PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you see the roster having 4 quarterbacks?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will the opening roster have 4 QBs in 2008?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see an option for putting Gutz on the PS so i just picked Brady being cut. :cool:

i'd like to see the pats just carry 2 QBs, i hate to have roster spots taken by a 3rd or 4th QB backup. there is no way the team will keep 4 qbs on the roster, the team is too deep to do it. it would not surprise me to see o'donnell red-shirted, oh i mean, IR'd towards the end of training camp.

It's silly not to have a 3rd QB. Gameday inactive rules allow you to not dress one, yet have him available for emergency duty....as opposed to another lineman or defensive back that's going to be inactive most weeks.

It's a freebie as far as gameday goes....and it would be tough to argue there's a better use of a spot on the 53 than a developmental or emergency quarterback.

The only way we only keep two is if we had a guy like Brad Smith or Antwaan Randle-El (or Tom Tupa) who primarily played another position but could QB if necessary.

I am almost sure that this roster of 4 QBs is the biggest amount this team has had since Belichick got here,in fact I don't think any team has 4 QBs except maybe the Bucs right now who have 5 on the roster.
THIS roster?? At THIS time of year...not at all..WRONG!!! This team usually has 4 QBs..in camp..in fact a few years ago they started TC with 5..although that number was quickly reduced by one..
If this was the start of the season..it would be rare...going back to the 4 they had in 00...the offseason is a different matter.

No freaking way. This isn't 2000.

And Cassell is a guard on the Boston Celtics.

Cassel is a player on the New England Patriots.

Guiterrez or Cassel will be traded to the Falcons and our old friend Dimitroff. Lombardi recently said on NFL Network that Dimitroff loves Guiterrez and would part with as high as a mid Rd pick for him. I don't think Dimitroff is satisfied with Redman, Harrington and/or Shockley as a #2 and mentor's for Ryan. Cassel would have some value as a mentor for Ryan with his inside knowledge of Brady's routine.

The key here is contracts. If Cassel vs. Gutierrez is a close decision, Gutierrez has a huge leg up because the Patriots control his rights through 2010.

Bingo.

I can't believe it took until the 14th post for someone to point this out.

Also, they carried two QBs for quite a while two years ago before picking up vinny off the shadow roster........so to go from that to four is quite unthinkable.

No freaking way. This isn't 2000.

And Cassell is a guard on the Boston Celtics.

Cassel is a player on the New England Patriots.

How would you expect anyone to be able to spell the name of a quarterback who hasn't come up in the box score of a meaningful game in 7 years?

Since the Pats drafted Cassel... wouldn't he be an RFA once his initial contract is up?

Last edited:
Since the Pats drafted Cassel... wouldn't he be an RFA once his initial contract is up?

No, RFA has nothing to do with draft status.

You're an RFA if you have three accrued seasons when your contract expires.

Since Cassel will have 4 accrued seasons (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008) when his contract expires in March 2009, he will be a UFA.

I voted Cassel getting cut, but I did not consider the practice squad for 1. At this point Cassel is the experienced veteran that BB wants in the mix.

Guiterrez or Cassel will be traded to the Falcons and our old friend Dimitroff. Lombardi recently said on NFL Network that Dimitroff loves Guiterrez and would part with as high as a mid Rd pick for him.

Interesting. If Dimitroff thinks that, then Cassel, not Gutierrez, is probably the odd man out for the Patriots.

IMO Cassel's natural talent is comparable to many starting Qbs in the NFL. The point is often made that he hasn't played since high school. This is incorrect. He has played a full college season's worth of preseason NFL games. NFL preseason games are at a much higher level than college football. By and large, Cassel has excelled in his preseason opportunities. I expect him to play very well this preseason, and be traded for a mid rd pick before final cuts. IMO people underestimate his value. Tall, accurate, agile Qbs with a USC and Patriot pedigree who excel in the preseason have NFL value, whatever his detractors believe.

