PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Moore returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have signed this guy on the cheap to begin with instead of giving Shaun Ellis however many million for nothing.

Meh. Ellis is a solid, veteran presence who is better vs the run.

IIRC as a edge guy on the d-line, that was a glaring issue which was his ability setting the edge vs the run.

Clearly, you missed those 2 quarters at the end of last year where he had a slight impact ;)

Sucks that Cunningham has gotten completely lost in the shuffle and didn't do well with the transition. I thought we might have finally had a burgeoning pass rusher after his play last year. Didn't put up many sacks but was so close to having a handful and looked pretty athletic.

Perhaps Moore is a better fit for the 4 man fronts.

I hope Moore lights it up for us. BUT, he's only being brought in because Cunningham, who is an afterthought, is being IR'd. Moore won't make a difference whether we advance further in the playoffs or not, much like Cunningham would have been insignificant.

The bigger issue is, now that Cunningham is officially a dud, who is available for us in the draft? Is it better for us to fill this position via free agents instead of wasting more picks to fill this position?

I hope Moore lights it up for us. BUT, he's only being brought in because Cunningham, who is an afterthought, is being IR'd. Moore won't make a difference whether we advance further in the playoffs or not, much like Cunningham would have been insignificant.

If last year is any indication, Moore represents a substantial roster upgrade over Cunningham. 4 games 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles....

The bigger issue is, now that Cunningham is officially a dud, who is available for us in the draft?

No question that this year was a lost cause for Cunningham , he was in on the guy played 50% of the defensive snaps last year. He wasn't terrible is my point. I think that because they changed the defense and he came into camp in less than ideal shape, that really killed his season. That's the worst thing for a young player. I'm not ready to say he is a bust, but hes real close. Taking this big of a step back is real bad.

Is it better for us to fill this position via free agents instead of wasting more picks to fill this position?

Clearly BB has been more successful adding DE/OLBs via FA than the draft. With that said, he has not spent (except Cunningham) anything higher than a 3rd RD pick on the position. He needs to decide if he a) wants a DE or a OLB and b) how much draft currency will he spend on the position. I'm pretty certain that if BB saw the next Lawrence Taylor on the board, he'd make serious run at the kid.

Last edited:
If last year is any indication, Moore represents a substantial roster upgrade over Cunningham. 4 games 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles....

While this is a true statement, the fact that BB cut him and was out of the league until now is the reason why I'm not very optimistic.

No question that this year was a lost cause for Cunningham , he was in on the guy played 50% of the defensive snaps last year. He wasn't terrible is my point. I think that because they changed the defense and he came into camp in less than ideal shape, that really killed his season. That's the worst thing for a young player. I'm not ready to say he is a bust, but hes real close. Taking this big of a step back is real bad.

He showed some flash against Baltimore, and had a near sack against the Colts that prove to be a huge play for us, but if you look at his entire year as a whole, there was nothing consistent to say he was going to be a good player for us in the future. He got taken out of games and replaced by Arrington as a pass rusher on obvious downs.

Clearly BB has been more successful adding DE/OLBs via FA than the draft. With that said, he has not spent (except Cunningham) anything higher than a 3rd RD pick on the position. He needs to decide if he a) wants a DE or a OLB and b) how much draft currency will he spend on the position. I'm pretty certain that if BB saw the next Lawrence Taylor on the board, he'd make serious run at the kid.

I'm fine with BB using FA to get us our DEs and OLBs. Problem with that is that the good ones are going to cost $$$. Ideally, drafting would be the way to go because they are greater value when they turn out to be good players when you take into account their rookie salary compared to high priced FAs and their salary.

Cunningham won't make it out of training camp next year unless he has a beast off season. But even then, that requires more personal work than anything. And he's proven he can't show up in shape unless he's being forced along by the coaches. Bummer, he seemed like a good kid.

While this is a true statement, the fact that BB cut him and was out of the league until now is the reason why I'm not very optimistic.

Fair point. He could prove to be worthless this year. But based on what he did last year and the time he had here in preseason, I think he can contribute a heck of a lot more than Cunningham in a situational role.

