PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donte' Stallworth may get cut today. Would you take him back?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you re-sign Stallworth?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Donte Stallworth may get cut today. Would you take him back?

That's not my point. The "madness" is that every single player who is cut or is a free agent is immediately a target. Look, I want the Patriots to get better, I do. But I think it's a bit crazy that everytime someone gets cut, whether it be a Donte Stallworth or a Banta Cain, there is immediately a "lets sign him thread"...It isn't so much the prospect of having Stallworth back but rather how many times people jump the gun. We got our guy in Greg Lewis, why do we need a guy who underachieved in 2007, did nothing in 2008, and then bring him back here to compete in the SAME offense with the SAME players he did NOTHING with in 2007? Especially since we have Greg Lewis...Just don't see the infatuation here. But I criticized a post so I guess that makes me a bad guy...

No, it makes you a bad poster. The total BS of what you're saying is that there are many, many players cut that are never discussed on this board. If you don't like Satallworth, fine. But quit exaggerating and trying to blow up a valid thread because it might remind you of a thread you don't like.

So I take it the Browns are in a throw-away rebuilding season this year? So far Mangini & co. have traded TE Kellen Winslow, cut WRs Donte Stallworth and Joe Jurevicius, and RB Jamal Lewis is probably next, since he appears to be slowing down. The Browns entered the off-season with only four draft picks but they did add a 2nd rounder and another (5th?) with the Winslow trade.

So I take it the Browns are in a throw-away rebuilding season this year? So far Mangini & co. have traded TE Kellen Winslow, cut WRs Donte Stallworth and Joe Jurevicius, and RB Jamal Lewis is probably next, since he appears to be slowing down. The Browns entered the off-season with only four draft picks but they did add a 2nd rounder and another (5th?) with the Winslow trade.

To the best of my knowledge, Stallworth has not been cut.

PTF is reporting Stallworth will not be cut because there is no cost savings cutting him (guaranteed money)

Positives:
1. Proven speed and can stretch the field.
2. Great RAC numbers in the Pats offense.
3. The Pats offense could return to 2007 form with Stallworth as the #2 opposite Moss.

Possible Negatives:
1. Money. How much does he want and can the Pats afford it.
2. Stallworth did disappear sometime in 2007, but for reasons unknown to me. Apparently he lost his #3 job?

Reuniting the WR unit of 2007 just in time for Brady's return. He's probably drooling, thinking about it. But I dunno if the urgency is there to get Stallworth with Moss and Welker already both 1K+ receivers in the fold. When we signed Stallworth, we didn't know we were going to get Moss in a draft day trade.

The past second round wr picks have panned out very well for the Pats!

[sarcasm goes here]

I knew you were being sarcastic! I knew it! ;)

As a fanbase, I hope we can get over the Johnson/Jackson debacles.
Of course, I hope someday that we get one or two reasons to. Just not this April.

Wow, turns out Donte's $4.75MM roster bonus was guaranteed, so no cut. So is his $750K or whatever salary. So he's costing them about $5.5MM. That's quite a cost-per-catch.

Seems Savage left Ratgini and whatshis name the new GM a little bit of a financial mess to clean up a year before the cap goes away...LOL

No, it makes you a bad poster. The total BS of what you're saying is that there are many, many players cut that are never discussed on this board. If you don't like Satallworth, fine. But quit exaggerating and trying to blow up a valid thread because it might remind you of a thread you don't like.

I am not exaggerating. Once again, you don't like my post, so its "BS" to you. I don't know what else to say than what I've already said. I do not like Stallworth or the consideration of signing him. My point, as it has been since my first post on this topic, is just because someone gets cut, does not mean we always have to be interested in that person. I understand we have a team to build, and that's great. But seriously, look at this board...every...single....player...who gets cut and put into free agency, someone always pulls the trigger. Such as "Do we need Tomlinson, Owens, Stallworth, Ray Lewis, Peppers, etc".....It's just a tad bit ludicrous. I understand its MARCH and there is nothing else to talk about. But let's be SERIOUS. We're not signing Peppers, we're not signing Owens, and we're not about to sign some bum WR who underachieved in 2007, 2008, and sign him now because we lost Gaffney. It just gets a bit silly with "Hey, Ray Finkle got cut, lets sign him! talk..but if that makes me an AH then so be it,

Last edited:

I am not exaggerating. Once again, you don't like my post, so its "BS" to you. I don't know what else to say than what I've already said. I do not like Stallworth or the consideration of signing him. My point, as it has been since my first post on this topic, is just because someone gets cut, does not mean we always have to be interested in that person. I understand we have a team to build, and that's great. But seriously, look at this board...every...single....player...who gets cut and put into free agency, someone always pulls the trigger. Such as "Do we need Tomlinson, Owens, Stallworth, Ray Lewis, Peppers, etc".....It's just a tad bit ludicrous. I understand its MARCH and there is nothing else to talk about. But let's be SERIOUS. We're not signing Peppers, we're not signing Owens, and we're not about to sign some bum WR who underachieved in 2007, 2008, and sign him now because we lost Gaffney. It just gets a bit silly with "Hey, Ray Finkle got cut, lets sign him! talk..but if that makes me an AH then so be it,

1.) Whether you like it or not, the Patriots lost the #3 receiver to the Broncos and the team needs to replace him. Many of us are hoping for someone besides Mr. Lewis to get the job.

2.) Whether you like it or not, this is the time of year where player movement is happening throughout the league, and players are brought in and out of team offices for interviews, physicals and negotiations.

Last edited:

1.) Whether you like it or not, the Patriots lost the #3 receiver to the Broncos and the team needs to replace him. Many of us are hoping for someone besides Mr. Lewis to get the job.

2.) Whether you like it or not, this is the time of year where player movement is happening throughout the league, and players are brought in and out of team offices for interviews, physicals and negotiations.

What has Donte Stallworth done in the past two seasons of football?

So you are claiming that it is not an exaggeration to state that there is a thread dedicated to EVERY player who is cut or a FA? I could rattle off 10 players rights now who have been cut and never discussed on this board... but why bother.

So you are claiming that it is not an exaggeration to state that there is a thread dedicated to EVERY player who is cut or a FA? I could rattle off 10 players rights now who have been cut and never discussed on this board... but why bother.

My question to you is...why are you so mad? Seriously. What reason do you have to be so mad at right now? I made my point and made my suggestion as to why he should not be re-signed. You've complained about my post for the second time now...Why so angry? I stand by what I say. We are too quick to create "sign him" posts before we logically think about it. I'm not mad. I'm not bitter. But I just wish people would understand that we don't have big bucks to spend on every single free agent that comes out. Stallworth is no exception. You are yet to respond to my reasoning for NOT wanting him back. Instead, you would rather make personal attacks on an internet message board...

I have no idea why anyone would rather depend on Aiken than Stallworth, especially if Moss or Welker is out for a game or two.

Obviously the issue is the money, as it would be with Holt.

I understand not believeing that we have the cap cash, but not wanting Stallworth or Holt, that I don't understand.
OMG, thank you - a voice of reason in the darkness of a hijacked thread.

My question to you is...why are you so mad? Seriously. What reason do you have to be so mad at right now? I made my point and made my suggestion as to why he should not be re-signed. You've complained about my post for the second time now...Why so angry? I stand by what I say. We are too quick to create "sign him" posts before we logically think about it. I'm not mad. I'm not bitter. But I just wish people would understand that we don't have big bucks to spend on every single free agent that comes out. Stallworth is no exception. You are yet to respond to my reasoning for NOT wanting him back. Instead, you would rather make personal attacks on an internet message board...

I'm actually pretty happy. My neck hurts but I just ran 7 KM so I'm doing fine.

If you don't like Stallworth or want him as the WR3, I have absolutely no problem with that. You certainly have a right to that opinion and I'm not even discussing that with you.

But you came on this thread griping about it's very existence and comparing a valid discussion about re-signing the Pats 2007 WR to signing long gone NFL players, not to mention Osama Bin Laden. And then you continue to pollute the thread by wrongly complaining about threads dedicated to EVERY FA - which as you know is not even close to the truth. That's wrong, that's crap, and that's wrong.

So if I'm "mad" at anything it's about you denigrating this thread and make wild exaggerations and stupid comparisons. I don't know you and I'm not attacking "you" - just your posts. And if you go back and read some of the other responses to your first post, you'll see clearly that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I'm probably just the only one wide awake right now.

That's not my point. The "madness" is that every single player who is cut or is a free agent is immediately a target. Look, I want the Patriots to get better, I do. But I think it's a bit crazy that everytime someone gets cut, whether it be a Donte Stallworth or a Banta Cain, there is immediately a "lets sign him thread"...It isn't so much the prospect of having Stallworth back but rather how many times people jump the gun. We got our guy in Greg Lewis, why do we need a guy who underachieved in 2007, did nothing in 2008, and then bring him back here to compete in the SAME offense with the SAME players he did NOTHING with in 2007? Especially since we have Greg Lewis...Just don't see the infatuation here. But I criticized a post so I guess that makes me a bad guy...

lol....what'd our guy greg lewis do the last couple or six years?

oh no I di'int.

lol....what'd our guy greg lewis do the last couple or six years?

oh no I di'int.

Oh yes you did!

The fact is it's unlikel to find a WR3 who has had a very big past few years. If they did, they wouldn't be in the running to be a WR3.

What has Donte Stallworth done in the past two seasons of football?

You mean besides having 46 receptions for a 16-0 team? I don't think he's the cat's ass, but let's at least use a bit of of common sense here.

depends on his contract demands. He has the speed to stretch the field and has good hands.

It's possible you're thinking of Chad Jackson, too.

I think Stallworth was ok, just not making a case for his payday. It was smart to phase him out early on so non-renewal didn't seem like a big deal.

I think he lost his job to Gaffney based on value, more than anything. It should be noted that we now have neither one.

I'm still thinking drafting a WR high-ish as an experiment would be ok, especially this year with all the day-one picks we have (so far).

Donte was a product of adding a bunch of receivers in the offseason like we are doing at CB this season and we did at LB in the draft and UDFAs last year. They shore up glaring weaknesses by piling bodies in. Donte was the odd man out. WR really isn't a huge need unless we get injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe