PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dr. Z chimes in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with giving PM a mulligan on that game, after all everyone but everyone has one some time in their career. What I find strange is the motive from some in the press and media to not just give him a pass, but to glorify his efforts. It must have something to do with the unfathomable reverence the media (and NFL) pays to the Mannings. They are treated like royalty and most if not all of their shortcomings are glossed over (coming from Scotland I had too many years of popular adulation of the monarchy to want to relive the experience over here).

Still if they want to honor Peyton for his (cough) performance, I suggest that we institute a special award for such play called the Archie Manning Heroism in Futility Award. It also looks like Peyton may have some competition for the inaugural prize, as he is currently third to

1 Eagles Offensive Line - week 4 v Giants

Amazing effort to return to the field despite allowing 12 sacks on McNab in their game against the Giants. This was a four quarter performance that is unlikely to be beaten this season.

2 Steve McNair - week 9 v Steelers

This was a solo effort and on a normal year would easily win the award. In four quarters he nobly failed to get more than 12 yds on a pass ( he got over 10 yards twice). A valorous attempt to make Bledsoe look like Vick with Montezuma's revenge, Steve fell short of McNabs sack total by 6. McNair had the air of Hamlet for most of the night, prone to overthink and slow to act.

3 Peyton Manning - week 10 v Chargers

Manfully faced up to 1st time starter Cromartie in the first quarter. Almost lost the heroic garland with a series of unworldly completions to Regie Wayne in the second and third, but regained it with his glowering expression on the false start and missed figgie, then finished strongly with a Dunkirk flourish as he failed to drive any distance for the points that would win the game.

Honorable mention - Philip Rivers - week 10 v Colts

Really not a heroic game, but noteworthy for his bravado and derring-do in swiping the ball away from his own lineman after fumbling the snap into his end-zone. Reminiscent of the Charge of the Light Brigade in speed and futility it helped to make the game close for PM's heroic effort.

:bricks:

I have no problem with giving PM a mulligan on that game, after all everyone but everyone has one some time in their career. What I find strange is the motive from some in the press and media to not just give him a pass, but to glorify his efforts. It must have something to do with the unfathomable reverence the media (and NFL) pays to the Mannings. They are treated like royalty and most if not all of their shortcomings are glossed over (coming from Scotland I had too many years of popular adulation of the monarchy to want to relive the experience over here).

Still if they want to honor Peyton for his (cough) performance, I suggest that we institute a special award for such play called the Archie Manning Heroism in Futility Award. It also looks like Peyton may have some competition for the inaugural prize, as he is currently third to

1 Eagles Offensive Line - week 4 v Giants

Amazing effort to return to the field despite allowing 12 sacks on McNab in their game against the Giants. This was a four quarter performance that is unlikely to be beaten this season.

2 Steve McNair - week 9 v Steelers

This was a solo effort and on a normal year would easily win the award. In four quarters he nobly failed to get more than 12 yds on a pass ( he got over 10 yards twice). A valorous attempt to make Bledsoe look like Vick with Montezuma's revenge, Steve fell short of McNabs sack total by 6. McNair had the air of Hamlet for most of the night, prone to overthink and slow to act.

3 Peyton Manning - week 10 v Chargers

Manfully faced up to 1st time starter Cromartie in the first quarter. Almost lost the heroic garland with a series of unworldly completions to Regie Wayne in the second and third, but regained it with his glowering expression on the false start and missed figgie, then finished strongly with a Dunkirk flourish as he failed to drive any distance for the points that would win the game.

Honorable mention - Philip Rivers - week 10 v Colts

Really not a heroic game, but noteworthy for his bravado and derring-do in swiping the ball away from his own lineman after fumbling the snap into his end-zone. Reminiscent of the Charge of the Light Brigade in speed and futility it helped to make the game close for PM's heroic effort.

:bricks:

Free pass is good, but I don't understand all the hubbub about the hubbub, you all are creating more hubbub by talking about it. It was an incredibly unusual game, one that was in the grasp. 30 out of 32 kickers convert that chip shot.

Not sure what you wanted PM do do from his own 20, with 22 seconds left, and no time outs:confused:

Rivers might have actually saved the game for the Chargers:

1.) TD gave us 6, missed the 2 pt conversion to tie. We drive inside the 10, but are not motivated to score a TD, as we only need a FG to take the lead. Still PLENTY OF TIME and TO's left to generate a TD there.

2.) What if we had just gotten the safety? Now they are down 6. Punt from the 20. a FULL QUARTER to PLAY. Remember, after the TD, we kick off, Chargers move a bit, but PUNT to our 1. We flip the field, and punt to pin SD back, then Rivers throws the INT to give us the short field and set up the late FG try. So, assume again safety, they punt, and we have a "short field". We were successful moving the ball, and would have been motivated to score six, rather than settle for positioning for 3. Who knows how it would have played out, but in hindsight, the safety might have actually lead to a victory for the Colts.

I'm sorry I was only trying to make light of the hubbub;)

I just love this. Every writer in the country is fantastic when it's pro-Pats. Every writer in the country sucks when it isn't. You guys just kill me. But, of course, you would have to understand the jist of what he was writing about and that just isn't possible here.

I think the column idea is right on.

The problem with the column, however, is that it ignores the actual facts of the game played on Sunday night. Exactly what did Peyton Manning do that turned the game around in the 2nd half? Before the meaningless interception at the end of the game, he had provided 1 TD and 1 interception and got his team into position for a chip shot field goal.

That's not really a lot of production. That's not John Elway putting 400+ yards up and 30+ points on the board in a hopeless cause. That's not a stellar performance. In fact, Peyton Manning's passer rating in the 2nd half is well below the average passer rating of an NFL QB!

So, spare me the soliloquy, Dr. Z. Even if Adam V makes the 29 yarder, this was not a comeback for the ages due to great QB play. This was an inept Charger offense coupled with a really good Colts defense along with average at best Colts offense.

Peyton Manning played a great in the AFCCG in January. Give him props for that. On Sunday night, he was less than special; he was bad. And if San Diego had any type of decent offense, they would have won this game by double digits easily.

his KICKER actually MADE some FG's :eek:

Can't blame your kicker.

What hurts more, flubbed kicks or 6 interceptions?

If this is about blame, and it is, you can't blame it on Vinatieri while absolving Manning. Doesn't work that way.

All I know is that Brady and Gostkowski win that game.

just wow !! he led them to 2 tds in 4 q wow ! and no mention of TB who has done it many times in bad weather . he forgets that any half decent team would have turned those 6 int into a ton of points.

so on the one hand we have peyton throwing 6 ints and becoming a hero...and on the other they are trying to find a formula to not give TB the MVP !!

run up the score please !

just wow !! he led them to 2 tds in 4 q wow ! and no mention of TB who has done it many times in bad weather . he forgets that any half decent team would have turned those 6 int into a ton of points.

so on the one hand we have peyton throwing 6 ints and becoming a hero...and on the other they are trying to find a formula to not give TB the MVP !!

run up the score please !

I agree. I think if the Patriots played SD, they win 38 to 14, with Brady throwing 3 TDs. I also think Brady would beat Manning head to head, even if the game was in Indy, and the refs call the most penalty yardage against the Patriots in their history. Heck, I'll go so far as to say, Polian could pump fake noise into the stadium, turn up the heat, turn off the coach to QB communication, and instruct his DLinemen to shout out fake snap calls, and Brady would STILL beat Manning. I know I'll get blasted for predicting such nonsense, but that's how I feel. All that, and THEN I'll even say the Patriots could play the best NFC team Dallas, AT Dallas, and win by 3 TDs. What am I smoking? Nothing. I just feel this way.

Well, it certainly shook things up a bit. pretty good for mid week nothingness. And it gave you folks an opportunity to mend your ways, but, you failed.

Ban Me, you're usually pretty level-headed (in other places, granted..).
Dude threw 6 interceptions. 6. The complete ineptitude of the San Diego offense in general, and Phillip Rivers in particular, was the reason that game was as close as it was.

If any arguement can be made, the Colts defense saved the bacon Sunday night. If Manning had simply been below average, say 2 or 3 picks, the Colts win that game going away.

There's little heroic in throwing 6 interceptions. The Colts nearly won Sunday night IN SPITE of Manning, not because of him.

Every QB has a bad game. Even Manning.

Well, Rivers and Wrecks can't seem to handle it.

They also struggle in domes.
Weather is pretty low on the collective lists for improvement for either one of these 2 QBs.

Oh my freakin' god... I can't believe it!!

I watched the game on Sunday. If it wasn't for San Diego's complete ineptitude on offense, it would have been a blowout.

It was definitely one of Manning's worst performances ever (and I'm not only talking about the interceptions). Manning's whole game plan was horrible from the start. Instead of adapting to the new personnel in the first half, he stubbornly tried to play the same Colt offense with inferior talent and it resulted in 4 INTs. In the second half, he changed things up and started taking what the defense gave him, but at that point in the game, San Diego's defense had been on the field forever because their offense couldn't string together first downs.