He showed some flash against Baltimore, and had a near sack against the Colts that prove to be a huge play for us, but if you look at his entire year as a whole, there was nothing consistent to say he was going to be a good player for us in the future. He got taken out of games and replaced by Arrington as a pass rusher on obvious downs.

He was a rookie. I don't think anyone expected him to be consistent.

The Arrington example is a reach. He a CB. You can't serious enough to imply that BB thinks Arrington is a better pass rusher than Cunningham.

I'm fine with BB using FA to get us our DEs and OLBs. Problem with that is that the good ones are going to cost $$$. Ideally, drafting would be the way to go because they are greater value when they turn out to be good players when you take into account their rookie salary compared to high priced FAs and their salary.

With the rookie cap in place, I'd like nothing more than to see BB burn a 1st rounder on a rookie OLB/DE than can bring consistent pressure to the QB. At the same time, I do support the philosophy of getting good value for the pick and stock-piling picks as drafts are a crap shoot anyways.

Fair point. He could prove to be worthless this year. But based on what he did last year and the time he had here in preseason, I think he can contribute a heck of a lot more than Cunningham in a situational role.

I can agree with you on the bold. However, doesn't Anderson already bring that type of role for us.

He was a rookie. I don't think anyone expected him to be consistent.

The Arrington example is a reach. He a CB. You can't serious enough to imply that BB thinks Arrington is a better pass rusher than Cunningham.

I'm not trying to imply anything. I'm just commenting on the fact that down the stretch, Arrington was in there on pass rushing situations instead of Cunningham.

With the rookie cap in place, I'd like nothing more than to see BB burn a 1st rounder on a rookie OLB/DE than can bring consistent pressure to the QB. At the same time, I do support the philosophy of getting good value for the pick and stock-piling picks as drafts are a crap shoot anyways.

Agree with this.

Cunningham won't make it out of training camp next year unless he has a beast off season. But even then, that requires more personal work than anything. And he's proven he can't show up in shape unless he's being forced along by the coaches. Bummer, he seemed like a good kid.

I'm trying to think of a relatively high pick — above fourth round — who has managed to dig himself out and become a contributing player, after being sent to the BB doghouse early in his career. I got nothing. Anyone?

Eric Moore is one of the bottom 3 players on the roster. IMHO,bBeing a backup to Anderson is an OK use of such a roster position. Belichick clearly feels that Moore is at least as good a choice as Cunningham for this role. I think that we all agree. There is no downside to this move, even if Moore is inactive every week (that just means that Anderson is healthy and producing).

I can agree with you on the bold. However, doesn't Anderson already bring that type of role for us?

So glad Eric is back. Been wanting him back since Sept.

Let's play glass half empty/half full.

Some people are disappointed with cunningham, even though i doubt anyone expected him to be as good as Andre Carter right now.

Since I don't care at all where someone was drafted...

Here's glass half full.

Right now, we have solid players at DE/OLB in Carter, Anderson, Nincovich and Moore.

Next year, without any further picks or acquisitions, we start with under 30 players Anderson, Nincovich, cunningham and Markell Carter pushing the aforementioned.

A lot better than we have had. If we play more 3-4, we know the transition takes a while, so i think that's a pretty good stockpile.

By the way, is anyone still calling anybody Stinkovich?

I didn't say they were going back to the 3-4 next year and besides, it seems they are in sub packages more than anything else these days.

I love Carter, i'd like for him to play as much as possible next year. Why shouldn't we be able to sign him? at his age, he's worth a lot more to us than on the open market.

Thanks for proving there is always a negative way of looking at things, fits right in with the theme.

You were talking about the players we have and which ones might be back next year, you also mentioned the 3-4.

Next year we may not have have Anderson or Andre Carter since will both be free agents, Markell Carter has had offers from other teams. Cunningham has fallenl of the face of the earth.

If they go back to the 3-4 Andre Carter and Anderson, both free agents, are not ideal fits as 3-4 OLBs or 3-4 DEs, both are better suited to 4-3 DEs.

I simply said Ninkovich is the only player who fits in either scheme (he has shown he can play as either a 3-4 or 4-3 LB) and is signed for next year.

How that is viewed as a negative way of looking at things is beyond me but it does fit in with the usual overreactive post so popular here on Patsfans.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes