PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you really think Brady plays until 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't.

Kurt Warner was recently on NFL Network talking about why he retired. He said he knew he could still play at a high level.... but he wasn't having fun anymore. He still loved playing, but he dreaded the Monday-to-Saturday grind before game day. The 60 minutes of game time on Sundays didn't outweigh the dreadful week leading up to it.

I can't help but think Brady is starting to get close to that same way. He looks bored out there. He looks unmotivated and content at times. Like he's just going through the motions. His demeanour even when the team is winning is a bit sad to see. It doesn't look like his hearts in it anymore. He isn't that same hungry kid who won 3 SuperBowls. Many will disagree, but thats my observation.

I think he has another 3 years at most. And that's in a best case scenario if he doesn't suffer any bad injuries.

Last edited:
I don't.

Kurt Warner was recently on NFL Network talking about why he retired. He said he knew he could still play at a high level.... but he wasn't having fun anymore. He still loved playing, but he dreaded the Monday-to-Saturday grind before game day.

I can't help but think Brady is starting to get close to that same way. He looks bored out there. He looks unmotivated and disinterested at times. His demeanour even when the team is winning is a bit sad to see. It doesn't look like his hearts in it anymore. Many will disagree, but thats my observation.

I think he has another 3 years at most. And that's in a best case scenario if he doesn't suffer any bad injuries.

Why would he have fun if the offense routinely stalls and becomes ineffective? If BB surrounds him with enough talent that allows him to put up points and win I think he'll enjoy himself a lot more and be more likely to keep playing.

^ Exactly. Winning does does wonders, as does a well executed ass whooping.

Sent from my GT-P7500M using Tapatalk 2

Very, VERY highly unlikely. Not everyone is Brett Favre.

Why would he have fun if the offense routinely stalls and becomes ineffective? If BB surrounds him with enough talent that allows him to put up points and win I think he'll enjoy himself a lot more and be more likely to keep playing.

Brady is surrounded by talent.

2 of the best Tight Ends in the league. The best slot WR in the league. A Pro Bowl RT and a 1st round LT. A good Running back group.

The only thing he's missing is a deep threat. A true #1 receiver.

I think it's easy to want to keep going when you're lighting up defenses, and blowing teams out en route to a 12 win season every year.

I can't help but think Belichick is starting to get close to that same way. He looks bored out there. He looks unmotivated and content at times. Like he's just going through the motions. His demeanour even when the team is winning is a bit sad to see. It doesn't look like his hearts in it anymore. He isn't that same hungry kid who won 3 SuperBowls. Many will disagree, but thats my observation.

See how silly this is?

This will all depend on Mallett, his progression and the coaches' opinions on him. I've read reports early in the year that Bill is super high on Mallett, and while he performed subpar in preseason, they didn't want to expose his true talents to the rest of the league.

What that says to me is that Bill is banking on Mallett being THE GUY once Brady's reign is over. His contract runs through 2014. Mallett would have been on the team for about 4 years once Brady's contract expires. If Mallett is the guy, I don't see any way that Bill can convince him to sign another deal to sit behind Brady for an even longer period of time. If it gets to that point, they will have to trade him.

Belichick likes having old QBs out there.

Don't forget Flutie and Testaverde. Don't underestimate the premium BB puts on experience.

I can see Brady out there until he's 40.

We're talking 4 more seasons. That's not a stretch by any means.

He will likely lose his sharpness by then, but he will still be performing at an optimal level. Don't forget that Elway went out at age 39.

Belichick likes having old QBs out there.

Brady's retirement isn't Belichicks choice. I'm sure BB would love to have Brady around as long as he can, but if Brady decides to hang it up in 2 or 3 years theres nothing Belichick could do about that.

....fifty....

This will all depend on Mallett, his progression and the coaches' opinions on him. I've read reports early in the year that Bill is super high on Mallett, and while he performed subpar in preseason, they didn't want to expose his true talents to the rest of the league.

What that says to me is that Bill is banking on Mallett being THE GUY once Brady's reign is over. His contract runs through 2014. Mallett would have been on the team for about 4 years once Brady's contract expires. If Mallett is the guy, I don't see any way that Bill can convince him to sign another deal to sit behind Brady for an even longer period of time. If it gets to that point, they will have to trade him.
I could live with a Montana to Young type of scenario :D.

not saying Mallet would be like young, but more in one HoF QB to another....talent

Last edited:
i think he could easily play til he's 40. don't forget that he missed two seasons in his 13 yrs in the league.

Not sure where all the doubt is coming from.. he's 35 and doesn't look like he's slowing down at all. Most QBs started playing worse around 32, and he's had some of his best seasons since then. Things might change in the next few years, but I see no reason to doubt him at this point

Last edited:
Still looks pretty good to me...we have at least another 3 years to watch TB. Also, Trent Dilfer tweeted this today:

TDESPN Trent Dilfer
#filmstudy #nextlevel Patriots lead league with 18 drops. Had 18 drops all of last regular season.

If that number would to revert to form a little bit, I think this offense will become even more effective...I don't think TB will be satisfied until he wins other title.

Still looks pretty good to me...we have at least another 3 years to watch TB. Also, Trent Dilfer tweeted this today:

If that number would to revert to form a little bit, I think this offense will become even more effective...I don't think TB will be satisfied until he wins other title.

I agree our deep threat has not been that good since Moss. A lot of drops all around recently. I've also noticed TB not as enthused as much, I was thinking maybe he wasn't feeling well. As much as I might get on TB's case occasionally (everyone for that matter), I love this team and especially TB and BB. Hope they are here as long as possible

Last edited:
Brady is surrounded by talent.

2 of the best Tight Ends in the league. The best slot WR in the league. A Pro Bowl RT and a 1st round LT. A good Running back group.

The only thing he's missing is a deep threat. A true #1 receiver.

He's surrounded by talent yet we've had a lot of stalling lately, especially late in games. A true #1 receiver (my latest binkie is Terrence Williams from Baylor) would do wonders for the offense but I'd also like another TE and some extra beef on the O-line.

Do that and TFB will have an ear to ear grin for years to come.

Everyone is different, and it's really impossible to predict. I think the bigger question is, if he plays until he's 40 or beyond, will it still be Brady as the Brady we know? Can he maintain that high level of play, or something close to it?

Not impossible, but unlikely.

Think he will play to 41 yr old

Brady's fire and dedication doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The question is whether his leg strength is going to stick around over the next 4-5 years. You can already see it in some of his longer throws. They just aren't as consistent as they used to be a few years ago. He still has mad zip on his short to intermediate throws and that can keep you in this league a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes