PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft do over round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
We've traded down (or packaged other picks/players) into round two for extra picks a few years. There have been a good number of injuries/busts as has been noted.

My contention has been that BB sees a low 1st rounder as less than a guarantee and not likely, with 1 pick, to yield a great, rather than good player. Multiple pick years were 2009,2010,2011,2013. Multiple picks allowed him to risk on injured players, athletes with less production, unbalanced (great potential, great weakness) etc. as well as some guys who were 2nd round picks (Spikes).

If somebody wants to tabulate all the trades involved, that would be great but, knowing we pick low every year, I'll start with the highlights of the shotgun approach and we know the ;low lights. (Brace etc. etc.).

In my do over, Gronkowski, a very risky pick we might not have made with a low 1st instead of 3 2nds, is easily a top 5 overall any year.

Jamie Collins, might be a little early, but I'd put him top 15 in my ignorant guesstimate (as i don't analyze college players/drafts. You put him where you want.

Vollmer would be a first IMO. Maybe better than Solder and i'm confident he could start at LT in this league if necessary.

Pat Chung is a solid starter IMO. Maybe the same spot in round 2, but not a bust.

If anyone wants to do the math, I'd be curious to see what we gave up to get a top 5 top 15 and probably mid 1st (IMO, that's Gronk, collins and Vollmer) plus a couple = their spot Spikes, Chung and busts/injuries. Might have missed some that don't fit in the last category, so fill in if you think so.

We weren't likely getting three mid to high picks at the bottom of the 1st is my point here.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, there are no draft do-overs. Even doing it just for fun, it would be hard to predict what would happen. It's like the going back in time scenario, change one thing in the past and the whole future after that could change to something different.

Unfortunately, there are no draft do-overs. Even doing it just for fun, it would be hard to predict what would happen. It's like the going back in time scenario, change one thing in the past and the whole future after that could change to something different.

Of course there are no draft do overs. Do you know, however, that writers for lots of sports publications do it every year? They do.

All you have to do is take the players that were drafted in every spot and re evaluate based on their performance and prospects since then. It's really not that hard. for instance, anyone could take the 2010 draft and realize there weren't 41 players in that draft you would take ahead of Gronkowski.

All you need to do then, is figure how many of them you would take ahead of him now, if any, knowing what you know now.

It's called a hypothetical situation. Thanks for your contribution.

Your welcome for my hypothetical contribution.

Vollmer graded out as a fifth rounder in most draftnik guides, but the pats saw a guy that perfectly fit our zone blocking scheme and drafted him in the second round. Most draftniks thought we over drafted him, but others said the Giants were going to take him with their next pick and that forced our hand,

Vollmer graded out as a fifth rounder in most draftnik guides, but the pats saw a guy that perfectly fit our zone blocking scheme and drafted him in the second round. Most draftniks thought we over drafted him, but others said the Giants were going to take him with their next pick and that forced our hand,

I remember there were rumours that the Chargers were going to take Tavon Wilson the pick after ours too (they ended up with Kendall Reyes instead so that worked out for them :) )

Foreign guy with little experience. it was a risk you might not take without multipl picks in the round. I'd grade him mid 1st probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News