PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliton Manning vs. Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this is no doubt a sign that the Season Opener can't get here soon enough.

But, with all the hype over Peyton's Denver debut and Eli's quest to repeat, I got to thinking that Eli has done better in the postseason in comparison to Peyton and Peyton has done better in the regular season in comparison to Eli.

So, I wondered, if I added Eli and Peyton's career stats together would I get a Tom Brady? How would Eliton Manning stack up against Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr.

Well, Eliton's played a lot more games than our Tom, but his regular season winning percentage is still only 0.642 vs. TB's 0.780 (Eli = 0.580, Peyton = 0.678).

Eliton's thrown and completed a lot more passes, but his stats still don't top those of the lad from Junipero Serra High School. Brady's Completion percentage is 63.8% and Eliton's is 62.6%.

Brady and Eliton have virtually the same Yards per Completion and Attempt stats, but Tommy is more likely to throw a TD (5.6% of the time vs. 5.2% for Eliton) and less likely to throw a pick (2.2% of the time vs. 2.9%).

That all adds up to a combined Pass Rating for Eliton of 90.4 vs. our guy's 96.4.

In the Post Season, Eliton and Tom each have three rings, but Tom's gone to the big game five times and Eliton four. Tom's post season winning percentage is 0.696, while Eliton's is only 0.567 (Peyton = 0.474, Eli = 0.727)

So, if you put Eli and Peyton together, you get a pretty darn good QB, whom I sure wouldn't kick off any team of mine.

But, Eliton Manning is still not as good or consistent as Tom Brady.

Peyton's stats are slightly worse than Brady's, and Eli's are much worse. So, I don't think anyone is surprised that the combined stats are worse as well.

Also if you are just using career stat averages, why wouldn't you just take Peyton over Eli?

Last edited:
All i have to say is ELIzabeth Manning is the luckiest QB ever, throwing Hail Marys and his WRs materializing out of thin air to make passes that will top the Sportscenter top ten plays of the century

why on earth would you bring up eli on this forum?

Someone has to much time on their hands

I don't think anyone is surprised that the combined stats are worse as well.

Also if you are just using career stat averages, why wouldn't you just take Peyton over Eli?

I think it was simply a tongue in cheek exercise to point out that Brady is much better in just about every single category, despite the constant ballwashing that the 2 Manning brothers receive, especially lately.

There's nothing wrong with a look at the comparative numbers, is there?

While I more or less acknowledged that in my opening sentence, I think the comparison was interesting. The result?

Eli + Peyton < Brady

The point of the comparison is that one is notoriously a Regular Season QB who underperforms in the Post-season and the other sucks in the Regular Season but somehow pulls wins out of his butt in the Post-season.

I wondered what you got if you put their stats together too.

Well, I brought him up in this thread for the reasons stated, which were as much for summer doldrums fun as anything else, as I said in my opening sentence.

But, in general, what's wrong with discussing a QB who has beaten us three consecutive times, including on our home field and in two SB's?

Am I supposed to be afraid to even mention his name in a Pats forum? Are we that insecure and defensive?

Don't five trips to the SB in 11 seasons with three Lombardi's give us the swagger and confidence to look objectively at our foes without getting all nervous and scared?

Well, I brought him up in this thread for the reasons stated, which were as much for summer doldrums fun as anything else, as I said in my opening sentence.

But, in general, what's wrong with discussing a QB who has beaten us three consecutive times, including on our home field and in two SB's?

Am I supposed to be afraid to even mention his name in a Pats forum? Are we that insecure and defensive?

Don't five trips to the SB in 11 seasons with three Lombardi's give us the swagger and confidence to look objectively at our foes without getting all nervous and scared?

look i realize brady's accomplishments, but no one here wants to even think about eli manning after 2 heart breaking losses.

look i realize brady's accomplishments, but no one here wants to even think about eli manning after 2 heart breaking losses.

OK. Understood. For my part, I still haven't watch the replay of either game.

But, I find Eli intriguing.

I mean his regular season performance is truly mediocre. Putting aside his Rookie year, in three of his seven starting seasons he's had a cumulative record of 25--23 and somehow won a ring in one of those. How is it that a guy that seems to sleepwalk his way through the regular season can put together the runs he put together in 2007 and 2011?

Sure, he got lucky last year, especially at the end of game in San Francisco and the Tyree catch is kind of the definition of "luck." But, luck is part of the game and, still, somehow he made the plays when he had to make them.

He had to elude the rush that enabled him to throw the Tyree ball (we can piss and moan all we want that he was "in the grasp," but that and three bucks will get us a latte at Starbucks) and he still had to find Plaxico open and put the ball in his hands after the velcro catch. Last time, he put that ball where only Manningham could catch it. Meanwhile, Brady has an other-worldly MVP regular season but starts the SB with a Safety and then has enough throws that maybe should have been caught (at least in Gisele's opinion) but in the view of many are just a little bit off, including the one to Welker, with the result that he couldn't put the Giants away.

Eli reminds me a lot of Phil Mickelson in his prime. Often, Phil just seemed bored or distracted or not in the game and could be counted on to make a bonehead decision or play that costs him a couple of shots. Then, two holes later he snaps out of it, hits an impossible wedge, wakes up and wins the Tournament.

Eli seems to zone out for whole games and even stretches of games and then seems to wake up and figure out how to string four wins together in January and February. It's maddening!!! And, watching him in the New York media, he's an infuriatingly decent, unassuming guy who doesn't make the social scene and spends 99% of his time with his family. It would be a lot easier if he were a jerk like the Sanchize or a showboater like Tebow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe