PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you really think Brady plays until 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think so.

I think he can play until he's like... 42.

Right now, he just needs time to get over whatever is affecting him.

Criminy jeepers, I hope not........

Barring any major injuries (GOD FORBID), yes. Yes, he will play as long as he wants to.

Brady's fire and dedication doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The question is whether his leg strength is going to stick around over the next 4-5 years. You can already see it in some of his longer throws. They just aren't as consistent as they used to be a few years ago. He still has mad zip on his short to intermediate throws and that can keep you in this league a long time.

I knew Brady was good, but Dang, I didnt know the dude threw with this leg.

If Brady wants to play, not even Bill can trade him.

This is the truth. Bill's risks tarnishing his legacy if he gets rid of Brady and drops and does anything but 10-5 and better.

Besides, if Elway could win Superbowls in his high 30s, nothing can stop Brady from doing the same.

I think if Brady dropped a 'Bill, if I don't get a stud #1, I'm gonna get tired of this game. knowwhatimsaying?' we'll see a true #1.

Last edited:
If Brady wants to play, not even Bill can trade him.

This is the truth. Bill's risks tarnishing his legacy if he gets rid of Brady and drops and does anything but 10-5 and better.

Besides, if Elway could win Superbowls in his high 30s, nothing can stop Brady from doing the same.

I think if Brady dropped a 'Bill, if I don't get a stud #1, I'm gonna get tired of this game. knowwhatimsaying?' we'll see a true #1.

I agree that Brady plays as long as we wants. Bill runs this team but Kraft is a business man and he knows that Brady is the face of this team. He aint going any where.

Another thing to think about....

Throwing 56 passes in 1 game at this age certainly isn't helping the wear and tear on his arm.

I don't buy the 'wear and tear' on the arm being due to # of passes in the game.

Brady throws many more passes during the week and even on the sideline and before the game.

What he throws in the game is a fraction of his total throws during the week.

Part of me hopes not. That's a long time for a player in the league. I'd like to think a succession plan would be in place and Brady can go out on the top of his game, hopefully with a Lombardi as his parting gift.

Last edited:
About 6 or 7 years ago, I thought Brady would one day soon abruptly quit the game and move on to something -- politics, show biz, who knows what.

But the last few years watching the guy and listening to him, his love of the game is clear. Remember this is a guy who recently said "after football is the abyss." This from a guy who's married to one of the top models in the world. ... He keeps himself very fit, not in an overmuscled Tebow sort of way, but more like Bruschi-esque flexibility. Also, don't forget -- he had a year off mid-career. Gotta think that helps in the longterm as far as wear and tear.

Anything can happen, of course, but I'm voting yes.

The succession plan is likely going to make some of you finally appreciate what you've had and wish you'd been more careful what you wished for.

Tom will continue to play as long as he is physically able to and doesn't burn out mentally due to the pressure he plays under here. He's not Kurt Warner. More like Peyton Manning. Both guys lost a year to injury and got a taste of what life without the game would be like. Neither is remotely prepared to walk away any time soon unless injury dictates they have no alternative. Both are cerebral students of the game and driven to meet competitive challenges. The same things that grind most guys down (film study, attention to detail, committment to training, attending training camp...actually appeal to them. Most guys are more like Drew and Favre were, guys who love to play on Sunday but really resent the demands and the practice/preparation and the physical grind, in and out of season. Some like Brett just want to have fun playing the game - aka slingin' it on Sunday. For guys like Brady and Manning the fun is derived from doing what it takes mentally and physically preparing to win and then achieving the goal. Each relies as much on the space between their ears and maintaining mechanical/technical soundness as they do their arm strength or legs/foot speed.

So yeah, I see Tom playing until he's 39-40 and maybe even a year or two longer depending on circumstances largely beyond his control (injuries).

Last edited:
Why would he have fun if the offense routinely stalls and becomes ineffective? If BB surrounds him with enough talent that allows him to put up points and win I think he'll enjoy himself a lot more and be more likely to keep playing.

Yes that offense that is ranked #1 in points, yards and first downs is so ineffective and depressing.
Seriously where do people get this stuff from?

Brady has been proving the impossible possible for a long time, but still I would lean towards no. Sounds too good to be true.

Very, VERY highly unlikely. Not everyone is Brett Favre.

Even Brett Favre shouldn't have done what Brett Favre did, but Brett Favre spent some 5+ years getting killed every game and becoming addicted to pain killers. So far, Brady hasn't taken that kind of abuse. Favre was not close to being the student of the game Brady and Manning are.

The standard wear and tear of being so exposed as a quarterback will eventually take its toll, but there won't be a point where he isn't in it mentally. That part is a given.

Last edited:
Yes that offense that is ranked #1 in points, yards and first downs is so ineffective and depressing.
Seriously where do people get this stuff from?

Probabaly from Brady's facial expressions and body language. I dont think he cares how his offense ranks compares to other teams, I think he wants the offensive unit to function like he thinks they should function, that and he wants to win more rings. If he's not getting the gratification he wants then retirement will look more and more attractive.

Last edited:
One thing I'm sure of is if Brady plays when he's 40, I hope he doesn't take a beating like Favre in his last year in Minnesota. That wasn't pretty to look at. Without injuries (knock on wood), I can see Brady play until he's 40. If he does, I think when he retires, BB will go with him. Brady still has that drive in him to play a few more years. He's also one of the players that takes the most care of his body (training, eating right) so he definately can go a long way.

I'm really enjoying the last years of TB12. Pure eye candy to watch him play. It could be a really long time before we see that kind of dominance again, if we ever do.

I think Brady plays for as long as he can. Addiction is a funny thing and I think he is a little addicted to football. I mean its not like he has to play now.

I think he'll play until either

a) he wins another SB or

b) he knows he can't win another SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back