Manning's performance was the result of incompetence by the opponent more than grit or greatness by a QB.

This is the worst piece of sh! t column I've read in a while.

At least we know that Peyton went home clean after the game thanks to Dr. Z's ball washing.
Yup, that's for certain.

I still don't get what the heck Dr. Z is talking about...."pulling one out". THEY LOST.

Last edited:
Why in the world would anyone try and defend a qb that threw a record 6 interceptions. Kind of like defending a coach going for it on 4th down with minimal time on the clock and he has a chip shot field goal to win the game. But hey, nothing like a time out to enhance the situation when its your last one. You want emotion, how about a qb throwing a long ball with a defensive lineman holding your face mask. How about a qb beating Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh in a playoff game with a 101 degree temperature. How about a qb going the year with reserve receivers, and winning the Super Bowl. How about a qb winning a Superbowl with a lineman who was recently cut from Tampa Bay's practice squad. The difference is, one qb wins while the other one loses and has time to make more commercials. But hey, I'm not saying anything that everyone on this site already knows.

Preachin' to the choir, preachin' to the choir!

Can I get an amen? :rocker:

I think the column idea is right on.

The problem with the column, however, is that it ignores the actual facts of the game played on Sunday night. Exactly what did Peyton Manning do that turned the game around in the 2nd half? Before the meaningless interception at the end of the game, he had provided 1 TD and 1 interception and got his team into position for a chip shot field goal.

That's not really a lot of production. That's not John Elway putting 400+ yards up and 30+ points on the board in a hopeless cause. That's not a stellar performance. In fact, Peyton Manning's passer rating in the 2nd half is well below the average passer rating of an NFL QB!

So, spare me the soliloquy, Dr. Z. Even if Adam V makes the 29 yarder, this was not a comeback for the ages due to great QB play. This was an inept Charger offense coupled with a really good Colts defense along with average at best Colts offense.

Peyton Manning played a great in the AFCCG in January. Give him props for that. On Sunday night, he was less than special; he was bad. And if San Diego had any type of decent offense, they would have won this game by double digits easily.

Don't try to reason with ColtinIraq. He is just another punk. Comes here to tell us that we don't get it. And tries to back up one of the most ******ed articles ever written.

Yeah, give me 6 ints every week, Mannchoke. Usually you reserve that crap for the big games.

Why in the world would anyone try and defend a qb that threw a record 6 interceptions. Kind of like defending a coach going for it on 4th down with minimal time on the clock and he has a chip shot field goal to win the game. But hey, nothing like a time out to enhance the situation when its your last one. You want emotion, how about a qb throwing a long ball with a defensive lineman holding your face mask. How about a qb beating Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh in a playoff game with a 101 degree temperature. How about a qb going the year with reserve receivers, and winning the Super Bowl. How about a qb winning a Superbowl with a lineman who was recently cut from Tampa Bay's practice squad. The difference is, one qb wins while the other one loses and has time to make more commercials. But hey, I'm not saying anything that everyone on this site already knows.

Dude, if there's an email address for Dr. Z, you need to send him this.

A few things........

First, when there's so many responses, do you guys read them all? I try, but at a certain point it just seems insane.

2, props to He Ban Me for some good muckraking--the board melting down, indeed.

3. As another poster noted, the bit about Norv Turner running it up.......is that a slam against Norv Turner not being capable of a blowout? A joke about how the running it up thing is stupid because the Colts should have won at the end? A serious comment that Norv is nice to not run it up? Seriously, I'm confused.

4. Along those lines, I honestly don't get what the hell this column is supposed to be about. How was this a noble loss? MANY teams have had FAR more injuries than the Colts did, and the loss was just a sloppy mess. It wasn't gritty, or noble, or anything. They just lost. It happens. Is Zimmerman (I don't think he's actually an MD) insane?

Dude, if there's an email address for Dr. Z, you need to send him this.
Done. It said come back soon to see if your question is among those selected. What do you think, lol. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Well, it certainly shook things up a bit. pretty good for mid week nothingness. And it gave you folks an opportunity to mend your ways, but, you failed.
Once an idiot, always the idiot. By the way, the idiot is YOU!

2, props to He Ban Me for some good muckraking--the board melting down, indeed.
The board is melting? More like the board is laughing at Dr Z, who incidentally predicted the Dolphins to win the Super Bowl last year. Dr Z is the doctor of sleep, not football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3