PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dramatic change to WR Corps?

It’s almost not worth picking apart. The offense needs an overhaul soup to nuts. There’s nothing worth keeping, they need to start with a QB and a line that won’t get him crucified and build out.

This team never went on a real rebuild and now they’re likely the worst team in football with no positives for the future

I mean they kinda did. It's just they ignored offense mostly and whiffed on the few picks they took.

2020 was promising. 10 wins, made the playoffs. But it's only been backwards since then.

Just a fundamental misunderstanding of what is needed at the receiver position.

And just poor talent evaluation. Juju looks like a lemon and Meyers has continued to look like a reliable NFL receiver.

We easily could've had Hopkins/Meyers/Bourne..

Maybe Meyers or Hopkins is catching that sideline throw instead of Boutte or on 4th down instead of gesicki.

I was seemingly one of the few people who didn't like the Juju for Jakobi swap this offseason but I don’t think anyone assumed he would be this bad. Contract be damned, he needs to be cut. He is flat out bad and should not be on the field.
There is no advantage in him being cut. He simply needs to be inactive.

The wet paper bag offensive line is the biggest problem and weakness on this team….Bill did a horrible job not addressing this in offseason. Like you said… unless you have a guy like Hill where you can just chuck it out there and he runs under it….. wide receivers would struggle here as well because there is a millisecond to get the ball out before the defense is on top of the quarterback… You can’t blame Mac for everything bad with O …. and I think he’s kind of gotten a raw deal from fans and media since coming here
I get that you didn't line choices of offensive linemen. Obviously, he should have chosen OL's that would stay healthy. Saying that he did horrible job because he didn't address the OL is just plain silly. Belichick draft three OL's and signed two in free agency. He kept 4 starters from last year and replaced the rest.

And just poor talent evaluation. Juju looks like a lemon and Meyers has continued to look like a reliable NFL receiver.

We easily could've had Hopkins/Meyers/Bourne..

Maybe Meyers or Hopkins is catching that sideline throw instead of Boutte or on 4th down instead of gesicki.
Let's be clear.

It would have been easy for posters to be the GM and secure Hopkins. That is always the answer. FInd someone who we as posters could have signed for the same compensation that they received elsewhere.

I get that you didn't line choices of offensive linemen. Obviously, he should have chosen OL's that would stay healthy. Saying that he did horrible job because he didn't address the OL is just plain silly. Belichick draft three OL's and signed two in free agency. He kept 4 starters from last year and replaced the rest.
He did not address OL as high a priority as we should have. It’s silly to think that just signing “three OL” and picking up two FA solves all their problems…as quite obviously the talent level isn’t there. Next year whoever is GM needs to take a (or 2) top tier OL for starters …..no more drafting OL late second that should have gone in 4th or 5th round

We need exactly the opposite.

We need max protect and have more protection for Mac.

Bourne, Henry and Douglas can have lots of production if there is better protection.
Yes that would be the ideal situation, unfortunately the line and TE’s aren’t going to provide that so why not run an offense that gets the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible.

There is no advantage in him being cut. He simply needs to be inactive.
He’s a waste of a roster spot and a progress stopper. Either shut him down for the year or cut him. I really don’t care about the contract. Just add it to the pile of dead money from Bill’s other bad contracts like Jonnu, Jake Bailey, Brian Hoyer, etc.

You run those dwarves across the middle you’ll end up with a WR corpse.

You run those dwarves across the middle you’ll end up with a WR corpse.
It’s a lot safer now than it use to be, also if you spread it out enough those big hitters shouldn’t be there.

Let's be clear.

It would have been easy for posters to be the GM and secure Hopkins. That is always the answer. FInd someone who we as posters could have signed for the same compensation that they received elsewhere.

I mean he was in the building so it's a valid signing to bring up. we could've definitely paid him. The deal he got with Tennessee was reasonable. It's just bill wanted more incentives.

Same with Meyers. The deal was reasonable but juju had more incentives. So bill wins the deal...instead of getting the better player

I mean he was in the building so it's a valid signing to bring up. we could've definitely paid him. The deal he got with Tennessee was reasonable. It's just bill wanted more incentives.

Same with Meyers. The deal was reasonable but juju had more incentives. So bill wins the deal...instead of getting the better player
Oh, sure it is valid signing to bring up. That doesn't mean that it "easy" to get Hopkins to sign.

Mac is bad
WRs are bad (worst separation in the league if i remember right)
Oline is bad (worst rated in league, give up 50%+ pressure rate)
RBs are bad (worst running game in the league I believe?)

but its a domino effect.. Stevenson and Elliot didnt suddenly become bad RBs, the Oline is a huge component of that. Same with the passing game.

We get it, you don't like Mac Jones
Sounds like a GM and/or coaching problem really.

My god per Miguel Juju and Davante Parker's contracts are fully guaranteed next season. That is over a $17 million cap hit for two bad receivers that the next coach/GM will have to figure out what to do with.

Yet wouldn't pay Meyers...
Yess Man OCBOB signed off on the Parker extension that's what made me angry knowing it would impact his side of the ball. BB really loves his YesMen I lost all respect for BOB after D-Hop Left the building smh. :rolleyes:

My god per Miguel Juju and Davante Parker's contracts are fully guaranteed next season. That is over a $17 million cap hit for two bad receivers that the next coach/GM will have to figure out what to do with.
IF BB signed Juju knowing about his bad knee he has completely lost it. But there were signs the man thought Fat Matt could be OC and OL Coach - Judge could be QB Coach and the list goes on. Somebody should be forcefully removed from GM duties. :mad:

IF BB signed Juju knowing about his bad knee he has completely lost it. But there were signs the man thought Fat Matt could be OC and OL Coach - Judge could be QB Coach and the list goes on. Somebody should be forcefully removed from GM duties. :mad:

I wonder if it was more about Meyers being one of the malcontents last year than the talent difference.

Let's not forget bill also wanted to replace Bourne if we signed Hopkins instead of parker.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back