Edelman contract details per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Base: $1 million (guaranteed)
Roster bonus: $500,000 ($31,250 per game on 46-man roster)
Incentives: Up to $500,000
Cap: $2.75 million

Base: $2.25 million ($2 million guaranteed for injury only, converts to skill guarantee in ’15)
Roster bonus: $750,000 ($46,875 per game on 46-man roster)
Cap: $4.25 million

Base: $2.5 million
Offseason workout: $250,000
Cap: $4.75 million

Base: $3 million
Cap: $5.25 million

Closer look at Edelman's contract - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I disagree with Reiss's premise that Edelman's timing was bad to have a great year. If Amendola/Gronk/rooks were healthy, I doubt JE gets 100 catches. He got a great deal for a 7th round pick... and he'll play it out, barring injury. IMHO.

good info. Edelman is looking very smart for taking a one year prove it deal last year. And as the OP state, it was fortunate for him that Gronk and Amendola were hurt, 81 got booked for murder and the rookies weren't ready.

Base: $2.25 million ($2 million guaranteed for injury only, converts to skill guarantee in ’15)

I disagree with Reiss's premise that Edelman's timing was bad to have a great year. If Amendola/Gronk/rooks were healthy, I doubt JE gets 100 catches. He got a great deal for a 7th round pick... and he'll play it out, barring injury. IMHO.

People on here were actually saying he would get 8 mill a year. He got half of that.

Absolute bargain.

One of the best punt returners in the league and a very capable WR. At that kind of money his market should have been a lot bigger than what it was, but can't complain as it's the Patriots gain keeping him!

It is a very good contract for both sides in my opinion. Very reminiscent of the contract Welker signed back in 2007, and if Edelman can continue to give us similar production, we will be golden. It is interesting that this deal puts Edelman at age 32 making the similarities to Welker airily similar.

I am not saying this to start an Amendola debate but given his next three cap years after 2014 are –

2015 – $5,575,000
2016 – $6,575,000
2017 – $7,575,000

It is very likely that 2014 will be his final year with the Patriots baring some type of pay cut and restructure. Revis, Browner, Gronkowski, Edelman, Mayo, and LaFell all have cap numbers that increase in 2015 and beyond plus the impending free agency of McCourty, Solder, Vereen, Ridley, and others, from a cap perspective I cannot see them being able to carry his cap numbers.

I for one am sure that BB isn't banking on your "IF's" in 2014. Many would agree based off last year that Edelman is "already" a better WR that Amendola. Like I said before I love Edelman's upside as a WR going forward. With the fragiles on our Offense already he can more than better those numbers in 2014. Brady doesn't call him minitron for nothing Edelman can do everything. I am happy the Pats retained him it will be money well spent.

FYI my comment was about last year.

One of the best punt returners in the league and a very capable WR.
The former cannot be overstated, in my opinion.

When you stop and consider it, this guy is one amazing athlete. Edelman was a freaking QUARTERBACK in college. He totally reinvented himself to be a talented player at the ultimate level.

Very true all though I think it may be best for them to rotate Edelman and Amendola (who is also a very punt returner) as the returner next year to limit the wear and tear on Edelman.

You forgot to include the $5MM signing bonus he got, other wise the first year numbers don't make sense. We also don't know how much of that "signing bonus" he got up front. It seems these days often a player doesn't get the whole signing bonus the first year There also could be those pesky "out periods" where a team can cut ties with a player with so called "guaranteed money"in between the end of the superbowl and the beginning of the new league year, which is usually about 3 weeks or so. That's because there could be language where the Guaranteed money can't be paid unless the player is on the 90 man roster on the first day of the new league year.

Even when we have these "breakdowns" sometimes we really don't know all the ins and outs of a deal. Teams are getting better and better about making sure they have options if they are not getting what they paid for. Personally I think that's good. Now days, a team is rarely stuck with a "mistake" more than 2 years.

For example in the Talib contract isn't really a 5 year deal, but more a series of one year deals, where Talib has to be on the roster for the new year to collect his money. If I read it correctly, Talib got a lot of money up front ($12MM this year) but its amortized over the 5 years, and at worst, if Talib busts out completely, they'll only have to pay him another $4MM in 2015 and a couple of million for the next 3 years in dead money. Or more likely, plenty of time each year to leverage Talib into some cap saving adjustment if his play slips some, but not badly enough to just part ways

The $5M signing bonus is missing. Edelman got his $8M, although $2M is a 2015 guarantee agains injury.

People on here were actually saying he would get 8 mill a year. He got half of that.

When you look at the impact that the Seahawks had on the market it is very interesting. Consider that last season players like Avril, Smith, Talib, Grimes, Rodgers-Cromartie, Lewis, and Bennett received minimal money on the market, while player like Wallace, Amendola, Harvin, Cruz, Hartline, Bowe, Jennings, and others received huge paydays. This year it was the opposite, offensive players received minimal money and teams spent big on defensive players.

The $5M signing bonus is missing. Edelman got his $8M, although $2M is a 2015 guarantee agains injury.

No, he got 4.25 a year, not 8 mill a year. People were actually speculating he would get a long term deal at 8 mill per year

Of course that's true, but that's not what Reiss was saying. Had Edelman outed Hernandez as a murderer and took out all the other receivers with injuries in ...2012, the year Amendola was available...he would have found a stronger receiver market.

All to the good. He gets (probably) a better contract than he would have ever seen without his "last man standing" season. Fairly comparable to the one Amendola got in a stronger sellers market for receivers.

When you stop and consider it, this guy is one amazing athlete. Edelman was a freaking QUARTERBACK in college. He totally reinvented himself to be a talented player at the ultimate level.

Yup! I love me some Minitron!! Welcome back to New England, Edelman!

I think the deal is very fair. And he has a good shot at seeing all the money. It's not a 'funny money' backloaded deal which virtually guarantees that the player is either cut midway through or needs to restructure.

4/17 is a fantastic deal. In previous thoughts, I had said we should offer Edelman a 3 year deal with base of 4m with performance escalators. Here we got an extra year of Edelman, and we have him locked in around 4m AAV!! Very pleased with this deal!

Nice story here on Edelman. I think he can upgrade on that S-10 Chevy pickup now! :)
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ck-road-nfl/Qbv5QnIQh9BpRn9ZetrSRO/story.html

You forgot to include the $5MM signing bonus he got, other wise the first year numbers don't make sense. We also don't know how much of that "signing bonus" he got up front. It seems these days often a player doesn't get the whole signing bonus the first year There also could be those pesky "out periods" where a team can cut ties with a player with so called "guaranteed money"in between the end of the superbowl and the beginning of the new league year, which is usually about 3 weeks or so. That's because there could be language where the Guaranteed money can't be paid unless the player is on the 90 man roster on the first day of the new league year.

That actually has no bearing on the salary cap, or, in most cases, on a player's ability to receive the signing bonus. [Hernandez is a special case, since the Patriots are claiming he effectively forfeited the signing bonus; cutting a player for skill, injury, or cap relief would not end the team's obligation to make those deferred payments.]

Equally importantly, the only money that can be prorated is signing bonus; a guaranteed payment that is structured as you suggest in the last sentence cannot be spread out over time.

Is there any Dunkin' Donut effect?

He should have enough celebrity in NE by this time to secure extra income in sponsorships/commercials, whereas he may not get that in a new place.

I thought I remember Troy Brown made this calculation when he was a free agent.

Of course that's true, but that's not what Reiss was saying. Had Edelman outed Hernandez as a murderer and took out all the other receivers with injuries in ...2012, the year Amendola was available...he would have found a stronger receiver market.

All to the good. He gets (probably) a better contract than he would have ever seen without his "last man standing" season. Fairly comparable to the one Amendola got in a stronger sellers market for receivers.

Maybe. maybe not. Welker was a FA that year too and he didn't get anywhere near what he thought. If you have Amendola/Welker/Edelman all competing for that slot money...

Like you said, tho, it's all good. :D And Tunescribe makes a great point: he totally reinvented himself from a QB to a WR/KR. That is a true football player.

Is there any Dunkin' Donut effect?

He should have enough celebrity in NE by this time to secure extra income in sponsorships/commercials, whereas he may not get that in a new place.

I thought I remember Troy Brown made this calculation when he was a free agent.

Hopefully. If anyone deserves it, Edelman does. He really had to work hard and change positions just to make this team. And now he's one of our key guys. I could see 'Minitron' being a good marketing name for him too! LOL

Or maybe he will do some of those Woodhead type commercials, where they're like who is this guy?

Hopefully. If anyone deserves it, Edelman does. He really had to work hard and change positions just to make this team. And now he's one of our key guys. I could see 'Minitron' being a good marketing name for him too! LOL

Or maybe he will do some of those Woodhead type commercials, where they're like who is this guy?

I'm guessing no. :)

random-hotties-261.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk