PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dr. Z chimes in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just love this. Every writer in the country is fantastic when it's pro-Pats. Every writer in the country sucks when it isn't. You guys just kill me. But, of course, you would have to understand the jist of what he was writing about and that just isn't possible here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/11/13/colts/1.html

"A quarterback who stands tall in the pocket, facing a minimal rush, throwing to an all star cast of receivers is a pretty picture, but there's nothing about it that reaches me on an emotional level. But the guy who somehow manages to pull one out when the weather is bad and his offense is banged up and the other team is smelling blood -- well, that's what it's all about, I feel."

EDIT:

Board blows up in 3...2...1....

If you call six picks pulling one out.

It's funny...he's basically saying "I've liked Brady over Manning every year until this year." But if you told him that, he'd still say he liked Manning better the other years too.

Is it April 1st?

bad weather?? honey, bad weather is 4 degrees above zero, snow or pouring rain there was 0.08" of precipitation in SD Sunday that's 3 seagulls doing their business over the field

I just love this. Every writer in the country is fantastic when it's pro-Pats. Every writer in the country sucks when it isn't. You guys just kill me. But, of course, you would have to understand the jist of what he was writing about and that just isn't possible here.

That could be true in many cases, and in fact true for all teams' fans. However, Dr. Z has always been horrible. That is true whether he writes pro or anti Pats. This goes back years.

Now, let's be honest about this. It was 23 to 7 at halftime. This great, heroic 2nd half comeback shook out like this. Manning led the offense to a grand total of 1 TD. The defense scored the other one. Said QB finished the game with 6 interceptions.

I mean, I will continue to give you a free pass, because of the huge respect I have for you and the others in Iraq and Afghanistan, but come on. I think we all understand what he's saying, but to use Manning's worse INT game of his career as the example...........PLEASE!

I really couldn't care less about the "Brady vs. Manning" debate, I'm just glad to have a great QB. But that article is just plain bizarre. Saying the worst game of Manning's career, a loss in which he threw 6 INTs, is simply "a different type of greatness"??? So now failure is just "a different type of success"? :confused:

I don't think Zimmerman was criticizing Brady. He was stating his opinion, which most Pats fans feel about Brady with his performance in the past using less than all-star receiving corps, that it is inspiring to see a quarterback do more with less as an average QB can look good surrounded by an all-pro receiving corps (think Culpepper with the 15-1 Vikings in 1998). As the article is about Manning, and Dr. Z has repeatedly spoken in favor of Brady, I don't read it as a shot at Brady in complimenting Manning for throwing for 300 yards (and yes, 6 picks) with a substantial portion of the receiving corps out of the game.

I would never say Manning is not in the top two quarterbacks in the NFL (and yes, I thoroughly enjoyed watching him throw all the interceptions and see number 4 shank the final kick), and he does have good control of the field. I wouldn't take him in trade for Brady even if the Colts threw in the receiving corps as a bonus, but his excellence makes the beatings thrown at him by the Pats that much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
bad weather?? honey, bad weather is 4 degrees above zero, snow or pouring rain there was 0.08" of precipitation in SD Sunday that's 3 seagulls doing their business over the field
Well, Rivers and Wrecks can't seem to handle it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/11/13/colts/1.html

"A quarterback who stands tall in the pocket, facing a minimal rush, throwing to an all star cast of receivers is a pretty picture, but there's nothing about it that reaches me on an emotional level. But the guy who somehow manages to pull one out when the weather is bad and his offense is banged up and the other team is smelling blood -- well, that's what it's all about, I feel."

EDIT:

Board blows up in 3...2...1....

Do you actually agree with Dr. Z. I think there are some inaccuracies that article. Particularly his comment that "Norv Turner doesn't run up the score", implying that he could've put it out of reach but decided not to. Anyone who watched the game knows that wasn't the case.

This is a microcosm of why Patriots fans hate Manning and all of his apologists. There is no way any other QB in history, well maybe Marino, would not only be given a free pass but would be praised for throwing 6 ints.

Replace Manning with Grossman and what do you think the headlines are?

Bears come up short in spite of great defensive effort

Rex needs to be benched

Grossman at it again with 6 ints

I don't think Dr. Z is anti-Pats at all. I've always thought he's been pretty honest, and he does not have any sacred cows, he will criticize anybody (I like King, but we all know he loves his superstar QBs like Favre, Brady, and Manning).

And I know he's been critical of Peyton in the past, and he's been complimentary of Brady, so I would take this article for what it is-giving credit to Peyton for how he hung tough in the game. As weird as I think all this attention is for Peyton in a game his team lost and where he threw 6 picks, I wouldn't look into this story as an indictment of Brady. He knows Brady's career and what he's had to work with in the past.

You kind of miss the point here. This board (and people in general I believe) don't mind when people receive credit or reward for something they accomplish due to hard work and sacrifice. I give Manning a TON of credit for his performance in the AFCC game last year. Did what he needed to do (not necessarily how he wanted to do it) and won the day.

But when people get praise just for existing, it really ticks people off. As hard as it may be, ignore the interceptions for a minute. Manning led the Colts to 2 scoring drives.

Two. Dos. Deux. That's all.

So feel free to give him credit for not crapping his pants on the field during the game...but turn the game into a Manning romance novel and you are going to hear about it.

Couple of other things to consider when stroking Manning's.....um, ego:

1) The Colts D was shorthanded as well and played their butts off. You would think they were just splashing in puddles the whole game until Manning came to save them. Is it any wonder Colts' defenders skip town as soon as they are able?

2) The Colts' receivers played a great game, but you would have thought they all arrived at the game on the short school bus. They were somehow personally responsible for all of Manning's interceptions. If I'm Crap and Moorehead, I'm not feeling the love after really doing a solid bit of work under tough circumstances.

If that were Chad Pennington or Rex Grossman in that exact same situation, they would be run out of town. That is why this kind of simple-minded journalistic fellatio drives us crazy.

I don't think Dr. Z is anti-Pats at all. I've always thought he's been pretty honest, and he does not have any sacred cows, he will criticize anybody (I like King, but we all know he loves his superstar QBs like Favre, Brady, and Manning).

And I know he's been critical of Peyton in the past, and he's been complimentary of Brady, so I would take this article for what it is-giving credit to Peyton for how he hung tough in the game. As weird as I think all this attention is for Peyton in a game his team lost and where he threw 6 picks, I wouldn't look into this story as an indictment of Brady. He knows Brady's career and what he's had to work with in the past.

Tony Romo actually led his team to victory under the same circumstances. I'm not sure how rarefied this class of "throw lots of INTs and still win" really is.

Tony Romo actually led his team to victory under the same circumstances. I'm not sure how rarefied this class of "throw lots of INTs and still win" really is.
his KICKER actually MADE some FG's :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes