PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you really think Brady plays until 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy the 'wear and tear' on the arm being due to # of passes in the game.

Brady throws many more passes during the week and even on the sideline and before the game.

What he throws in the game is a fraction of his total throws during the week.

Bingo.

And, BTW, this is why I think (though no one else has suggested it) that Peyton went to Denver over his other options. He gets to make those thousands of practice throws "at altitude" where the strain on both his arm and, probably more importantly, neck is materially reduced.

I don't.

Kurt Warner was recently on NFL Network talking about why he retired. He said he knew he could still play at a high level.... but he wasn't having fun anymore. He still loved playing, but he dreaded the Monday-to-Saturday grind before game day. The 60 minutes of game time on Sundays didn't outweigh the dreadful week leading up to it.

I can't help but think Brady is starting to get close to that same way. He looks bored out there. He looks unmotivated and content at times. Like he's just going through the motions. His demeanour even when the team is winning is a bit sad to see. It doesn't look like his hearts in it anymore. He isn't that same hungry kid who won 3 SuperBowls. Many will disagree, but thats my observation.

I think he has another 3 years at most. And that's in a best case scenario if he doesn't suffer any bad injuries.

- Will TB still have passion for the game? He's got a wife and kids, will he lose his fire to compete that is critical for playing at this level. Doesn't his family live outside the greater Boston area?
- Will he avoid injury? As we approach 40, you could retain mental agility and ability to throw on target. But there is no way around that the body simply doesn't bounce back from injury like it does when you are in your 20's.
- Will TB want X dollars per year but BB and staff will not commit at that $$$ level. Would TB just retire or would he see what he can do with another team?
- Will there simply be a noticeable drop off in his play that will make BB and staff start thinking away from TB? Or....
- Will he simply get outplayed in one of the upcoming preseaons by Mallard or Player X? I know it is unthinkable, however, the argument can be made that TB would have unseated DB in the 2002 preseason.....and at the time it was unthinkable. ((I don't see this as likely but it is possible)).
- Unlisted reason

IMHO, right now TB will play as long as he can. He still has the fire, the skills and the situation that clearly motivates him to win. If he retains those characteristics to a reasonable degree and avoids injury, he will definitely be playing with the Patriots at age 40 (he likes it here, likes BB and likes Kraft. BB likes TB and Kraft likes TB. I's hard to imagine a break up if TB still can play to a high degree). The single (unlikely) exception is he just gets outplayed by another (that is something, whether he likes you or not, that strikes deep at the core of BB).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News