PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Easley's burst off the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my senior year of college I was a 200lb NT. So needless to say a quick first step and explosive start was essential to any success I had. If I got off the ball just even with the OL, it could get ugly fast.

It has always been one of my pet peeves about the NFL (right behind bad tackling and no run threat on 3rd and short) that DLmen don't improve their quickness coming off the snap. Chandler Jones is horrible at it. He is constantly the last man off the ball. It drives me nuts to think how much more effective he'd be if he worked on this simple skill.

This is a simple skill set that can be improved on by every one. You don't have to be a spectacular athlete, just a diligent one. If Bill gave me 20 minute period during practice, he'd see the difference in a month.

BTW - an ancillary benefit of this training would be he wouldn't have to worry about his DL being drawn off sides, because they wouldn't move until the ball was snapped. A minor pet peeve, is that Rodgers and other QB's get praised for their "skill" in drawing people off side. That should NEVER happen to a well coached team. A welled coached DL is trained not to even listen to the QB, just watch the ball and move on movement. Do that and they will never be pulled off side. This additional attempt to throw even more adulatation on QB's is just a matter of bad coaching and DL execution. F*ck the QB's ;)

Am I missing something? I don't see what he's doing

Because I like Chandler, I'm going to assume that he's running a stunt behind Easley, and is lollygagging, so that he can take a straighter line through the hole that Easley is opening-up.

I can't wait for the playoffs.

We could possibly have a dominant front seven which we all know is a huge boost in the postseason. Hopefully our Oline is nice and healthy which means we can effectively use LeGarrette with the power run game.

If those things come to fruition then I don't see how Tommy doesn't leave a trail of scorched earth and broken dreams on his journey to a 5th SB ring.

Because I like Chandler, I'm going to assume that he's running a stunt behind Easley, and is lollygagging, so that he can take a straighter line through the hole that Easley is opening-up.
I think Chandler is more strategic in his moves and is more about the maneuvers he makes pushing the outside. Hell, I mean he's leading the league in sacks so it must be working for him.

I think Chandler is more strategic in his moves and is more about the maneuvers he makes pushing the outside. Hell, I mean he's leading the league in sacks so it must be working for him.

Could it be that his primary responsibility was to set the edge on that play?

Chandler certainly has limitations to his game. He may be average vs the run and have a limited assortment of pass rush moves but being slow isnt one of them.

After reading your post I looked at the picture again and it looks like he is watching Fitzgerald. Fitzy looks like he has his right foot planted and is starting to move to his left. Maybe Chandler is watching for a bootleg left or something.

Alright lol I think I was looking too hard before that

Me too, at first glance at the picture, I saw Jones still in his stance and the other two just taking their first step. My first thought was I don't see that burst you're talking about as I was thinking Easley was one of the two taking their first step. Then I switched my gaze to pick up where the ball was and holy **** there was Easley already engaged with the guard! Now I am thinking Chandler should just watch Easley, when Easley goes, Chandler should just go too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back