It is very hard to judge a Qb when he is called into a game off the bench, cold, with no repetitons during the week. A good example of this Chad Pennington in 2002. In week 2, The Pats slaughtered the Jets 44-7, and Testaverde was benched. Pennignton came in cold (year 3 after he was drafted) in that game and looked awful. Later that season he was given the starting job and played phenomenal football, winning the div title and beating the Pats in Foxboro to do so. Repetitions with the 1st team during practice acclimated him to game conditions and he looked like a completely different, mature QB on game day.

So to judge Cassel off that one Miami performance is foolish. Brady said as much, when it was brought up to him.

That said, I prefer Gutierrez as the back up Qb this coming season. At least he played a full season of college football, although at a lower level. He has all the attributes you look for in an NFL Qb: height, arm strength, mobility, smarts. His college experience gives him the one attribute Cassel seems to lack: calmness in the pocket. Pocket presence is partly innate, partly acquired through repetition with real bullets flying.

Gutierrez looks like he has starting caliber talent in the NFL. He reminds me of that Tampa Bay back up Qb from Toledo, the one Kaczur used to block for, but with more natural talent.

The QB position is a funny position.

Unless you are winning Super bowls or putting up Peyton numbers the next guy is always better.

I voted for cutting Guitierez as I feel Cassell is the back up with the most knowledge of the system and the rook IMO would be all but guarenteed a spot.

I know Guitierez looked pretty good in training camp and preseason last year but werent we granting similar praise to cassell his first year. He hasn't really done much where we should lose any confidence that we may have gained in him so Why hoist Guitierez ahead of him. In that case Bishop is better than Drew right.

I say they carry four one on PS if he makes it thru waivers would be Guitierez. If the rook comes in and really impresses the coacches with his ability to grasp a system could make Cassell trade bait but I think some team would have to be real desperate to give enough for the trade to go thru.

I am not sure a 6 or 7 round pick would be enough for me to give up the back up with the most knowledge of the system. At the same time I doubt anyone would give much more than that for back up QB who hasn't started since highschool.

Might be the perfect time to shop Cassell for a 6th or 7th rounder next year - Some team has got to be desperate enough to take a chance on him
You'd be lucky to get a stale ham sandwich for Matt "Pick Six" Cassel.

You'd be lucky to get a stale ham sandwich for Matt "Pick Six" Cassel.

What could we get for the "led a furious comeback to get to within a two-point conversion of beating the Dolphins with a bunch of second-and-third stringers" Matt Cassel?

What could we get for the "led a furious comeback to get to within a two-point conversion of beating the Dolphins with a bunch of second-and-third stringers" Matt Cassel?
Cassel has regressed or you didn't notice that last year against the 1-15 Dolphins.

Cassel has regressed or you didn't notice that last year against the 1-15 Dolphins.

Good evening....and welcome to Small Sample Size Theater.....

There is no way I see them keeping 4 QB's. I think in the end they will either trade or release Matt Cassel. I think we could land a 5th Round pick for him. I don't believe it would make any sense to carry 4 QB's on this team. If Brady gets hurt Casell won't make a difference and honestly I'd rather O'Connell or Matt Guiterrez in there anyways. Let's be honest Cassel has looked awful, the only time we had hope for him was in his first season here in the preseason. Only thing he has going for him is that he is a friend of Brady's. Come the end of Camp, I don't believe Cassel will have his name on the roster that is unless either of the other QB's doesn't get hurt.

I don't see 4 QBs on roster as that big a stretch.

Granted our roster is tight up against the 53 man limit. But last year we kept Troy Brown on the roster all year out of respect and he saw the field for what - 3 plays?

I'd say it is much more likely for a PUP or IR of somebody or a Cassel trade; but you never know. we could end up with 4.

Actually, he spent over half the season on the PUP list, which means his salary counts, but he doesn't use up a roster spot.

The problem with the PUP/IR route is that you can't put someone on PUP if they practice at all, even in TC, and once you put a player on IR, he can't come off the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back