PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you expect more penalties on the Pats this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has gotten to where defensive backs have to sit back and let receivers catch the ball before trying to do anything. Now you'll be seeing mediocre quarterbacks with 70-percent completion percentage and scores like 44-38 being commonplace. I blame fantasy football for this frustrating overemphasis on offense. It's becoming basketball in pads.

It has gotten to where defensive backs have to sit back and let receivers catch the ball before trying to do anything. Now you'll be seeing mediocre quarterbacks with 70-percent completion percentage and scores like 44-38 being commonplace. I blame fantasy football for this frustrating overemphasis on offense. It's becoming basketball in pads.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you cater to a star player and to the caual fan. You get fighting on the way out in hockey, people looking the other way at obviously 'roided up players in baseball, the near-elimination of traveling calls in the NBA, and a myriad of pro-offense rules in football.

Penalties in the secondary should stay about the same. While it used to be because the secondary got torched a lot and had to commit PI to prevent a touchdown, now they'll get called just for being too physical at times.

I expect them to be the same or less, we have a lot of smart folks in the d backfield who know what they can and cannot get away with...

I would expect a higher rate on less experienced D backfields...

Can't make contact with receivers at all no matter how minimal or it's a flag? Have Boyce/Slater run go routes every down - lob it to them and get cheap 30 yard+ penalties multiple times a game. Just like how the Ravens do with Smith.

Added bonus if either of them actually bring in some of the passes.

Bonus question to Win the thread: Predict the new 2014 penalty that will be called on the Patriots & only on the Patriots.
The New England Patriots have taken the field! Goodell says throw the flag! Automatic forfeit!
penalty flag.jpg

Revis is glued to the receivers so far in camp. Skill will always trump a chump. If anything, I expect flags to go down going from Talib to Revis.

I do believe Manning begged for a sword after the rolfstomping delivered by the hawks. But I doubt he realized it was a double edged sword.

RFID

+

The New England Patriots have taken the field! Goodell says throw the flag! Automatic forfeit!
View attachment 6751

=

Greatest scandal of the 2010s...

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS USED UNAUTHORIZED FREQUENCY IN DATA TRANSMISSIONGATE

"Skip, this could be the worst cheating scandal in the history of professional sports. What this does is allow the Patriots to know the innermost thoughts of opposing teams..." blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Maybe. Browner hits pretty clean a lot of the time but he's also drawn some flags. I think it can be pretty beneficial, though, to absolutely lay someone the hell out at the cost of 15 yards in the 1st quarter. I'll trade 15 yards on a play for four quarters of opposing WR's having a fearful look in their eye as they wet their pants on every route.

Right? There's a side to all this "Legion of Boom" stuff that was not about just the technical virtuosity of denying the aerial game to other teams... it was also about making them pay if they DID complete a pass.

Of course, for plucky lil Seattle, that's one thing. If the big bad Patriots intimidate another team, the competition committee meets...

If the refs hold true to this "emphasis" then we will see more penalties across the league, so it follows we would see more against the Patriots.

I just hope they have the guts to hold true to their "emphasis" against offensive pass interference. Everyone in here paranoid that this is all one big scheme to help the Broncos are conveniently ignoring that point. If the referees in this league ever actually called offensive pass interference, it would probably hurt Denver more than any one other single team in the league.

The fundamental problem with this PI emphasis, both offensive & defensive, is that it's unavoidably subjective no matter how many guidelines are promulgated. End result is that more subjective calls will be made and given the unavoidable % of "wrong" subjective interpretations, there will be more legitimately bad calls made.

The fundamental problem with this PI emphasis, both offensive & defensive, is that it's unavoidably subjective no matter how many guidelines are promulgated.
I agree with this 100%
The end result is that more subjective calls will be made and given the unavoidable % of "wrong" subjective interpretations, there will be more legitimately bad calls made.
This is where I disagree. The referee makes a call on every single play. Some (most) plays he calls legal, some he calls illegal and throws the flag. A rules emphasis may lead to more flags, but there won't be more calls.

Just because a ref leaves his flag in his pocket doesn't mean he made the right call. If you don't believe me, see R. Gronkowski, Patriots at Panthers, 2013. (And yes I realize that in that case the flag was thrown but as we all know it was picked up.) There was (technically) no flag on that play, but you won't find terribly many in here saying it wasn't a legitimately bad call.

I do, but I think it'll be of little real impact on how the season unfolds. No matter the emphasis on rules or outright rule changes, the Pats consistently seem to be at the lower end of total penalties. They're a disciplined bunch year in and year out.

Darrelle Revis has 4 DPI calls against him, and 3 defensive holding...in his career! (95 games), and only 1 penalty accepted of any type last year with TB.

By comparison (2013-14 season):
Richard Sherman - 12 total penalties (5 DPI, 2 holds)
Joe Haden - 8 (3/2)
Patrick Peterson - 4 (2/1)
Aqib Talib - 6 (1/4)

Hopefully, he'll keep this trend.

Darrelle Revis has 4 DPI calls against him, and 3 defensive holding...in his career! (95 games), and only 1 penalty accepted of any type last year with TB.

By comparison:
Joe Haden - 8 (3/2)
Aqib Talib - 6 (1/4)

That's so impressive, especially considering a) how much man-to-man he played in NY and b) the elite receivers he has had to face. One could argue that he's had the second hardest job in the world to do aside from QB over the years. Reiss and other writers have said that the real difference between Revis and just about any other CB out there is that Revis is never out of position. They say he is just always in the right place. I have heard that he has guessed wrong a few times in practice, but he has the athleticism to recover and still be in position to make a play by the time the ball arrives.

I got into a heat discussion with a friend at work just yesterday (never realized how much football I talk on a day in, day out basis) and he is swept up in the Sherman hype. I don't buy it. There's no doubt in my mind that he's among the best. It would be asinine to proclaim not. However, Revis is still the best in the game, and I'd be saying that even had NE not signed him. You hear the adage that sports is a "what have you done for me lately" thing, and a little of that seems to be at play since he missed so much of two seasons ago with the ACL and then spent last year in a scheme that didn't fit his talent while recovering from said ACL tear. Two years in relative obscurity and people forget that the man was not only being considered the best CB in the game, but he was being talked about as legitimately the best defensive PLAYER in the game. As a CB!:eek:

By comparison (2013-14 season):
Joe Haden - 8 (3/2)
Aqib Talib - 6 (1/4)

Let's hold onto this metric and see if his tenure in New England yields different results. :)

And I don't think they'll be telling him to hold/interfere more as a Patriot. That ain't what I'm getting at.

Reiss thoughts

Q: Hi Mike, regarding the NFL position that this year will be more strict in [enforcing] the defensive holding penalty, I think this will affect the play of Brandon Browner and Darrelle Revis in a negative way because jamming WRs at the line is a centerpiece of both DBs. Thoughts? -- Memo A. (Mexico)

A: Memo, I don't think it will have a huge impact on Revis as much as Browner. Some folks in Seattle have pointed out that Browner was benched at one point last year and was known to clutch and grab beyond the allowed 5-yard zone at times because he doesn't move as fluidly as a smaller corner. So I think it's definitely something to keep on the radar to see how it affects his style of play. I read with interest how officials threw quite a few penalty flags in Falcons-Titans joint practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST