PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you really think Brady plays until 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady's done at 38 IMO ...about as long as Elway

No way do I see Brady at 40,I don't care what he says now,by 38 he'll be feeling every sack,every ache and pain and will be wanting to spend serious time with his boys.

Anyone here who is near or over 40 knows there is a physical difference when you are 35 and when you are near 40

Brady in top shape or not,we all start feeling the age progression soon after 35 and so will he.

I think Brady is playing hurt from a sack he took a while ago. His passes are a bit off their usual mark.

My impression of the guy is that you'll have to carry him off the field to get him to stop playing. That may or may not be a good thing at the time.

3 years +/- 1

This thought has been on my mind for the last two years. I wrote a recent post about the Jets game , and i didnt like the Tom Brady look when the cameras were focused on him while we were up 10 points ! The more they showed Tommy the more i thought he was ill,,but now i am begginning to worry that we a witnessing not the end but probably the last two years of the greatest QB ever to play the game. We are so lucky to witness this, and must just enjoy these last few years,,,,,i believe he will win one more Ring. I predict he plays only two more seasons after this. GO TOMMY. Abdul

The succession plan is likely going to make some of you finally appreciate what you've had and wish you'd been more careful what you wished for.

Exactly, I don't get this need for the endless speculation on the subject. When it happens, it'll happen, whether it's 3, 4, 5 or 6 years from now. He's still playing at a high level, still gives the team a great chance to win and if we take him at his word, is not even close to thinking about walking away.

Enjoy watching one of the all time greats while you still can because chances are overwelmimngly slim that you'll get a player of his caliber to succeed him. Is this such a front running, spoiled fan base that it can't handle a 4-3 record without dreaming of the day Brady and Belichick are gone? Like you said, be careful what you wish for, someday it will happen and the fan base will get smacked back to reality real quick.

Brady is surrounded by talent.

2 of the best Tight Ends in the league. The best slot WR in the league. A Pro Bowl RT and a 1st round LT. A good Running back group.

The only thing he's missing is a deep threat. A true #1 receiver.

The only thing he's missing is a great secondary that does not blow away all the hard work he put in to give the team a great lead.

If I were in his shoes, not only I'd look like a miserable bastard, but I'd probably be going ape5hit on that defense as well. :mad:

I think he'll play until either

a) he wins another SB or

b) he knows he can't win another SB.

I don't think a) will stop him. Remember this is a guy whose favorite ring is the next one. b) will be the decision maker. He won't play if he can't compete. But short of another catastrophic injury or some other catastrophy (Belichick himself suddenly retiring or the team somehow totally desintegrating talent wise) I don't see that happening for at least another 3-4 years and easily another 5. Manning is approaching 37 and signed through 40. He's 18 months older and has played 3 more seasons than Tom. Brady isn't going out first without a fight.

The only thing he's missing is a great secondary that does not blow away all the hard work he put in to give the team a great lead.

If I were in his shoes, not only I'd look like a miserable bastard, but I'd probably be going ape5hit on that defense as well. :mad:

No lead is safe with this secondary and the late game play calling on both O and D.

I'm not as bothered as some regarding Brady's demeanor, the cameras are on him constantly when he's not playing with the networks playing up that angle. Name another Patriot player whose face they do a close up on 50 times a game.

I'm a broken record on this topic, because, even though it infuriates some, I always say the same thing. So, answering the question:

1) I hope so. Or beyond.

2) I think there are four variables that could influence his decision at this point:

a) A Fourth Ring. Being so close and yet so far (after two near misses) from Bradshaw and Montana has got to be on his mind. My gut is that this is important to him and that he will try to stay around as long as he can if he thinks he has a chance to get one; like others, I don't think he'd announce his retirement the day he won it, though.

b) Stat Standings. I personally tend to downplay this one, but since returning from his injury, he's solidified his place among the game's all time greats. The bottom line is that he will be top ten all time in every major statistic by the end of his current contract.
TD's: He's already number five with 312. Favre is First with 508, but Tarkenton at Number Four is within close reach at 342. Marino is second at 420 and Peyton is currently Number Three at 413.
Passing Yards: Brady is Number 11 at 42,083. Fouts is Number Nine with 43,040 Yards, so he should pass that this season (Brees is already at Number 10 and climbing at 42,839). Moon is Number Five at 49,325. Favre is First at 71,838.
Completions: He's Number Ten with 3,583. Tarkenton is only about 100 ahead of him at 3,686. Brees is Number eight and climbing.
Pass Rating: Obviously to be downplayed because it is influenced by rule changes. Brady is Number Three at 96.4. Rodgers is Number One at 104.7 and Steve Young Number Two at 96.8.

c) Health. He's looking strong still, but with the Patriots in general and Brady in particular, you never know for sure. Only those closest to Brady can know what he feels or is thinking about intangibles like the long term impact in terms of head trauma of taking hits since High School. I tend to downplay anything he or those around him say publicly on this score.

d) I think whoever suggested that the "fun" factor is huge was right on the money. And, this, among all of the factors is the one about which those of us (i.e., all of us) who don't know him personally can only speculate. How he really feels about his football life in the context of his life with Gisele and his children and his options outside of the sport is unknown to us. He's famously quoted as saying things like that he "stared into the abyss" during his year out of the game and I take him at his word that leaving will eventually be very difficult for him. But he sure hasn't looked like he's having fun on the sidelines or in his post game press conferences recently. But, I have no more a way of knowing that that is true than those who would insist nothing has changed on that score.

