PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DT Anthony Johnson released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be pretty spot on summary from Rich Hill:

Hughes joins a beefy rotation with Malcom Brown, Alan Branch, and Vincent Valentine as the Patriots gear up to stop the rushing attacks of the Bills (twice), Browns, Bengals, and Steelers all before the bye week.

Anthony Johnson turned heads for his performance during the preseason, but he was unable to sustain that level of production during the regular season. The fact that Jabaal Sheard, Trey Flowers, and Chris Long can play the same sub-rusher role, and the eventual return of Rob Ninkovich meant that Johnson’s time was coming towards a close.

I also thought Johnson's energy was missed vs Miami. But the reality is Trey Flowers really stepped up.

I guess they wanted 4 big guys all along and after releasing Knighton and Kuhn - Hughes looked like the opportunity.

My first thought upon the news was Hicks as well. A smaller version though.
They did went one after another (87, 89) in 2012 draft. If only it turns out like last year!

EDIT: There is a reasonable chance Johnson comes back to PS. Id really like that.
Most prefer bigger bodies upfront.

Last edited:
They typically go with 4 fatties so this is not a surprise

The Pats current DT's appear to be either space eaters or nascar types who are shuffled inside as needed. Johnson is a space eater type who might simply be a better fit with this present roster makeup?

Spot on assessment.

Good work.

+ exact same measurables as Malcolm Brown

EDIT: long arms .. reaching for LeSean McCoy ..

Last edited:
Hughes might just be a shot at another turnaround project for BB. He sure won't be wanting for familiar faces here in NE

Time to first conspiracy post that BB is going to trade the entire Pats roster for the Browns' to 1) show his coaching prowess and 2) get back at the city for not getting behind him as Head Coach - about 48 minutes or so.

That sucks, thought he was great find.

How about you start with the guys that haven't contributed anything like Roberts/Harbor.

Thank god you never know WTF you are talking about. If you did they would have been the worst team in football since Belichick took over.

I think Flower's inside play makes Johnson expendable. I am more concerned that this might mean they will sign a QB .... thereby meaning they have health concerns with Jimmy and Brissett.

I like the kid and wish they didn't cut him but the bullsh.t knee jerk "WTF Belichick" garbage always makes me laugh. Like anyone outside the Patriots has a better idea of what they need to do? Give me a f.cking break.

Perhaps Belichick wants to keep Johnson on the practice squad and felt he had a better chance of passing wavers if he were cut this week instead on next.

Next week you have to cut somebody. This week you're gone because you can't make the team.

This just makes me wonder who will be cut when nink and Brady come back. Also are they eligible October 10th or later in the week?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Looks like no plans to save a PS spot for Johnson.

Doesnt mean they wont cut someone else to bring him on
Possibly, if they value Brown more than another PS player. But if they do, it is curious that they waited more than 3 weeks before signing Brown (released 9/3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft