PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

I am just having Tyquan Thornton PTSD when I think about Daniels.
He has a high ceiling but am concerned about his build and the pounding he will take in the NFL.
Not only does Maye have an NFL body but he does not take off and run as much as Daniels.
Love Maye’s arm especially on intermediate mof routes

Last edited:
Anyone that's really watched him sees he gives up open mof shots for a deep ball, will take off or scramble. Tons of instances. Most of the time the result is positive but yea the NFL is a different animal. And when you do see him pass to the mof it's not tight windows or layering balls. It's mostly two top 15-20 NFL WR prospects in Nabers and Thomas separating.

A lot of this in Daniels tape. He took off for positive gain but there's plenty of this on his tape if we're being honest.
View attachment 56561

He's late on some passes that require precise timing. Back shoulders, comebacks, some in cutting stuff. You can't get away with that in the mof.

I like Daniels, a lot. I'm just not if AVP is a "Daniels" guy. In terms of style. And we have absolutely no one to really complement his greatest strengths. He had clean clean pockets at LSU with a WR corp better than ours. He won't have any of that here early on. This isn't a 1 year rebuild. Not sure if people are understanding this or not but this isn't a playoff team next year.
I’m pretty indifferent on Daniels. One of the things he was really improved on this year was pulling the trigger on those deep shots when they were there. Would you say he still missed a lot of those this season?

He has a high ceiling but am concerned about his build and the pounding he will take in the NFL.
Not only does Maye have an NFL body but he does not take off and run as much as Daniels.
McCarthy and Maye are my two top QBs.
I am torn on Williams.

I’d be happy with Maye or Daniels. Both could wind up as franchise QBs. Take whoever is there are 3.

Daniels is pretty strong for his slim size. He’ll stay in the pocket to take a hit and make the throw. But also brings the other element to the QB position. I’m not comparing him to Mahomes, but one of the most frustrating things about watching Mahomes if you're rooting against him, is he always seems to be able to get away when you think you have him. And he’ll either kill you with his legs or a throw on the run after you DON’T get him. Daniels has that. He will burn you with his legs, or his throw on the run.

Maye can also extend plays with his legs. He’s not gonna gain 1,000 yards in a season like Daniels did, but he’s very athletic, and can manipulate in the pocket and then take off for positive yardage, or even make a td run.

One thing you can’t measure, is their hearts and if they have the clutch gene the greats like Mahomes has and like Brady had. That can only be found out with time. Hopefully they both have it and we land one of them.

I’d be happy with Maye or Daniels. Both could wind up as franchise QBs. Take whoever is there are 3.

Daniels is pretty strong for his slim size. He’ll stay in the pocket to take a hit and make the throw. But also brings the other element to the QB position. I’m not comparing him to Mahomes, but one of the most frustrating things about watching Mahomes if you're rooting against him, is he always seems to be able to get away when you think you have him. And he’ll either kill you with his legs or a throw on the run after you DON’T get him. Daniels has that. He will burn you with his legs, or his throw on the run.

Maye can also extend plays with his legs. He’s not gonna gain 1,000 yards in a season like Daniels did, but he’s very athletic, and can manipulate in the pocket and then take off for positive yardage, or even make a td run.

One thing you can’t measure, is their hearts and if they have the clutch gene the greats like Mahomes has and like Brady had. That can only be found out with time. Hopefully they both have it and we land one of them.
Great post. If either daniels or Maye have it , then its a no Brainer pick one of them . Sit them this year while offensive line develops and start them mid season. If they are the real deal I would be happy if we can tank for 2024 and get the 2025 first pick so that we trade it fir future assets and immediately build the team to contender status in 2025.

At this point i’m fine with all 3. Went back and watched some of Williams games this morning from the prior season and he was stunningly good.

Maye is still my guy for sure. That arm and legs are what it’s all about. Easy to get excited about what he could be at the next level. Seems like a 100% quality guy on and off the field too.

As much as Daniels scares me, he intriques the hell out of me. He was just electric to watch and you can’t help but look at those deep passes all over the field and running ability.

As far as McCarthy? Man, I don’t know. Great arm strength, good film of what little there is. Definitely a wild card because of the way Harbaugh ran that offense. We’d know a lot more about him if he played for another team in college. Wish he would of went to the senior bowl.

BOTTOM LINE
1) We're not trading up. It would be too costly to trade for 1, and WASH wants their choice of QB.

2) There will be lots of due diligence communication with other teams before the draft, and a few once the draft has begun.

3) If only one of the QB that we have rated as worth a top 5 pick is available, we will likely not trade down.

4) If there are 2 QB's that we want, we might trade down to 4, 5, or even 6.

5) I could four QB's being considered for picks in the top five picks.

As far as McCarthy? Man, I don’t know. Great arm strength, good film of what little there is. Definitely a wild card because of the way Harbaugh ran that offense. We’d know a lot more about him if he played for another team in college. Wish he would of went to the senior bowl.

McCarthy can make all the throws, good height, runs really well, great pocket presence, plays within the system, avoids the rush, scrambles well, throws well on the run, very smart, huge heart, and a champion. What shortcoming do you see?

Only thing I see is that Michigan ran the ball a lot, but that is not a knock on McCarthy. So the tape is limited with him being a junior. Also he is young and slight but that will change over the next three years as he grows and fills out.

Last edited:
What shortcoming do you see?
He looks really good on a highlights package but this game shows all his throws and runs.

It's only 1 game so he can't be solely judged, good or bad, on that game but it does show the good and the bad.

Of course the top 3 also have plenty they need to work on as well. I like JJ but he's behind the top 3 atm imo.

He looks really good on a highlights package but this game shows all his throws and runs.

It's only 1 game so he can't be solely judged, good or bad, on that game but it does show the good and the bad.

Of course the top 3 also have plenty they need to work on as well. I like JJ but he's behind the top 3 atm imo.

Thanks. There were some amazing throws and scrambles in that game. The under hand flick for 10 yards looked like Mahomes. Did not remind me of Mac Jones at all ;).

At times he looks rushed playing too fast. Indiana blitzed and he did not pick it up well a few times. Like I said, he looks young and needs to fill out. As he matures the game will slow down for him and he will have greater presence about him. But I see the complete skill set whereas there are holes in the other QB's film although Maye looks good to me too.

Yes I saw that already. Amazing. Maye looks more substantial and composed than McCarthy but I think McCarthy will test much better at the combine. Will McCarthy fill out and become more composed? Tough questions I am not qualified to answer.

McCarthy can make all the throws, good height, runs really well, great pocket presence, plays within the system, avoids the rush, scrambles well, throws well on the run, very smart, huge heart, and a champion. What shortcoming do you see?

Only thing I see is that Michigan ran the ball a lot, but that is not a knock on McCarthy. So the tape is limited with him being a junior. Also he is young and slight but that will change over the next three years as he grows and fills out.
Brady 2.0? :)

Williams probably won't fight being taken by the Bears given they are a big market, but I'd like to see a top pick pull an Elway or Manning to shake up the draft. Too many top draft picks don't do their homework on these organizations and are completely unware how dysfunctional or incapable their coaching staff's are. They end up paying for it in the end.

I don't know if this will happen at the very top of the draft. But now that college players can get paid by boosters and get endorsements, you are probably going to see prospects staying in school an extra year rather than go into the draft because they don't like where they are getting drafted.

As for Williams, I don't think he will get a better situation than the Bears. They are far better than a typical #1 pick. If he is as good as advertised, the Bears have enough pieces and draft capital to be a contender in a year or two. He's not going to the worst team in the league and risking being totally ruined by a really bad team.

Brady 2.0? :)
It is heresy to think that, but there are definitely some similarities beyond being at Michigan.

So, has the big 3 QB prospects evolved into the big 4 now?

I have seen a few posters point out that McCarthy is a game manager.

Isn’t that the same criticism we heard about Brady early in his career?

Joel Klatt thinks both Williams and Maye are elite prospects and said out of the last 6-7 drafts he’d have them ranked in his top 4 along with Burrow and Lawrence.

I’m getting a bit wary of Daniel’s. Takes a lot of sacks and big hits. I’m not confident he’ll last in the NFL and I hope we don’t reach for him at 3. Williams will go 1, I hope Maye is there for us. If he isn’t take MHJr.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back