that developed him to the point that he's worth tens of millions (re: Samuel, Branch, Law).

Cassell's working with the Patriots, not against them. These tag scenarios can almost always be win-win if the player has the right attitude instead of it being ALL about him.

That makes no sense to me. Certainly not for the Pats, because it totally ties their hands in FA. But it doesn't make sense as well. The Pats didn't hold a gun to Cassel's head and force him to sign the franchise tender. If he hadn't signed it, then any team would have been free to sign him for 2 first round picks, but he chose to sign the tender indicating that he is happy staying with the Pats even though there is no certainty that he will remain a starter. It will be very hard to prove "intent to trade" unless someone can show collusion between the Pats and Cassel. GB and Minnesota used the tag and then traded the tagged player last year, so there is plenty of precedent.

The fact is, any team that was willing to spend 2 first round picks to sign Cassel as a franchise designee can probably still get him for 2 first round picks now, they will just have to negotiate with the Pats. Every team has an equal opportunity to negotiate. Offering 2 1st round picks for Cassel before he signed the tender would not have guaranteed that he would have signed the offer, if it was from a team for whom he did not want to play. I just don't see how anything is substantially changed.

Cassel would have been crazy not to accept the franchise offer.

This way the Patriots cannot withdraw the offer and Cassel is

guaranteed at least 14.6 million dollars.

Cassel would have been crazy not to accept the franchise offer.

This way the Patriots cannot withdraw the offer and Cassel is

guaranteed at least 14.6 million dollars.

Lots of tagged players don't signthe tender right away. Look at Jared Allen and Asante Samuel. And even if Cassel would have been crazy not to sign it, n one forced him to do so.

QUESTIONS
1) Does the CBA prohibit franchising a player with the intent to trade him?
2) If a trade is announced on February 27th, is it reasonable for SOME to believe that the patriots franchised Cassel in order to trade him?

The patriots don't yet need another league action. If a trade is announced (say with Detriot) in the first week of free agency with Cassel willing to sign a deal, several teams would file action with the league, certainly including Minny and the jets. They would have lost their chance to secure Cassel for two 1sts purusant to league rules.

There's a simple solution to this. Make sure Cassel's agent has contacted all 31 other clubs to gauge their interest in trading 2 first rounders for Cassel. It serves his purpose by increasing the potential demand (upping the price and potential size of the contact- and his 3%) and it removes from any club the complaint that they didn't have an opportunity to bid.
There is precedent to trading franchised players so the burden for other clubs in higher in proving a violation. That goes back to my point of planting potential news stories in the next week or so that Brady is on schedule to start the season, contradicting recent reports so the Patriots can claim good faith in franchising Cassel and then trading him. I think Cassel has 14.65 million reasons plus not to object.
If Goodell did try/punish the Patriots, I have a feeling that the Krafts' would ensure that he would be a one term commish and his term would end on 8/6/11 when his five year contract is up.......

So I'm sure this has been discussed ad naseum now, but has everyone come to terms with the fact that if Cassel doesn't like the team, or the deal that he's being offered under a potential trade he can block it - and therefore could collect his $15 million on the bench here and re-enter free agency next season as well?

Or is eveyone still trying to convince themselves that this changes nothing?

Now that Cassel signed, who goes around trying to get a deal now, Cassel's agent or the Patriot front office?

In these situations, the Pats grant permission to Cassell and his agent to look around for a team. At the same time, the Pats let teams know what their asking price is, which I think will be a 1st and a 2nd. When Cassell returns with a team, NE will negotiate compensation starting at their asking price. If the teams can't agree, then Cassell finds another team, but usually the first team is able to hammer out a deal.

There is a huge diff between a high 1st and low 1st, and a high 2nd and a low 2nd. So if the Pats say the value is a 1st and a 2nd, what they're really saying is a mid-1st and a mid-2nd (usually spread over 2 drafts). If the team is drafting mid-round (say 13 to 19), then it's a straightforward deal for the 1st and 2nd. If the team is drafting in the top 10 or bottom 10 then the 2 teams need to negotiate to get to that perceived value of a mid 1st + mid 2nd.

Lots of tagged players don't signthe tender right away. Look at Jared Allen and Asante Samuel. And even if Cassel would have been crazy not to sign it, n one forced him to do so.

The Pros of signing the tender now is that the Patriots can't revoke it now - he's got $15 million guranteed right now - and in the worst case scenario he blocks a trade because he doesn't like the team or the amount of money - take the $15 mil to ride the bench and goes into free agency next season and collects another big guranteed signing bonus, doing little to erode his value just because Tom Brady is starting ahead of him.

The Cons of signing it now is that he's under obligation to report and play in practice. Had he not signed the tender he would not be on the roster and under no obligation to put himself at risk.

I'm sure he's got a pretty good insurance policy that a portion of this $15 million is going towards though, just to protect his future signing bonus this year or next

The patriots don't yet need another league action. If a trade is announced (say with Detriot) in the first week of free agency with Cassel willing to sign a deal, several teams would file action with the league, certainly including Minny and the jets. They would have lost their chance to secure Cassel for two 1sts purusant to league rules. My understanding is that franchising with the intent to trade is a violation of league rules. Had Cassel NOT signed the tender, teams could have worked out a deal with Cassel and sent two firsts to the patriots. An early trade, with Cassel signing a long-term contract, would mean that the patriots and Cassel had purposely colluded to violate the rules of the CBA.

It seems reasonable to wait until the week before the draft to make a deal (or whenever a veteran QB is secured), if one is to be made. At that point, the team will know much more about the health of Brady and the availability of veteran QB's.

I do not think there is any rule or even a memo put out by the NFL specifically violating league rules when it comes to "tag & trade".

What I recall was the players union complaining about this a few years ago when the current CBA was extended.

There have been "tag & trades" since '06 for sure.

Also, if I am one of the teams in dire need of a QB, my choice is an unproven rookie, sign a has been vet for a year or two for big money or get MC. If I am looking to contend - I would go and get him, whether it takes my 1 & a 2 or even, if I have to - 2 #'1s. He is the only quality, experienced, proven (1 year I know) QB on the market that is young and still has huge upside potential. NO brainier if I am in Minny, or Det, or Tampa etc etc.

Last edited:
And if the jets offer this year's first and next year's first, the approximate value of the 9th pick in the draft? There might be as many as five teams that might be interested in offering two firsts, since the equivalent is only about the #9 pick in this draft. Belichick may be avoiding this because he likes to thumb his nose at the league, and he would have control of the negotiations.

There's a simple solution to this. Make sure Cassel's agent has contacted all 31 other clubs to gauge their interest in trading 2 first rounders for Cassel. It serves his purpose by increasing the potential demand (upping the price and potential size of the contact- and his 3%) and it removes from any club the complaint that they didn't have an opportunity to bid.
There is precedent to trading franchised players so the burden for other clubs in higher in proving a violation. That goes back to my point of planting potential news stories in the next week or so that Brady is on schedule to start the season, contradicting recent reports so the Patriots can claim good faith in franchising Cassel and then trading him. I think Cassel has 14.65 million reasons plus not to object.
If Goodell did try/punish the Patriots, I have a feeling that the Krafts' would ensure that he would be a one term commish and his term would end on 8/6/11 when his five year contract is up.......

And if the jets offer this year's first and next year's first, the approximate value of the 9th pick in the draft? There might be as many as five teams that might be interested in offering two firsts, since the equivalent is only about the #9 pick in this draft. Belichick may be avoiding this because he likes to thumb his nose at the league, and he would have control of the negotiations.

