PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you see the roster having 4 quarterbacks?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will the opening roster have 4 QBs in 2008?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I am almost sure that this roster of 4 QBs is the biggest amount this team has had since Belichick got here,in fact I don't think any team has 4 QBs except maybe the Bucs right now who have 5 on the roster.

Do you see a QB gettting cut? or do you think this year the QB is packed with 4 just in case TB gets injured- I see no way the roster is wasted with 4,but you never know,I do know BB has said many times he likes Guitterez and Casell is his boy and he did use (waste) a pick in the middle rounds on a QB .

Might be the perfect time to shop Cassell for a 6th or 7th rounder next year - Some team has got to be desperate enough to take a chance on him

Last edited:
I don't care how many QB's we have on our roster, just as long as #12 is the starter.

I am almost sure that this roster of 4 QBs is the biggest amount this team has had since Belichick got here
We carried 4 in 2000 - Bledsoe, Friesz, Bishop, Brady. But we had a lot less competition.

I think Cassel is gone, I voted for trade as I think we can get a little scrap from someone for him. But I think we'll release him if not. I expect Gutierrez to be the backup this year with O'Connell pushing him. Gutierrez seemed to have a nice feel during his playing time in preseason last year.

We carried 4 in 2000 - Bledsoe, Friesz, Bishop, Brady. But we had a lot less competition.

I think Cassel is gone, I voted for trade as I think we can get a little scrap from someone for him. But I think we'll release him if not. I expect Gutierrez to be the backup this year with O'Connell pushing him. Gutierrez seemed to have a nice feel during his playing time in preseason last year.

Yes,I do remember 4 in 2000 and Tom was on the bottom level of that heap behind Bishop :eek:,Funny to look back at that roster and laugh.

I always did like John Friesz though,He was a gutsy guy and of course Bledsoe was my other sports idol in the era before Brady and after Larry Bird.

Yeah, we also started that season with a 51-man roster because BB said he didn't have 53 NFL-quality players. We picked up Andruzzi the first week of the season when Green Bay cut him. I forget who the other guy we added was.

As far as the poll goes, it left out the most likely choice. One QB on IR.

Yeah, we also started that season with a 51-man roster because BB said he didn't have 53 NFL-quality players. We picked up Andruzzi the first week of the season when Green Bay cut him. I forget who the other guy we added was.

Do you mean IR or placed on the PS?

I agree that a QB might suffer an unfortunate "injury" to "shoulder" during TC. I don't think we want to shop Cassel until we know that Gutes can run the offense should the unthinkable happen.

The other guy you're looking for, IIRC, is Sale Isaiah (Sp?), another guard.

I would put the odds of keeping 4 QBs on the roster at less than 1%. PS is unlikely. IR is possible. Trying to trade Cassel is almost a guarantee. Cutting him is probable.

Everyone knows we aren't cutting a 3rd rounder or trying to put him on our PS.

They also know we won't cut gutierrez.

If I'm another team, I'm not giving up much for a QB that never started in college or the NFL. Maybe a 7th rounder. 6th rounder might be pushing it.

Of course, a fantastic preseason might help. Let's hope for that!

I would put the odds of keeping 4 QBs on the roster at less than 1%. PS is unlikely. IR is possible. Trying to trade Cassel is almost a guarantee. Cutting him is probable.

Everyone knows we aren't cutting a 3rd rounder or trying to put him on our PS.

They also know we won't cut gutierrez.

If I'm another team, I'm not giving up much for a QB that never started in college or the NFL. Maybe a 7th rounder. 6th rounder might be pushing it.

Of course, a fantastic preseason might help. Let's hope for that!

If Gutes can run the offense, then we can trade Cassell, but I'd rather have him for this season. IF the decision is made to trade/cut him, we need to trade him outside of the Conference to a QB-needy team like St. Louis, even if it's only for a conditional pick.

I think lots of teams carry 4 QB's into camp, we are more the exception to the rule in that we haven't. This year I think we want to because coming off last year Brady doesn't need the added wear and tear on his arm in camp or pre-season because he isn't breaking in an entirely new set of receivers. Cassel is also the holder, and his backup is likely fighting for his job as the punter. Gutierrez has shown a willingness to play on ST. He also is PS eligible.

What too many of you are overlooking is Matt #3 is extremely RAW. And Matt #1 is entering his 4th season in the system with 2 full seasons as the primary backup. Drafted QB's are a bit like puppies, they're all cute at the beginning. I know Cassel has thrown a couple of picks, name me a backup who hasn't... Were any of you here for the Rohan Davey experience??? He couldn't run this offense even in pre season to save his life. Did any of you catch Vinny in Carolina last season? Is that what you long for? Matt has looked good at least in stretches. Good enough in fact that Flutie opted to walk away when he could have had another season on the payroll.

But whatever, if obcessing over the backup QB's otherwise occupies some of you, so be it.

Last edited:
I don't see 4 QBs on roster as that big a stretch.

Granted our roster is tight up against the 53 man limit. But last year we kept Troy Brown on the roster all year out of respect and he saw the field for what - 3 plays?

I'd say it is much more likely for a PUP or IR of somebody or a Cassel trade; but you never know. we could end up with 4.

I agree with all of the above.

There just isn't the room to carry 4 QBs this time. Our roster is stacked, and has such depth that we're going to end up cutting a few pretty decent depth players. We don't have the luxury of carrying another QB.

You missed one option on your list.

1 of the QBs get an "injury" and goes on IR for the season :D

I agree that a QB might suffer an unfortunate "injury" to "shoulder" during TC.

I actually disagree. There'd be no point with Cassel since he's in the last year of his contract, while O'Connell is the classic raw-as-lettuce kid with a world of talent who really needs the practice reps. Gutierrez mayyybe.

The key here is contracts. If Cassel vs. Gutierrez is a close decision, Gutierrez has a huge leg up because the Patriots control his rights through 2010.

The poll is missing one category: "Who's O'Donnell?"

The poll is missing one category: "Who's O'Donnell?"

Rosie O'Donnell was just signed - LOL I meant O'Connell,you were the first to pick up that blunder

Can you fix a poll like you could a regular post? or is it as-is?

Last edited by a moderator:
pats doesn't have enough money to keep everybody in their payroll.

Yes,I do remember 4 in 2000 and Tom was on the bottom level of that heap behind Bishop :eek:,Funny to look back at that roster and laugh

Even funnier when you recall that Brady passed Bishop on the depth chart late in that year leading to a week of "Is the HC of the NEP a racist" talk on WEEI.

I think there are only going to be 3 and Kevin O'Connell is going to be one of them. He started for 3.5 years at San Diego State giving him more game experience then cassel. The last time Cassel started a regular season game was in h.s. and while he could be decent at some point i think O'Connell has a bigger up side. If the patriots didn't intend on keeping him around they wouldn't have used a third round pick on him. Gutierreze is the wild card here and they may or may not keep him. If O'Connell has a good enough camp would it be that unrealistic for the team to only carry 2 QBs if they felt they needed more depth at another position?

i'd like to see the pats just carry 2 QBs, i hate to have roster spots taken by a 3rd or 4th QB backup. there is no way the team will keep 4 qbs on the roster, the team is too deep to do it. it would not surprise me to see o'donnell red-shirted, oh i mean, IR'd towards the end of training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back