PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Enter Elandon Roberts: welcome to a new NE playmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought his college tape looked like a guy whose game and body weren't fit for the NFL. Too light, and primarily a north/south defender who was reckless with his disruption. I thought he would get eaten alive at this level and would basically have to change his entire game to be the least bit successful on this defense. His numbers looked like simply a product of his role on a college defense.

I'm not one to comment on other guys' lower half, but they showed his backside in a huddle, and I thought it was Sheard's butt before I looked at the number. Definitely put on some weight.
So, to sum it up in one sentence you liked what you saw today? :D

You know what's great about a thread like this? Elandon Roberts himself will see this, and gain confidence from it... everybody was so high on those CBs coming out of training camp, I was as surprised as anyone when they kept Roberts.... it's almost as if BB and his coaching staff know better than me with my cursory looks at this message board ahahahahahahaha!

I like what he brings to this team, one good game does not necessarily prove much.. remember Jonas Gray??

Was good to see #54 getting some rest before the next stretch of games..

The postseason weeks count too, don't they? I remember the ARZ Cards holding out hope that RB Chris Johnson would be able to return for the SB if they made it that far.

Going by that, the team could technically choose to wait all the way until mid-November and still have him back for mid-January's first playoff game (assuming we'd get a bye of course).
That sounds right to me. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I hope Roberts can keep up a high level and push Freeny down the depth chart. He just plays much more dynamic than Freeny who, despite being an okay athlete, seems to be late on just about everything.

I thought he would get eaten alive at this level and would basically have to change his entire game to be the least bit successful on this defense.

To add some temper to this forge; remember this is his first real game action at this level. If he can keep it going after coaches have some tape to look at, or craft 1-2 plays to attack him - and he succeeds at the same level - then we certainly have a keeper!

You know what's great about a thread like this? Elandon Roberts himself will see this, and gain confidence from it... everybody was so high on those CBs coming out of training camp, I was as surprised as anyone when they kept Roberts.... it's almost as if BB and his coaching staff know better than me with my cursory looks at this message board ahahahahahahaha!

They not only kept him, they kept him over the guy who was drafted higher, and who showed promise himself in Kamu Grugier-Hill.

And KGH was quickly claimed as well.

Last edited:
When they drafted Roberts, I did my usual "who's that?" reaction and didn't think too much of him, but when I saw him in the preseason I noticed that he seemed to be a high motor guy who played with intensity and always seemed to be around the ball. I figured he'd end up on the PS and was surprised when they kept him over Grugier-Hill, but now he's out there producing during meaningful snaps which bodes well.

Today was definitely a statement - he wasn't just racking up cleanup tackles, he jumped off the screen as a guy who was making legit plays against the run and pass. Hopefully this is something he can build on.

I think excelling in space was more or less expected, the big question mark was whether a guy of his size could avoid being a liability against the run. That makes today's performance especially encouraging.
I can't agree with you more. I even posted about him in the game thread. He impressed me more in one game than McClellan in preseason and the regular season combined. I'd definitely like to see some more before I start proclaiming he's the next coming, but I definitely was extremely impressed with what I saw yesterday.

definitely a breath of fresh air and hopefully him and Mingo can bring some extra spark to this defense. We just have to hope for consistency of course but hopefully he keeps getting the reps with Mcclellin hurt and Hightower limited.

He was a finger tip away from getting something on that long pass to Barnidge up the middle late in the game too. He was electric in this one, hopefully hungry for more.

I'd say about 95 percent didn't even have him making the opening day 53 man roster.

I actually lucked out and had him, not due to scouting smarts or football knowledge, but simply due to the fact that I thought we were coming up a bit short for that position, numbers-wise. I also was a bit skeptical of Shae McClellin, and still am to be honest.
We were hyped about Kamu Grugier Hill, and with High and Collins i thought that he would be on PS.
Some draft reports that he is good against run and not good at pass covegare. If not Kamu than Elandon.
I just hope that Hightower is ok.

I still want KGH back. :(

BB knows what he likes and is patient. You might get him back at some point

EDIT: When they brought Mingo his job at ST and back up LB was taken. I love KGH but Mingo is big and experienced upgrade. Im sure BB would love him on PS.

For the moment he's only on ST in Philly.

Last edited:
hopefully him and Mingo can bring some extra spark to this defense

Not mentioned yet that I've seen - Mingo was in on quite a few snaps in the second half yesterday, but not on the stat sheet that I saw. I remember at least two pass rushes, but he was handled by the linemen pretty handily. I did see him make at least two solid plays on ST however.

I like what he brings to this team, one good game does not necessarily prove much.. remember Jonas Gray??

Was good to see #54 getting some rest before the next stretch of games..
#54 needs it. That guy is so damn good, but his physical nature lends to plenty of injuries, which is the only knock on High if ever there could be just one. I'd like to see him make it through a whole season at some point. I do love his resilience, though, because he often plays through the injuries.

The face of #52 ..

A few ounces added here as well it seems ..

Does not look like 225 lbs.... looks beefier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes