PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DT Anthony Johnson released

Status
Not open for further replies.
They signed a WR to replace a WR. If Johnson clears waivers, then my guess is that they'd cut Woodrow Hamilton from the PS to make a spot for Johnson. Hughes and Johnson are very different players, but Hughes and Hamilton are pretty similar. Probably don't need both if Hughes is more than a one-week tryout.

From the Brown's message board:

Not sure what happened with (John) Hughes, but something was up.....he was #1 starter for a while.....then was missing from camp for "personal" reasons, that were never disclosed.....then immediately demoted to 2nd string.....then to inactive.....then cut....

There's a story here....somewhere.....

Looks like BB is not the only secretive one .

I like Johnson but he has not lived up to his preseason hype. He has been okay but not as good as we hoped. I hope he makes it on the PS cause i do love his upside and he is still getting use to how to move his new body effectively.

Glad we are getting another Defensive Lineman. More beef in the rotation.

Huh sounds like BB has a plan, who woulda thunk.

So what are the flaws in Johnson's play that led the Pats to gamble on cutting him to the PS and also to the gamble succeeding?

So what are the flaws in Johnson's play that led the Pats to gamble on cutting him to the PS and also to the gamble succeeding?
My best guess is this, Fencer. Johnson is now an under sized DT in the Aaron Donald mode. However I think that he has the physical skills necessary to fill that role, but hasn't made the full adjustment to the 50lb rather sudden drop in weight. He also probably hasn't fully developed the technical aspect and the hand techniques to maximize his physical skills of his new body. When he was 320 plus, he was playing a completely different game with completely different techniques.

Malcolm Brown is BB's vision of an ideal interior DLman, tall, 320, long arms, and athletic. BUT Bill understands that a quick "smaller" type has a place in his situational defensive schemes. I believe if the Pats can get him back to camp in 2017 he will not only make the team again, he will stick this time.

It's being reported that he cleared waivers and will back with the PS tomorrow. Good news for both the Pats and Johnson.

I'd guess run defense. jills will be looking to run the ball this weekend and run defense is Hughes bread and butter

I'd guess run defense. jills will be looking to run the ball this weekend and run defense is Hughes bread and butter

I doubt this is for one game. Rather, it would in some order be about
  • Hughes' availability.
  • A lack of commitment to keeping Johnson on the roster at this time.

And he's back!

And Hamilton stays (for now).
Hope Silberman cut means Cooper is ready..

From the Brown's message board:

Not sure what happened with (John) Hughes, but something was up.....he was #1 starter for a while.....then was missing from camp for "personal" reasons, that were never disclosed.....then immediately demoted to 2nd string.....then to inactive.....then cut....

There's a story here....somewhere.....

Looks like BB is not the only secretive one .

He was Manziel's designated driver.

Disappointed that Johnson has been relegated to the Practice Squad. Felt the Pats haven't used him enough in all honesty.

That being said, part of the reason could be the team's we've faced to this point.

Disappointed that Johnson has been relegated to the Practice Squad. Felt the Pats haven't used him enough in all honesty.

That being said, part of the reason could be the team's we've faced to this point.

I think he needs more work in the things he is doing at his current weight.....Keith traylor in reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes