PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats have a "Playmaker" on their D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying any of these players played together. I'm just stating there seemed to always be a transition from one group of playmakers to the next.

As for poking fun at DaBruinz and JackBauer. I only did this because they originally got involved in this post by criticizing the structure of my post vs. the content. If I thought proper structure was the purpose of this forum, I would have made an effort to break out the original post into paragraphs. It really irritates me to see these members that choose to critique the grammatical quality of posts instead of just addressing the content. How egotistical do you have to be to attempt to point out structural, grammatical or any type of typing errors in the posts of a Patriots fan forum.

Dude, it shouldn't be beyond the powers of anyone typing here to incorporate the use of the return/enter button into their typing arsenal. When dealing with computer screens, and most writing, short paragraphs with a space between them make things much easier on the readers. Sometimes, long paragraphs are called for. Often, as in the case of your O.P., they are not.

Last edited:
Uh, no.

I only tossed that criticism in your face after you chose to disregard DB's post based on his handle.

Interesting. I thought he chose to disregard that post based on DaBruinz's prior posting history, rather than his handle. That's what I often do.

I agree 100%! Mayo is JAG. No makes zero big plays, period. Compare his stats (sepecially big plays like INT, FF, TFL, PD, etc) to Willis in San Fran and consider that Willis does not play behind a stud like Wilfork.

OK, so Jerod Mayo isn't as good as Patrick Willis. I'm glad you said so, none of us knew.

And considering where they were drafted in the first round of their respective drafts, I think a Wilis and Mayo compariosn makes perfect sense.
So what you're saying is that when using a top 10 pick on a middle linebacker, he better be as good as the best middle linebacker in the NFL?

I am not saying any of these players played together. I'm just stating there seemed to always be a transition from one group of playmakers to the next.

As for poking fun at DaBruinz and JackBauer. I only did this because they originally got involved in this post by criticizing the structure of my post vs. the content. If I thought proper structure was the purpose of this forum, I would have made an effort to break out the original post into paragraphs. It really irritates me to see these members that choose to critique the grammatical quality of posts instead of just addressing the content. How egotistical do you have to be to attempt to point out structural, grammatical or any type of typing errors in the posts of a Patriots fan forum.

But if you are not saying that they played together, then holes can easily be poked in the argument. Has Bodden not proven himself at least the equal as a playmaker as Tyrone Poole or Otis Smith? Poole had one season with more than 3 picks, and two seasons with more than 2. Granted, he had 6 in his marvelous 2003 campaign, a season that was pure luck in the sense that they had the entire backfield stay healthy all year long until Rodney broke his arm in the Super Bowl. Smith had a brilliant 5 pick season in 01, with 2 TDs. Bodden has produced a 6 Int and a 5 Int season in the past 3 years alone.

I understand that the grass is always greener when looking back at trophy seasons, but when you look around at the defense the Pats have now, I think inexperience is more of a concern than big plays for me. Meriweather has shown lots of big play ability in his career. McCourty has big play ability on defense and special teams. Spikes made a lot of them at Florida. Banta-Cain had a big season just last year. Chung has the makings of a real intimidating safety in the mold of Rodney Harrison.

This defense has a lot of question marks, to be sure, but I would argue that the defense does not need to be as good as it was in 03 and 04, when it was the league's best, to have a great season.

You don't know what you got till it's gone.

Remember when this D had
Willie McGinnest
Teddy Bruschi
Rodney Harrison
Ty Law
Mike Vrabel
Richard Seymour (back when he put in the effort)
Assante Samual

All playmakers who could come up with huge plays at the most critical times

We were stacked and didn't even realize it.

It really irritates me to see these members that choose to critique the grammatical quality of posts instead of just addressing the content. How egotistical do you have to be to attempt to point out structural, grammatical or any type of typing errors in the posts of a Patriots fan forum.

The paragraph exists for a reason. And being correct is not the same as being egotistical. Isn't it a lot more egotistical to write WALLOFTEXTLOLLOL and not care about communicating clearly and meaningfully to one's readers, and to then whinge and fart when they give you good advice about better communicating your points? I would think so.

And one of the great joys in life is to watch a guy use "logic" to make "arguments" when it is clear from what he is saying or writing that he doesn't have the least idea what these things mean or how to use them. What a joy that the internet and patsfans.com exist to share this treasure with all of us!

You don't know what you got till it's gone.

Remember when this D had
Willie McGinnest
Teddy Bruschi
Rodney Harrison
Ty Law
Mike Vrabel
Richard Seymour (back when he put in the effort)
Assante Samual

All playmakers who could come up with huge plays at the most critical times

We were stacked and didn't even realize it.

I'm pretty sure most of us realized it. When we, you know, won the Super Bowl and all.

Do you post with the intent of other people reading what you wrote? If you do then you should have the common courtesy to take the extra milliseconds it takes to separate your paragraphs so that it is easier to read. Everyone will either ignore or be annoyed by your post in its current form.

The paragraph exists for a reason. And being correct is not the same as being egotistical. Isn't it a lot more egotistical to write WALLOFTEXTLOLLOL and not care about communicating clearly and meaningfully to one's readers, and to then whinge and fart when they give you good advice about better communicating your points? I would think so.

And one of the great joys in life is to watch a guy use "logic" to make "arguments" when it is clear from what he is saying or writing that he doesn't have the least idea what these things mean or how to use them. What a joy that the internet and patsfans.com exist to share this treasure with all of us!
And you're the same guy who defended Pierre Woods. Hows that working out for you?

And considering where they were drafted in the first round of their respective drafts, I think a Wilis and Mayo compariosn makes perfect sense.

Different years, different people, different work habits, different options in their respective drafts - these are all good reason why comparing draft picks and draft position doesn't make a lot of sense. For some bizarre reason (ESPN, contracts?) people fetishize top 10 picks, but draft position doesn't really mean a whole lot, especially with this team's philosophy on drafting in the first round (low risk players versus high upside and high risk players). Ty Warren was 13th overall and he is solid but not spectacular.

If Mayo at 10 has a similar career to Warren then it's a decent pick. He may not make highlight reels but I think most of us are smart enough to realize that highlights don't win football games.

As of right now? No, they don't really have any IMO. Meriweather's on the cusp, but to make the next step someone out of Mayo, McCourty, Spikes, Chung need to make that step.

You're a sore loser buddy. Why can't you just admit you were wrong on so many levels. I've already had a couple of apologies from people that defended Mr. Woods.

Wait, so you bring up a year old discussion that I don't even remember having with you about a guy pats fans wanted to succeed? Trolly trolly mc trolly. Bro.

Wait, so you bring up a year old discussion that I don't even remember having with you about a guy pats fans wanted to succeed? Trolly trolly mc trolly. Bro.
Because you hardly post on here anymore and just decided to come out of the wordwork and criticize someone.

"....a guy Pats fans wanted to succeed?"

Nice cop out.

Do you post with the intent of other people reading what you wrote? If you do then you should have the common courtesy to take the extra milliseconds it takes to separate your paragraphs so that it is easier to read. Everyone will either ignore or be annoyed by your post in its current form.

You speak for everyone? I was unaware of that. I apologize. I love when people make arguments under the premise of "everyone" believes a certain way. You should be in politics my man. Here's a hint, next time you see my post, go ahead and ignore it. Problem solved.

Semi-bold prediction, our biggest play maker on d is going to be Chung.

You speak for everyone? I was unaware of that. I apologize. I love when people make arguments under the premise of "everyone" believes a certain way. You should be in politics my man. Here's a hint, next time you see my post, go ahead and ignore it. Problem solved.

Your arrogance is ridiculous, and believe me ignoring your stupidity will not be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News