PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ERIC MOULDS anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moulds had 57 catches last year. For a guy who people think is close to "done," them's mighty close to Caldwell numbers - and with David Carr throwing to him, and Andre Johnson getting the first looks.

and the yr before he had 81 for a team juggling b/w qbs

Moulds had 57 catches last year. For a guy who people think is close to "done," them's mighty close to Caldwell numbers - and with David Carr throwing to him, and Andre Johnson getting the first looks.
As unimpressive as it may seem, Moulds is a significant upgrade over any WR now on this team.

I think Moulds has something left, but I don't know if he can be a fulltime starter. With the number of 3 plus WR sets we like to run, he can still get a ton of playing time as a #3 WR. I just don't know if he is a #1 or 2 WR at this point.

Agreed. People here seem to think this is the Eric Moulds of three or four years ago. The guy is over the hill.

see this is when the pats make their biggest splashes with fas
when most ppl think they are over the hill, have too many injury probs, etc etc etc

everyone said the same thing when i said, and about one or two backed me up, for picking up gaffney two months before it happened

when most think these diff things the guys can be had at the cheap and if you take on say four of these guys, one of them will stick and be a key contributor

Moulds is completely over the hill. He would be the number three at best on this team.
Even "completely over the hill" he's still better than what we now have. Our WR corps is a complete joke. If it wasn't for Brady being the QB tossing balls to these guys they'd all be unemployed.

Even "completely over the hill" he's still better than what we now have. Our WR corps is a complete joke. If it wasn't for Brady being the QB tossing balls to these guys they'd all be unemployed.

Yet again, that's rubbish.

I'm not saying they're great, because they aren't, but there is no way Moulds would be better than all of them. Aside from Andre Johnson, who do the Texans have at WR? They made a trade a signed an extension because they wanted him so bady. Clearly he was not very good for them to cut him.

Agreed. People here seem to think this is the Eric Moulds of three or four years ago. The guy is over the hill.

People are acting that way about Randy Moss too. The thing is we can sign probably sign Moulds to the veteran minimum plus incentives to prove you wrong. Moulds would be a low risk move with decent upside potential. That is the only reason I would consider it.

If another team decided to offer him a decent size multiyear contract, I would pass. An one to two year deal with most of the money in incentives and I would jump at Moulds in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't go that far. We lacked depth and a true #1 WR, but if Caldwell plays like he did last year and Gaffney plays like he did in the playoffs; they are two pretty good #2 or 3 WRs.

see this is when the pats make their biggest splashes with fas
when most ppl think they are over the hill, have too many injury probs, etc etc etc

everyone said the same thing when i said, and about one or two backed me up, for picking up gaffney two months before it happened

when most think these diff things the guys can be had at the cheap and if you take on say four of these guys, one of them will stick and be a key contributor

Sure, it can work to sign those types of guys on the cheap, but that stategy is also how you end up with:

- A one dimensional offense, because you signed WRs off other teams' trash heaps on the cheap. Opposing defenses know that you don't have a deep threat or a playmaker at the WR position, so they are free to stack the line of scrimmage and take away the quick passes.

- A linebacking corps that blows the AFCCG, because they can't stop the run or cover anyone. Everyone was so happy when we signed Seau because he was cheap, and he did play well when he was in there, but, surprise, surprise, the 37 year old man got injured and suddenly we had nothing at the position.

So you can find some decent players on the cheap when you go for over the hill, injury prone, or otherwise questionable veteran players, but it does tend to come back and bite you in the butt from time to time.

Last edited:
Yet again, that's rubbish.

I'm not saying they're great, because they aren't, but there is no way Moulds would be better than all of them. Aside from Andre Johnson, who do the Texans have at WR? They made a trade a signed an extension because they wanted him so bady. Clearly he was not very good for them to cut him.
I'm not sure that I'd put much value in any decision that the Bengal organization makes when it comes to player personnel.

But I do know that the talent level of our WR corps is pretty much as low as it can go and that I'd bet large coin that Eric Moulds, on 1 leg, would beat out any of the WR stiffs now on this team.

Our WR corps is a complete joke. If it wasn't for Brady being the QB tossing balls to these guys they'd all be unemployed.

:agree:

These guys were all picked off of other teams' trash heaps. San Diego didn't exactly have a ton of quality WRs, but they let Caldwell go. Houston wasn't brimming with talent at the position, but they let Gaffney go. Don't get me wrong, its great that those guys can come in here and be productive, but lets not pretend there is a lot of talent at the position.

That said, Moulds is still over the hill. Get me Bennett, Curtis, Stalworth, or at least a younger guy like Gage.

Last edited:
Do the Texans not know what they're doing or what? Let Gaffney go, trade a 5th for Moulds, let Moulds go...

I for one would be interested in Moulds. He clearly values Belichick's coaching ability, and there's a good chance his mindset is of the "time to win" variety. I don't think you can look at stats from oneyear in Houstan and say he's hit the wall. If anyone has actually WATCHED Houstan play this year, please share your knowledge. You also have my condolences. :p

: Get me Bennett, Curtis, Stalworth, or at least a younger guy like Gage.

Gage intrigues me. I really thought that he would have made a bigger impact by now. Former QB, big, athletic, smart...but nothing to show for it. Yet.

Do the Texans not know what they're doing or what? Let Gaffney go, trade a 5th for Moulds, let Moulds go...

I for one would be interested in Moulds. He clearly values Belichick's coaching ability, and there's a good chance his mindset is of the "time to win" variety. I don't think you can look at stats from oneyear in Houstan and say he's hit the wall. If anyone has actually WATCHED Houstan play this year, please share your knowledge. You also have my condolences. :p

texans let moulds go most likely because they are rebuilding and need to shed high priced vets like moulds. assuming he's willing, a low-priced vet like moulds could look real good in a pats uniform. i would think brady would like a veteran target to throw to

As unimpressive as it may seem, Moulds is a significant upgrade over any WR now on this team.

Bobs, you misunderstood my post. I was saying Moulds' 2006 season WASN'T as bad as some here seem to think. 57 catches with David Carr throwing to you, in a new system, Andre Johnson ALWAYS getting the first looks, etc... - not at all bad.

Oh, and people using the phrase "over the hill" re: Moulds and that he'd be the #3 WR on this team - please just step away from the keyboard. The guy's no longer in his prime, but he obviously can still play. Hyperbole isn't helpful, especially inaccurate hyperbole.

Bobs, you misunderstood my post. I was saying Moulds' 2006 season WASN'T as bad as some here seem to think. 57 catches with David Carr throwing to you, in a new system, Andre Johnson ALWAYS getting the first looks, etc... - not at all bad.

Oh, and people using the phrase "over the hill" re: Moulds and that he'd be the #3 WR on this team - please just step away from the keyboard. The guy's no longer in his prime, but he obviously can still play. Hyperbole isn't helpful, especially inaccurate hyperbole.

vikings interested in mouds

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-ricouldsikingsaybent&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

texans let moulds go most likely because they are rebuilding and need to shed high priced vets like moulds. assuming he's willing, a low-priced vet like moulds could look real good in a pats uniform. i would think brady would like a veteran target to throw to
Is that why they acquired Moulds, and let Gaffney go cheap too? They are thrashing around in the dark.

This is pure dumb. Even Andre Davis got a job after he left here. If you like Moulds, fine. I do, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News