I say go right ahead for several reasons.
1) Jets are in cap trouble, especially with Favre playing Hamlet " to retire or not to retire" and holding his $10+ million cap number hostage. I'd like to see them negotiate an acceptable contract for Cassel.
2) If the Jets show some cajones and release Favre outright, what happens in he signs with the Vikings?. When Favre signed with the Jets last year, Schefter reported that there were poison pill provisions requiring the Jets to give up 3 first rounders if Favre played for an NFC North team in 2008 or 2009. If this is true, the Jets have to keep him until he retires, retaining his rights or risk having to come up with 5 first round picks- 3 for Favre and 2 for Cassel. It's not going to happen........though BB might enjoy the mind games..sort of like pulling the ball away when Charlie Brown went to kick it.....

I think the plan is to keep Cassel until Brady shows he's still going to play at a high level and make a definitive QB decision over the season. If he keeps Matt and Brady stumbles through next season (unlikely, but don't discount anything) Matt may very well be the long-term answer at QB after a surprising season.

That said, an amazing trade opportunity won't be left to get away and given the market vs need this year, that's probably what happens. But I don't think there will be any way to argue that this whole thing has only ever been a ploy to grab some extra picks.

I think I figured it out...Cassel likes money and he likes the Patriots...so he signed.

I think I figured it out...Cassel likes money and he likes the Patriots...so he signed.

I thought Patriots players hate their coach though. :eek:

BB's faith in Matt, which had alot of us screaming back in Aug. and Sept., paid off in spades in more ways than one. No doubt the Pats and Cassel are working together on this so that everyone wins.

Cassel's a stand up guy and a perfect fit for this organization. Hate to see him go if that happens.

Would he have gotten less money in three weeks after found out whom would give two firsts for him?

How is it Cassel's interest to hand over control of his career to the patriots? Or do you think that they would put Cassel before their own business or team interests?

How is it Cassel's interest to hand over control of his career to the patriots?

I don't think he is handing it over to the team because they both have to work together to make it successful. No team is going to trade two firsts or even one if they cannot get Cassel signed to a long term contract. If Matt doesn't want to go to a team (e.g. Detroit) he just doesn't have to agree to a long term contract saying he wants to play one year under the franchise tag and then leave as a free agent.. That trade won't happen and both sides lose. If he and the Pats work together to go to a team that is acceptable, he gets the long term contract, and the Pats get value in return. This only happens if they work together. The PAts have control but it's not like Cassel doesn't have a say, and a large one at that.

So I'm sure this has been discussed ad naseum now, but has everyone come to terms with the fact that if Cassel doesn't like the team, or the deal that he's being offered under a potential trade he can block it - and therefore could collect his $15 million on the bench here and re-enter free agency next season as well?

Or is eveyone still trying to convince themselves that this changes nothing?

It doesn't change nothing but I'm not sure why you think it changes what you say. They never were going to be able to trade him somewhere he didn't want to go. He's now under contract. He technically can't block anything. They can trade him without his consent. They won't because if he refuses to sign a long term deal, it is a deal killer. He'd have no value. That has always been the case. Signing the tender is irrelevant to his ability to decide where he plays.

What changed? Three things did but none of them are likely anyway.

The Pats could deal Cassel anywhere whether he wants to go or not and the other team can pay him his 1 yr deal with no renegotiation. If it were to happen, Cassel would either be a FA after 2009 or his new team would have to pay him 120% of his 2009 salary. This will almost certainly never happen.

Cassel now can't go out find a team willing to sign him for 2 #1s without any consent from NE. This was a lovely Patsfans.com fantasy but the reality is it was highly unlikely. The fact that a shark like David Dunn had him sign immediately means we can be pretty sure no one would even think about it much less do it. You can be sure Dunn talked to plenty of people in Tampa during Super Bowl week which no matter what the rules say is when many big FA deals are negotiated.

The Pats now can't remove the tag from him free of charge after the draft if they couldn't trade him. By that point Cassel's options while not eliminated would be much more limited. What if come mini-camp they've determined Brady was healthy and O'Connell has displayed enough to be a #2. You think BB would carry Cassel at that cap #? That situation isn't very likely either but not impossible. It was considered possible enough by Dunn/Cassel that they acted and eliminated the chance of it immediately.

So what changed? Not much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back