PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins freeing up a total of around 50 million in cap.

Exactly. And the "darlings" of this thread, the Miami Dolphins, now have a $60 MILLION cap charge for JUST Tyreek Hill in 2026... But yeah, they are geniuses...
Hill’s 2026 cap figure is actually $53.8 million of which $41.3 m is non-guaranteed salary. If they cut him in 2026, they’d have $12.5 of dead money. YOUR Patriots will have a $9.73 m dead money charge for Devin McCourty this season.

You’d think the last 4 seasons would have dissipated some of our Pats fan’s arrogance. There are different ways to manage salary caps and run football teams. Many different ways have been successful. “Cap hell” is not really that bad. Think 2020 Patriots.

For all our Patriots hubris, the “Patriot Way” of not paying market for anyone except the HC and QB hasn’t worked anywhere else. That’s a testimony to the best HC and the best QB in NFL history and not their methods.

The best QB is gone, and the best HC is almost 71 years old and was the only person in the world who thought Matt Patricia and Joe Judge could adequately coordinate an offense, so his judgement might not be as sound as it was when he was in his prime.

We can make fun of the Dolphins and Jets for being the Dolphins and Jets, but their ownership is going for it. The next few days will show whether the Pats still think the can win by pure genius or whether they realize, as their genius HC recently said, that “players win football games” and start paying market to get them and keep them.

Hill’s 2026 cap figure is actually $53.8 million of which $41.3 m is non-guaranteed salary. If they cut him in 2026, they’d have $12.5 of dead money. YOUR Patriots will have a $9.73 m dead money charge for Devin McCourty this season.

You’d think the last 4 seasons would have dissipated some of our Pats fan’s arrogance. There are different ways to manage salary caps and run football teams. Many different ways have been successful. “Cap hell” is not really that bad. Think 2020 Patriots.

For all our Patriots hubris, the “Patriot Way” of not paying market for anyone except the HC and QB hasn’t worked anywhere else. That’s a testimony to the best HC and the best QB in NFL history and not their methods.

The best QB is gone, and the best HC is almost 71 years old and was the only person in the world who thought Matt Patricia and Joe Judge could adequately coordinate an offense, so his judgement might not be as sound as it was when he was in his prime.

We can make fun of the Dolphins and Jets for being the Dolphins and Jets, but their ownership is going for it. The next few days will show whether the Pats still think the can win by pure genius or whether they realize, as their genius HC recently said, that “players win football games” and start paying market to get them and keep them.
They pay the same amount for players as anyone else.

"YOUR Patriots" is a very strange thing to say here. I suppose you are not a part of that group? What team do you root for?

I didn't say anything about guaranteed money, I said he has a $60M cap figure. You're right, it's only about $54M. Sorry I was off by 10%.

Not sure what you're talking about with not paying market. The Agholor, Henry, Smith, Judon deals were all top of the market. I'd argue Devin McCourty was a bit overpaid but was worth it due to his leadership contributions to the team. Who are they low-balling, in your mind?

Yeah that is what I was thinking about. It feels weird to push so much debt into the future to keep together a core that isn’t actually that good? Like I would get it if they were winning division titles and reaching AFCCGs, but they are either barely making the postseason and immediately getting bounced out, or just not making it at all. And now they will need to pay their rookie QB and won’t have any room left to make any other moves because they’ve already spent the rest of their money to keep guys that are already there who they aren’t winning with.
They need to draft extraordinarily well and sign value vet free agents this year, do I think they will? Probably not, they're poorly run and poorly coached.

Some fans often knock coaching/management as irrelevant and think if a team gets the players it will make bad coaching good... that's not the case. The Cowboys have great teams every year, that place is systematically bad every season, it starts from the top and trickles down.

I just don’t understand the obsession with cap space in future years. Like I’m sorry, is the plan to win this coming season (year 4 of the rebuild by the way) or is the plan to win in 2024 or 25 or 26…2030 is looking great from a cap perspective! You can question if the Chargers have enough to win it all to make it worth it but they do have actual blue chippers that gives them a fighting chance and it’s been shown that getting out of cap hell isn’t some decade long endeavor. 1-2 seasons and you can be back to competing again.
If one is truly trying to get an understanding of cap space, not the X's and O's or legalese, but a basic understanding... one thing to know is you can't look at a one season snapshot of it. It's better to take a sky high look at it, measure available cap space against the roster, how many quality players are under contract and how much space does the team have in the next couple years. Also to be considered is draft picks, do they still have their 7 per year, do they have more or less, are they good at drafting? Draft picks are a reservoir of cheap labor. All these things together paint a picture of cap resources.

The Pats reset their cap space in 2020, took a down year where they simply didn't accrue serious debt or made any significant signings and paid off the dead cap they owed. 2021 they had a gang of money, draft picks and started over, they made the playoffs with a rookie QB.

2022 was a lost year. this was the year they were supposed to be competitive in the playoffs. Instead a horrendous vanity fueled decision to go without an offensive coach led to the 25th ranked offense in the NFL... despite the fact the offense talent wise was much more talented than the year prior where they ranked 6th and won 10 games. They should have been a 10/11/12 win team and won some playoff games. We can either bemoan that mistake and focus on it, or move on. The team clearly moved on the day after the season ended when they announced they were looking to hire a new coordinator and eventually did.

In 2023 they need to focus on drafting well and signing some athletic free agents, they build as close to a superteam as possible. I had hope last season, but this season with Obie on board I feel a lot better about their prospects. Winning rings is hard, I know they made it look easy for two decades... but it wasn't.

And for the record, the Patriots have blue chippers also, they also have a few young players who could develop into blue chippers.

Last edited:
Not to get in the middle of it, but I say stuff like "YOUR New England Patriots" all the time, mentally doing the voice of a guy on a PA system, or the guy on a sports show imitating the guy on the PA.

Finally Brady and Rodgers in the same division... and of course, now that the O isn't in the hands of Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, Mac Jones holding the door to usher them both into their well-deserved real retirements. :D

If one is truly trying to get an understanding of cap space, not the X's and O's or legalese, but a basic understanding... one thing to know is you can't look at a one season snap shot of it. It's better to take a sky high look at it, measure available cap space against the roster, how many quality players are under contract and how much space does the team have in the next couple years. Also to be considered is draft picks, do they still have their 7 per year, do they have more or less, are they good at drafting? Draft picks are a reservoir of cheap labor. All these things together paint a picture of cap resources.

The Pats reset their cap space in 2020, took a down year where they simply didn't accrue serious debt or made any significant signings and paid off the dead cap they owed. 2021 they had a gang of money, draft picks and started over, they made the playoffs with a rookie QB.

2022 was a lost year. this was the year they were supposed to be competitive in the playoffs. Instead a horrendous vanity fueled decision to go without an offensive coach led to the 25th ranked offense in the NFL... despite the fact the offense talent wise was much more talented than the year prior where they ranked 6th and won 10 games. They should have been a 10/11/12 win team but won some playoff games. We can either bemoan that mistake and focus on it or move on, the team clearly moved on the day after the season ended when they announced they were looking to hire a new coordinator and eventually did.

In 2023 they need to focus on drafting well and signing some athletic free agents, they build as close to a superteam as possible. I had hope last season but this season with Obie on board I feel a lot better about their prospects. Winning rings is hard, I know they made it look easy for two decades but it wasn't.

And for the record, the Patriots have blue chippers also, they also have a few young players who could develop into blue chippers.
Very good points. This is what BB was talking about when he talked about managing the cap over a 3 year horizon when reacting to the questions about spending so much on FA when they brought in Judon, Hunter Henry, etc.. On the field some worked out, some did not. The investment was in line with a long term cap strategy to jump start the rebuild without creating issues keeping the existing roster or continuing to add pieces.

Not to get in the middle of it, but I say stuff like "YOUR New England Patriots" all the time, mentally doing the voice of a guy on a PA system, or the guy on a sports show imitating the guy on the PA.

Finally Brady and Rodgers in the same division... and of course, now that the O isn't in the hands of Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, Mac Jones holding the door to usher them both into their well-deserved real retirements. :D
"YOUR New England Patriots" when you're talking about a team accomplishment or something, sure I see what you mean. But in the context of quoting someone's post about the Dolphins to say how their post is wrong and then drawing a negative comparison to the Patriots and saying "YOUR Patriots" carries a different kind of connotation.

"YOUR Patriots" is a very strange thing to say here. I suppose you are not a part of that group? What team do you root for?
So, the Wicked Son in the Passover Haggadah rather than the PA announcer. Check. :D

(There's presently a book by that name and it clogs google searches... so to be brief, the Wicked Son asks, "What are these observances to you?" The text says because he says "to you," you "set his teeth on edge" by saying "It is because of what God did for me, when I came out of Egypt-- me and not you, because you exclude yourself." If you're Jewish, my apologies for Jewsplaining.)

This. The Patriots have more than $300,000,000 in cap than the Dolphins do through 2026.
aka.....12 Palm Beach condos + 1 Bentley + 1 Rolls + 4 monogrammed booster seats

aka.....12 Palm Beach condos + 1 Bentley + 1 Rolls + 4 monogrammed booster seats
You do realize Kraft is worth billions, right? in essence, thats pocket change... He could do that and hardly notice the outflow...

I do have to add the monogrammed booster seat line is lol funny

I just don’t understand the obsession with cap space in future years. Like I’m sorry, is the plan to win this coming season (year 4 of the rebuild by the way) or is the plan to win in 2024 or 25 or 26…2030 is looking great from a cap perspective! You can question if the Chargers have enough to win it all to make it worth it but they do have actual blue chippers that gives them a fighting chance and it’s been shown that getting out of cap hell isn’t some decade long endeavor. 1-2 seasons and you can be back to competing again.

If the Pats want to make a blockbuster move, they can use future cap room to structure mega deals today, which is exactly what some of these other teams are doing except that their invoice is due in the next 1-2 years. The Pats invoice won't be due for like 5 years, they just need to make sure they're pulling the trigger on the right free agents for those deals and not have a repeat of Jonnu Smith and Nelson Agholor

You dont spend money just to spend it, you need to spend it intelligently.. if you go all in on the wrong guy its going to set you back for years

They're signing Ramsey

Dolphins just got better and before you guys say "We haven't played a game yet" it's the offseason we can't do much but predict and analyze

While YOUR Patriots will lose good players because they value them at $12.5m and won’t budge from it when the market hits $14m. But, they’re YOUR Patriots, and they’re always right in your Bill worshipping eyes despite ample evidence to the contrary.

While YOUR Patriots will lose good players because they value them at $12.5m and won’t budge from it when the market hits $14m. But, they’re YOUR Patriots, and they’re always right in your Bill worshipping eyes despite ample evidence to the contrary.
Don't say that you'll get killed

They're signing Ramsey

Dolphins just got better and before you guys say "We haven't played a game yet" it's the offseason we can't do much but predict and analyze

Trade agreement done? contract signed? T's crossed, I's dotted?

no?

maybe they get him, maybe they don't...

T's crossed, I's dotted?

no?

Sorry I should've used Rapsheets tweet he says that Ramsey heading to Miami

T's crossed, I's dotted?

no?

Only a third round pick for a All Pro corner.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back