PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins freeing up a total of around 50 million in cap.

Now we know why dolphins were freeing up cap space

I know…its only March but takent gap between Pats ans other AFC east teams is like grand canyon.

BB and Krafts unwillingness to ever take risks is hurting this team.

Good for them.

What can I do about it besides watching you go all chicken little over this?
Nah not chicken little just predicting/analyzing. So far Dolphins got better let's see what we do

Patriots are pretty much an irrelevant franchise now to anyone who's not a Patriots fan, will be picked by almost everyone to be last in the Division when the Jets get Rodgers.

This approach with the roster worked great when you had the best QB, now you're about to have the worst QB in the Division and the worst roster how can you expect to overcome that?

Patriots are pretty much an irrelevant franchise now to anyone who's not a Patriots fan, will be picked by almost everyone to be last in the Division when the Jets get Rodgers.

This approach with the roster worked great when you had the best QB, now you're about to have the worst QB in the Division and the worst roster how can you expect to overcome that?
Idk, maybe let free agency and draft play itself out first?

Patriots moving at snails pace again. We have seen this movie before
Unless you consider resigning Ferentz and Mcmillann as key moves while their HOF worthy safety retires.

While patriots let”market play out” this week prepare for a few underwhelming. “Moves”

Idk, maybe let free agency and draft play itself out first?
Unless it involves quarterback they will still be picked to be last in the Division no matter who they sign now, they aren't going to be able to make enough moves to overcome the strength and depth of the other rosters in the Division.

Patriots moving at snails pace again. We have seen this movie before
Unless you consider resigning Ferentz and Mcmillann as key moves while their HOF worthy safety retires.

While patriots let”market play out” this week prepare for a few underwhelming. “Moves”
I’ll have my bottle of Jack at my desk.

The thing is this wasn't always the approach. When we let Branch go and it weighed on us like an anchor in 2006, they proceeded to go make some big moves in the off season and had an incredible season that if Brady didn't get hurt in 08 probably would have made them high end Super Bowl favorites for at least 3-4 years straight.

I think weirdly enough Edelman 4 years into his career panning out and them always getting good incentive deals on Gronk along with Brady really kicking it into high gear in the second half of the dynasty sort of tricked them into thinking that they didn't get incredibly fortunate. Even little things like always under paying Amendola and making him take cuts until he finally left added up. We did make the trade for Cooks, but everyone knew we would unload him the minute we had to pay serious money (same with Revis, though that was smarter).

I think they have to be willing to take some swings now.

Question is who is the cheap one Bill or Bob?
If Bob wants to get the Pats back in conversation needs a huge off-season.

Weird to watch the Dolphins go "all-in" with a coach they were rumored to be considering firing last year if he didn't beat the Jets in the final week, and with a QB who should probably consider retiring for his own health. But sure, I'm convinced that because they've burned almost all their cap money already for the next 2 seasons before free agency this year has even begun, just to add one player, and don't have a first round pick, they're definitely going to blow the doors off the Pats, who definitely won't make any moves at all and will just sit on their cap space. Btw, what was Miami's record last year - it was like, WAY better than New England's right?

(Patriots have $146M more cap space next year than the Dolphins, btw)

Weird to watch the Dolphins go "all-in" with a coach they were rumored to be considering firing last year if he didn't beat the Jets in the final week, and with a QB who should probably consider retiring for his own health. But sure, I'm convinced that because they've burned almost all their cap money already for the next 2 seasons before free agency this year has even begun, just to add one player, and don't have a first round pick,

they're definitely going to blow the doors off the Pats, who definitely won't make any moves at all
well we resigned mcmillan, so who is the winner now :D
and will just sit on their cap space. Btw, what was Miami's record last year - it was like, WAY better than New England's right?

Free agency has barely gotten started, there are a bunch of great CB's available you don't have to trade for, and who also don't want a new contract making them the highest paid CB in the league. That's not cheap, that's smart.

It's less about cheap and more about investment in the roster longterm. Which makes me think it's Bill.

NFL owners HAVE to use up most of the cap each year. Now the caveat is that guaranteed money needs to be placed in escrow, which could hurt owners who don't have cash flow.

Personally I think Bill would make a stink and try to leave if he thought his owner wouldn't let him make the moves he needed. I think it's more that Bill is a bit gun shy with big guaranteed contracts that he views as a detriment to the future.

Also I think Bill was the first coach to really maximize how to work the cap. But now other teams have caught up in how to manipulate it as long as they need before paying it forward all at once. Bill seems very against that philosophy.

Weird to watch the Dolphins go "all-in" with a coach they were rumored to be considering firing last year if he didn't beat the Jets in the final week, and with a QB who should probably consider retiring for his own health. But sure, I'm convinced that because they've burned almost all their cap money already for the next 2 seasons before free agency this year has even begun, just to add one player, and don't have a first round pick, they're definitely going to blow the doors off the Pats, who definitely won't make any moves at all and will just sit on their cap space. Btw, what was Miami's record last year - it was like, WAY better than New England's right?

The Phins defense has the potential to be very good under Fangio but I’m not sold on their offense.

Their LT can’t stay healthy, which is a problem because their QB is one severe concussion away from his career potentially being over, they can’t run the ball, their entire offense is based upon their elite WR combo and if either Waddle or Hill go down with a major injury they won’t be able to put up enough points to win consistently.

They don’t have enough picks to impact their 2023 season through the draft but also don’t have enough cap space to be a major player in FA.

Miami is still scheduled to have $12m in cap space at the start of the 2024 offseason!…..3rd lowest, with only 29 players under contract at the point.

Neither are cheap. They spend the maximum they are allowed to

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back