PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Edit Source] Boston Herald: no surprise here: Vereen likely to IR (red-shirt) yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would have to be one hellacious hamstring pull to put a second round draft pick on IR during the preseason.

He participated in a few practices? I thought he participated in one practice, two at the most.

Medlin has a chance now, I liked him in game 1.

He participated in a few practices? I thought he participated in one practice, two at the most.

To put on a tinfoil hat, it's really interesting to me that the four biggest X factors on the team (and I mean by that guys where it's anybody's guess exactly how we use them) are Vereen, Dowling, Haynesworth and Ellis, and none of them are participating in public practices. [Everybody knows what we'll do with Solder and it's not hard to guess what we'll do with 85.]

If all of the sudden they start participating in closed practices I will be convinced that BB is using them as secret weapons. (Possibly at the direction of the Illumnati or martians, of course).

"Shane is day to day and working hard to get back on the practice field". This is the typical BB response, that can go for anyone.

That would have to be one hellacious hamstring pull to put a second round draft pick on IR during the preseason.

I'll say! Honestly, one reporter idly speculates that the team will trash the rookie season of a promising 2nd-round pick based on practices missed before the 2nd exhibition game, and the thread title not only declares this outcome "no surprise" but invokes the dreaded myth of the "IR redshirt year"?

smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

I dream of the day I can stop saying this: nobody "stashes" a healthy and promising rookie on IR just to protect him from the cutdown day waiver wire. Losing the whole rookie season -- not just games, but more importantly practices -- is a huge, huge blow to the player's development.

Ellis has not practiced. He is eligible for the PUP list. At this point, there is no reason to believe that he will be on the 53 man roster.

Haynsworth is simply a question mark. I expect that he will be on the 53. After all, even if he is available for goal line and run defense in a few weeks, he is well worth having on the 53 man roster.

To put on a tinfoil hat, it's really interesting to me that the four biggest X factors on the team (and I mean by that guys where it's anybody's guess exactly how we use them) are Vereen, Dowling, Haynesworth and Ellis, and none of them are participating in public practices. [Everybody knows what we'll do with Solder and it's not hard to guess what we'll do with 85.]

If all of the sudden they start participating in closed practices I will be convinced that BB is using them as secret weapons. (Possibly at the direction of the Illumnati or martians, of course).

Ellis has not practiced. He is eligible for the PUP list. At this point, there is no reason to believe that he will be on the 53 man roster.

I disagree. The size of his contract, signed after a thorough physical, is a reason to believe they expect him to make the 53.

This seems like pure speculation and I'm not buying it. You never know how serious injuries are with BB until a roster move is made. I'm more concerned about Dowling, the transition for a CB is much more difficult than it is for a RB. Once Vereen is healthy he will be able to step right in and play, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I disagree. The size of his contract, signed after a thorough physical, is a reason to believe they expect him to make the 53.

That's my take as well. If you've concluded there isn't that much upside to having Ellis practice (he's a veteran DL so he doesn't need much practice and you're trying to conserve him anyway) then even if he's healthy why bother taking him off the PUP list? This way if he does have a minor injury you can PUP him for the first six weeks, an option you wouldn't have if he'd practiced.

doubt they put him on IR for a hamstring....a true IR year would mean the team would get an additional year of rights to him for a rookie level salary....but that's not the case.

doubt they put him on IR for a hamstring....a true IR year would mean the team would get an additional year of rights to him for a rookie level salary....but that's not the case.

Really? I never heard this before.

Really? I never heard this before.

I think SDS might be kinda wrong. Though he could be right.
The impression I got is that if a player (say Ras I) got injured and it was either a non football accident (say a car crash) or he was drafted injured, and he didn't play that year (spent on IR), that season wasn't counted.

To be fair to the Herald (I guess even they deserve fairness) this struck me merely as a throw-away line of speculation in their story.

" ... Vereen has taken part in only a few padded sessions before tweaking a hamstring. Vereen even might find himself getting a redshirt year if he’s not back soon."

Who’s making the cut for Patriots? - BostonHerald.com

Not a whole lot of "likely" in there, from what I can see.

The guy's a high draft pick who has been on the sidelines for a week of practice. I'd be surprised if that led to IR.

I'm fine either way. Ellis will be a major plus this year. The question is when he will be available. I do see advantages in have Love or Brace on the squad for 6 weeks or so (as insurance) if Ellis isn't ready to start the season.

QUOTE=patchick;2637061]I disagree. The size of his contract, signed after a thorough physical, is a reason to believe they expect him to make the 53.[/QUOTE]

I'm fine either way. Ellis will be a major plus this year. The question is when he will be available. I do see advantages in have Love or Brace on the squad for 6 weeks or so (as insurance) if Ellis isn't ready to start the season.

Do you think Brace is still in the Pats plans going forward?

it is speculation. The dude has missed tons of time... I don't think for a RB TC time is crucial vs other positions
Then why would you title the thread LIKELY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back