So, despite the fact that the "Health" and "Fun" variables are essentially unknowable to us, I guess I'd add that all up and say that, barring a major injury, I think there's a 40% chance that he'd retire at the end of his current contract (2014 season); a (cumulative) 80% chance that he'll play until the season he begins at age 40 (2016 season) and an additional 20% chance that he'll play past that season.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I have said before that I think Brady will play until he's 40, but I will actually be worried that he won't if we get another SB win. It seems the quest for one more ring keeps him going rather than some age thing.

Hmmm. I have said before that I think Brady will play until he's 40, but I will actually be worried that he won't if we get another SB win. It seems the quest for one more ring keeps him going rather than some age thing.

And after 4 there would be nothing left...except 5? Imagine one for the thumb in less than the decades it took Pittsburgh to and all on your watch as QB?

Last edited:
And after 4 there would be nothing left...except 5? Image one for the thumb in less than the decades it took Pittsburgh to and all on your watch as QB?

From your lips to God's ears, Mo, but he's had two shots at another two and come up a silly catch and a missed (tough) catch short. He's already had more passes at the golden (i.e., SB) ring than all but Elway and Staubach and one can start to wonder when the laws of probability will catch up with him and Belichick. There are a lot of good to great young QB's and hungry teams around...and a lot of "lucky" breaks out there, good and bad...but I hope you're right.

Last edited:
After two straight SB losses, I think the third one is a charm :) I just hope Brady is still in the game before they get there again. :rolleyes:

In your late 30s you rapidly lose quickness, agility, and the ability to recover from injuries.

You can retain strength and endurance reasonably well, though, through age 40, and mental focus/decision making. It seems each of these are keys to his skills.

He has never relied on a great deal on quickness (except for a quick release) and agility (at least out-of-the-pocket agility), so we need to protect him from injury and I see no reason why he can't last that long.

Brady will likely play to, or perhaps a few years beyond 40 baring any major injuries. This is the new NFL, pocket QBS dont take nearly the beating that they used to and Brady knows how to move around in a pocket and duck to absorb the hit when he sees it coming. You can't compare QB's like young, Montana and Farve with Brady, Brees and Manning when it comes to how long they will last. This new batch of QB's will have a much longer shelf life in comparison thanks to these modern rules protecting them. Those older QB's basically retired due to conussions, not so much due to their skills seriously erroding. QB's are sacred targets and rarely get hit hard or in the head anymore.

Last edited:
In your late 30s you rapidly lose quickness, agility, and the ability to recover from injuries.

You can retain strength and endurance reasonably well, though, through age 40, and mental focus/decision making. It seems each of these are keys to his skills.

He has never relied on a great deal on quickness (except for a quick release) and agility (at least out-of-the-pocket agility), so we need to protect him from injury and I see no reason why he can't last that long.

I'd take an older QB who can read defenses better than the defenses themselves, over a rookie QB with an arm, but no good understanding of what he's facing.

An interesting corollary to this discussion is whether or not Brady will play his entire career with the Patriots.

When he does start to go downhill (which will happen eventually), will he demand a contract more than he's worth? If so, will BB cut him? Will Kraft overrule BB?

I'm torn. I'd love to see Brady finish out his career here. On the other hand, I also see the damage the Celtics did to themselves by holding onto the Original Big Three longer than they should have.

Last edited:
Is this the same MrNathanDrake who repeatedly starts threads about trading Wes Welker?

I'm just going to file this one under "being a contrarian for contrarian's sake".

Brady has repeatedly said how much he loves going through the grind with his teammates, and there's nothing else he'd rather be doing.

Brady will have to retire one day, but it wont be for a lack of love for the game or being 'bored'.

I don't buy the 'wear and tear' on the arm being due to # of passes in the game.

Brady throws many more passes during the week and even on the sideline and before the game.

What he throws in the game is a fraction of his total throws during the week.

Spot on
I sit behind the Pats bench and watch TFB warming up while the D is on field. I confess that at the Jets game I began to get concerned that he would wear out his arm warming up with the long protracted Jets drives. Threw forever as Jets made 3rd down after 3rd down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft