PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donte' Stallworth may get cut today. Would you take him back?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you re-sign Stallworth?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Donte Stallworth may get cut today. Would you take him back?

I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Absent even caveats, why?

He ended the 2007 season as a 4th WR to Jabar Gaffney. He had a miserable season in cleveland where they predicted he'd be a complimentary player who only saw maybe 70 balls...he saw 17. Missed the first 4 games and another mid season.

We did Rosenhaus a mutual solid two years ago. That covers us for the rest of the decade.

Oddly, he'd have made some sense in Denver where Josh needs guys who are at least familiar with the system terminology. And playing with a gunslinger who isn't necessraily going to embrace it could potentially wing it... Could have had more effect there if healthy as he did briefly in Philly (who oddly still didn't want him even as they remain WR starved).

Jab would have made more sense for KC where Cassel could have used an outlet go to guy until the rest of them catch on to an entirely new system and terminology...if Cutler remains pissy Jab is likely to be ignored there...

Here, Donte'd have to pay us considering how much he's already been overpaid his last few years in this league... Seems like a great guy from a sociability standpoint, just more yak than yac and more media accessible than a 3rd or 4th option WR should be. He talks like a starter and performs like a 3rd stringer. 7 years after he was drafted, I think he is what he is and that's something we've moved past.

Last edited:

I hear Ben Coates and Marion Butts also want to come back into football, anyone think they'd be awesome pick ups for the Pats? Gosh, this stuff is madness. I still do not understand why every single time one player is cut from a team, we always need to do a "Hey, Bin Laden just got cut from Al Qaeda, any interest?" in him type threads or polls.

Hey, Bin laden is like 6'6''. he would be great across from Moss! But he would get hit a lot though. In fact, if we ever catch him, that should be his punishment. Every NFL player in the league gets a free shot at hitting him while he just stands there. He gets no pads of course! Hit him as hard as they can....And each player, should have a Tilman jersey on!

Can Bin Laden play OLB with his medical condition?

you mean being in the ground for a few years? :rolleyes:

The guy died like around, I dunno, 7 to 9 years ago.

Kidney failure.

That's not my point. The "madness" is that every single player who is cut or is a free agent is immediately a target. Look, I want the Patriots to get better, I do. But I think it's a bit crazy that everytime someone gets cut, whether it be a Donte Stallworth or a Banta Cain, there is immediately a "lets sign him thread"...It isn't so much the prospect of having Stallworth back but rather how many times people jump the gun. We got our guy in Greg Lewis, why do we need a guy who underachieved in 2007, did nothing in 2008, and then bring him back here to compete in the SAME offense with the SAME players he did NOTHING with in 2007? Especially since we have Greg Lewis...Just don't see the infatuation here. But I criticized a post so I guess that makes me a bad guy...

Yes, I get your point, but what is worse than "sign so-and-so" posts is complaining about "sign so-and-so" posts. And it's not even close. At least the original post is constructive and stimulate discussion. Especially in friggin' MARCH. If you have something more interesting to talk about in March, I'm all ears, but the draft and potential FAs is all there is.

Yes, I get your point, but what is worse than "sign so-and-so" posts is complaining about "sign so-and-so" posts. And it's not even close. At least the original post is constructive and stimulate discussion. Especially in friggin' MARCH. If you have something more interesting to talk about in March, I'm all ears, but the draft and potential FAs is all there is.

:agree:

He doesn't have to read it if he doesn't want to. Heck, if it is offensive enough, he can always give it a low rating. Some of us just want to talk about anything Patriots :)

I would rather take a chance on a 2nd or 3rd round WR in the draft and would not surprise me if they went with a WR at #1 - Its cheaper and since Brady is back that rookie would probably learn quickly .... unless his name is Chad Jackson :banned:

So Stallworth has been cut or not had his option picked up by four seperate teams in four years now if I recall his history correctly. Well, a player that popular is a must sign.

I think the interest stems from his speed... he IS very fast. Just not that great though.

Maybe BB drafts some rookies. Hopefully after the second round though...:rolleyes:

you mean being in the ground for a few years? :rolleyes:

The guy died like around, I dunno, 7 to 9 years ago.

Kidney failure.

Who? Favre? :D

I answered "yes" to the question, but at this point I'd consider getting a rookie early on Day Two to complement the receivers. Someone with speed and returning ability.

I hear Bin Laden might be available. :eek:

I would rather take a chance on a 2nd or 3rd round WR in the draft and would not surprise me if they went with a WR at #1 - Its cheaper and since Brady is back that rookie would probably learn quickly .... unless his name is Chad Jackson :banned:

I'd hate a WR in the first, although a second rounder would be acceptable (second half of round 2). I just think there's enough talent at WR this year to provide a no. 3 later on, as opposed to a higher-end OLB, DB or OT.

I'd hate a WR in the first, although a second rounder would be acceptable (second half of round 2). I just think there's enough talent at WR this year to provide a no. 3 later on, as opposed to a higher-end OLB, DB or OT.

The past second round wr picks have panned out very well for the Pats!

[sarcasm goes here]

Was that "Osama Leigh Bodden"?

The scouting report on him says he "blows up the competition" :eek::eek::eek:

I think this is a sign that we should grab Adam Seward before Al Quieda does. I hear that they sent a private donkey to bring him in for a workout.:D

I have no idea why anyone would rather depend on Aiken than Stallworth, especially if Moss or Welker is out for a game or two.

Obviously the issue is the money, as it would be with Holt.

I understand not believeing that we have the cap cash, but not wanting Stallworth or Holt, that I don't understand.

I would take him back in a heart beat if the money is right. He's seem like a really cool guy to play with.

I was excited that Donte Stallworth was a Pat, and felt he could have been our number 1 reciver, then the moss thing happened.. If he comes it would be a short deal again, but I think Belichick has moved on from him, expect him to land in Kc if any place..

I hear Ben Coates and Marion Butts also want to come back into football, anyone think they'd be awesome pick ups for the Pats? Gosh, this stuff is madness. I still do not understand why every single time one player is cut from a team, we always need to do a "Hey, Bin Laden just got cut from Al Qaeda, any interest?" in him type threads or polls.

so i guess that would be a no? and did u just say gosh?

Not a very thoughtful response. As mentioned, this guy knows the system, has a player-relationship with Brady, has talent and would have a clear edge over Greg Lewis. One year deal for Stallworth, then he can make money elsewhere and net the Pats another compensee pick in 2011.

Wow, turns out Donte's $4.75MM roster bonus was guaranteed, so no cut. So is his $750K or whatever salary. So he's costing them about $5.5MM. That's quite a cost-per-catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back