PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Edit Source] Boston Herald: no surprise here: Vereen likely to IR (red-shirt) yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't he be?

Other than the injuries, failed conditioning test, poor on field play, and inability to get on the practice field? I want him to do well as much as anybody but we're into year three and he hasn't shown all that much yet.

I do think they have him and Deadrick on the PUP list in part so they can bring them in as midseason reinforcements/replacements when some combination of Warren/Love/Richard/Weston/Wright get hurt or wear down.

Boston Herald speculating this = they had nothing to write about this morning.

IR is not a "redshirt." They can't practice, it's detrimental to their development. Who was the last player that we IR'd his rookie year that actually came back and did something the next? I can't name any good ones. If Shane hits IR that will be incredibly disappointing.

Other than the injuries, failed conditioning test, poor on field play, and inability to get on the practice field? I want him to do well as much as anybody but we're into year three and he hasn't shown all that much yet.

I do think they have him and Deadrick on the PUP list in part so they can bring them in as midseason reinforcements/replacements when some combination of Warren/Love/Richard/Weston/Wright get hurt or wear down.
Brace played well last year. There have been no confirmed reports that he ever failed a conditioning test, and you don't take someone out of your plans becuase of an injury they will recover from.

Other than that, nice post.

No surprise here. Isn't Dowling injured as well? (shocking...) I could see him suffering the same fate.

They should change the rule on players hurt in the preseason and make them PUP eligible.
The reason IR is season-ending is that in the past, when IR was only a few games, teams used to stash players there with exaggerated injuries. If you could PUP someone mid-camp it would be routinely abused.

it is speculation. The dude has missed tons of time... I don't think for a RB TC time is crucial vs other positions
I don't see how a RB needs radically less practice in the Patriots offense, where blocking and blitz pickups are so important. Even for a RB I would think the playbook is pretty complicated.

Brace played well last year. There have been no confirmed reports that he ever failed a conditioning test, and you don't take someone out of your plans becuase of an injury they will recover from.

Other than that, nice post.

The Boston Globe reported he failed his conditioning test in 2010.
Brace is not ready to go - The Boston Globe

We clearly won't be able to find a common ground on how well Brace played but I find it pretty noteworthy that he get benched for Deadrick in the middle of the season, and that he was inactive in San Diego, and played fewer than 10 snaps at Miami and verse Baltimore.

And whether you take a guy out of your plans for an injury completely depends on the severity of the injury and the time until recovery, and since we don't even know we he's being PUPed I'm not sure how you know he's going to come back just dandy.

But hell, if you want to make a stand on how kickass Ron Brace is, go for it.

EDIT: I would love for Brace to prove me wrong; it would be a huge lift for the team if he can turn into a reliable starting quality DL over the next two years and he's talented enough that he could do it.

Last edited:
Shane Vereen - RB - Patriots

The Boston Herald suggests second-round RB Shane Vereen could in up on injured reserve once the season starts.
Vereen has only participated in a few full practices all preseason thanks to a hamstring injury. With the Patriots loaded at running back, the Herald suggests that Vereen could even end up with a "redshirt" year if he doesn't get back on the field soon. Since Vereen did participate in a few practices, he's not eligible for the regular season PUP list.
Source: Boston Herald
Aug 18, 9:39 AM

Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
In-season Projections

1st, you need to link the article. The source article, preferably. You didn't pay for it, link to the source that did.

2nd, again, the source is the herald, why paraphrase somebody summarizing the article, when actual quotes are available?

3rd, when quoting, attempt to get the gist of the article. Don't give the wrong impression by taking quotes out of context.

This is the actual article, with a link, direct quote, in context.

Who’s making the cut for Patriots?

... The section without edits

BenJarvus Green-Ellis Danny Woodhead Stevan Ridley Shane Vereen Kevin Faulk

The Herald’s Take: Veteran Sammy Morris is the odd man out here thanks to the younger Ridley essentially providing the same skill set and type of game. The guess here, though, is that Morris ultimately will be kept because either Faulk or rookie Vereen will be put on the reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list to start the season. Faulk, attempting to return from last year’s knee surgery, has yet to participate in camp, while Vereen has taken part in only a few padded sessions before tweaking a hamstring. Vereen even might find himself getting a redshirt year if he’s not back soon.
Who’s making the cut for Patriots? - BostonHerald.com

The Herald is predicting Vereen makes the team, could that possibly be any different than what you implied in your thread title?

Last edited:
If as Karen in the Herald says Vereen has only taken part in a few sessions how can he be put on PUP? Does not compute!

If Dowling goes on the IR, i will be pissed!!!:mad:How on earth u draft a guy thats injury proned?:rolleyes:

If as Karen in the Herald says Vereen has only taken part in a few sessions how can he be put on PUP? Does not compute!

She mentioned Faulk as a PUP possibility. Only way at the bottom did she imply Vereen, who she picked to make the team, could be IR'd.

OP - Let's not use the wrong words to make overly dramatic thread titles in the future mmm-k?

She mentioned Faulk as a PUP possibility. Only way at the bottom did she imply Vereen, who she picked to make the team, could be IR'd.

No

"either Faulk or rookie Vereen will be placed on the reserve/PUP list to start the season"

Vereen cannot start the season on PUP unless we want to lose another #1 pick to Goodell

OP - Let's not use the wrong words to make overly dramatic thread titles in the future mmm-k?

And for the love of god can a mod or three not resist entering the fray that ensues as a result instead of just changing the freakin' thread title to reflect reality??? LOL

This thread is giving me that feeling again ...

big_headed_tiny_dog_chasing_tail_lg_nwm.gif

Last edited:
The Boston Globe reported he failed his conditioning test in 2010.
Brace is not ready to go - The Boston Globe

We clearly won't be able to find a common ground on how well Brace played but I find it pretty noteworthy that he get benched for Deadrick in the middle of the season, and that he was inactive in San Diego, and played fewer than 10 snaps at Miami and verse Baltimore.

And whether you take a guy out of your plans for an injury completely depends on the severity of the injury and the time until recovery, and since we don't even know we he's being PUPed I'm not sure how you know he's going to come back just dandy.

But hell, if you want to make a stand on how kickass Ron Brace is, go for it.

EDIT: I would love for Brace to prove me wrong; it would be a huge lift for the team if he can turn into a reliable starting quality DL over the next two years and he's talented enough that he could do it.

FWIW, I'm with you re: Brace. Going into this third year, he hasn't really shown anything. Doesn't mean he won't or can't improve this year, but missing all of TC doesn't exactly make me optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes