PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: 11 of 12 footballs under inflated by 2 pounds of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did not say that's what happened. He said that if the balls were checked at halftime, they would have been brought up to standard PSI. He never said that he knows it happened.
No, he specifically said the balls were checked at halftime and all twelve were below, 11 were 2 PSI below. When asked if they were then inflated to proper pressure, he indicated that he would certainly assume so, would be standard procedure, but he could not testify to that affect.

There was no such declaration on if the balls were below, he flat out said they were measured

What does people hating the patriots have to do with the balls being deflated tho?

It's a stupid story, who cares we won 41-7 and thoroughly dominated. Both teams used the same balls. People got to get over this.

the greatest twist would be if Brady ended up being the only guilty party in this.

The media would have no idea what to do.

It was Tom Brady with the candlestick in the library. I mean, needle. Pre-game when getting ready for an AFCCG he was busying himself with deflating all the balls.

we gonna start a new thread with every shred of new, breaking, insignificant news?
Yes, this should be moved.

Regardless, until/unless someone says "I did it" nothing changes. Maybe a Ball Attendant has already confessed, who knows. But if everyone denies wrongdoing . . .

we gonna start a new thread with every shred of new, breaking, insignificant news?
lol good point...now allow me to ignore that and comment :)

So...I guess when the NFL said the investigation would be thorough and transparent, they meant they would slowly leak incomplete information regarding their investigation through Mike Florio?

Oh wait, the "thorough and transparent" thing was through him via a source too...

This is a pathetic display by the NFL.

We're being set up.

new threads are needed otherwise they get lost in teh shuffle.

ONE KEY QUESTION: WHAT WAS THE INITIAL PRESSURE? 12.5? 13?

It's significant.

If it was 13, why wouldn't the patriots just have used 12.5? If it was 12.5, the math makes some sense that it could go to the low 11s. See other thread.

Also maybe in the course of a game a typical ball LOSES .1 or .2 PSI. Not even noticeable. But here, coupled with the temperature decrease from a toasty 72 where it's pumped up to a rain soaked (and thus heat conducting away from the ball) 45, it would be a significant part of the difference. IE 12.5 to 11 maybe .2 of that is from being used and 1.3 is from the temp difference.

No, he specifically said the balls were checked at halftime and all twelve were below, 11 were 2 PSI below. When asked if they were then inflated to proper pressure, he indicated that he would certainly assume so, would be standard procedure, but he could not testify to that affect.

There was no such declaration on if the balls were below, he flat out said they were measured
I was reading these quotes:
Former NFL official Gerry Austin was on the “Mike & Mike” show on ESPN Radio on Wednesday morning and addressed that question.

Mike Greenberg: “If the balls were checked at halftime and were found to be under-inflated would they then be pumped up to meet regulation at that point, meaning that they then would have played the second half with balls that met regulation? “

Austin: “To my understanding that's what would have occurred. They would have brought the balls back up to the standard.”

Greenberg: “But, you don't know one way or another if they did do that?”

Austin: “I don't know that for a fact, but it would really surprise me if that did not happen. If they brought them in to check them and they are under-inflated, then they are going to inflate them to get them back up to standard.”
Regardless, it's come out that they were checked at half time. Shame on NE for pulling such trivial crap to put themselves under the microscope again. I was really looking forward to a SB win to silence all the Camera-Gate brigade.

I'm sure this has been said before, but to reiterate, if the NFL had a big issues with ball inflation issues, they would have addressed it when Phil Simms said during a broadcast that aaron rodgers pumps the balls up over the allowable amount. By doing nothing they they led teams to believe this practice was ok.

I'm sure this has been said before, but to reiterate, if the NFL had a big issues with ball inflation issues, they would have addressed it when Phil Simms said during a broadcast that aaron rodgers pumps the balls up over the allowable amount. By doing nothing they they led teams to believe this practice was ok.
Except the refs then check the ball and let air out to get them in the allowed range. Just like the refs checked the balls for NE before the game and they were there. Before halftime, however, they were not.

The 2 PSI is the writer's calculation from 13 psi (NFL mean of 13.5 and 12.5) to 11.

If it was 12.5PSI to start with (which would be legal) then it was a 1.5PSI decrease.

Much more explainable. Well 25% more anyway.

Except the refs then check the ball and let air out to get them in the allowed range. Just like the refs checked the balls for NE before the game and they were there. Before halftime, however, they were not.
Rodgers implied that he gets away with it. He gets it past them somehow.

Why isnt belichick and kraft talking? I have seen nothing from these guys

Why isnt belichick and kraft talking? I have seen nothing from these guys

Because they don't respond to BSPN unnamed source reports.

They will respond when the NFL makes a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents