PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Randy Starks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyto3690

Banned
Reaction score
Has not been getting nearly enough love.

Dolphins are reported to be letting him go due to their depth there. He isn't flashy but he can play as a 43 DT and 5tech 34 DE. Also can play some power left end which Belichick loves. I have no idea what he's asking for, but he's great against the run and is an upgrade as a pass rusher.

Would be a textbook no-name veteran coming (with a possible paycut) to play for a championship team and being a quality starter for us. Isn't going to give us 10 sacks or anything but he'd be a great addition for us.

Isn't he one of the players that thought it was unfair the pats were running the same play again and again?

Dolphins are reported to be letting him go due to their depth there. He isn't flashy but he can play as a 43 DT and 5tech 34 DE. Also can play some power left end which Belichick loves. I have no idea what he's asking for, but he's great against the run and is an upgrade as a pass rusher.

Would be a textbook no-name veteran coming (with a possible paycut) to play for a championship team and being a quality starter for us. Isn't going to give us 10 sacks or anything but he'd be a great addition for us.

Starks should be able to cash in at $5m or so per year, IMO. Although he would be a fine addition, his price tag is probably too high. Dolphins have loads of cap space, but seem to be willing to let him walk.

Many Dolphin fans would say he is their best player on defense.

Isn't he one of the players that thought it was unfair the pats were running the same play again and again?

No, Starks is a beast. That was Tony McDaniel who said that.

Thinking about it, if we sign Starks that could force McDaniel to start for them. That' be a double whammie if I've ever seen one!! :singing:

No thanks, we have more DL than have no hope of getting near a QB than we need already.

he would be a huge improvement over anyne not named wilfork.......jury still out on armstead, though

Starks has 32.5 career sacks--not bad for a DT.

Yes, but that's not really representative of his current level of play. Shaun Ellis got a boatload of sacks in his career too, didn't look like it when we signed him. I'd rather spend $8 mil on a DT/DE who can have a major impact on games than $5 mil on a player who is not really capable of collapsing the pocket at this stage of his career.

Starks has 32.5 career sacks--not bad for a DT.

He has been a 34 DE most of his career. 32.5 in 9 seasons is indicative of a guy who can't rush the passer. Also pass rushing is more than a sack number.
If this were the NFL in 2002, and we needed a 34 DE, sure, but this team needs someone who can beat his man consistently as a pass rusher and put pressure on the QB, in fact it need a few of them.

He has been a 34 DE most of his career. 32.5 in 9 seasons is indicative of a guy who can't rush the passer. Also pass rushing is more than a sack number.
If this were the NFL in 2002, and we needed a 34 DE, sure, but this team needs someone who can beat his man consistently as a pass rusher and put pressure on the QB, in fact it need a few of them.

As per your usual, an uninformed statement delivered with great authority. Starks has played 6 of his 9 years as a DT, and was a disruptive penetrator in that role.

Pryor (should be healthy finally) and Armstead should also be able to fit the interior rush role, but I would like to see a Starks or similar brought in for insurance.

No, Starks is a beast. That was Tony McDaniel who said that.

Thinking about it, if we sign Starks that could force McDaniel to start for them. That' be a double whammie if I've ever seen one!! :singing:

Randy Starks, McDaniel’s defensive linemate, agreed, though he didn’t seem to blame the Patriots for doing what they did.

“It is disrespectful, but you’ve got to stop it,” Starks told Biggane.
Dolphins Players Feel Patriots’ Strategy Was ‘Disrespectful’ « CBS Boston

I'm pretty sure the Dolphins played a 43 base up until only 2 years ago during his career. Even if that were true, 34 DEs rarely have great sack numbers. Seymour is one of the greatest 34 DEs ever and only has what, 50 sacks?

Unless you play in the Bum Phillips 34 scheme, you are never going to get gaudy stats out of your 5 techs. And even then it takes a complete freak of nature like Watt to have a GOAT season to have great numbers.

Going by sack numbers for a 5tech is like pointing to a CB's tackles as an indicator of greatness.

Starks would be a massive upgrade over Love, and isn't going to cost franchise money like Melton and co. would- those guys are all pipe dreams. I mean Belichick really wanted Red Bryant and he's about as one dimensional as a run stuffer and not pass rusher as you can possibly get.

As per your usual, an uninformed statement delivered with great authority. Starks has played 6 of his 9 years as a DT, and was a disruptive penetrator in that role.
He is not a pass rusher.

Pryor (should be healthy finally)
Based on what? He hasn't neem healthy in years. And if he miraculously is, what would you expect?

and Armstead should also be able to fit the interior rush role, but I would like to see a Starks or similar brought in for insurance.

Starks will cost more than insurance, and really isn't what we need, IMO. Love or Deaderick can do all he does at a similar level, and he can't do what they lack. I want a pass rush.

I'm pretty sure the Dolphins played a 43 base up until only 2 years ago during his career. Even if that were true, 34 DEs rarely have great sack numbers. Seymour is one of the greatest 34 DEs ever and only has what, 50 sacks?

Unless you play in the Bum Phillips 34 scheme, you are never going to get gaudy stats out of your 5 techs. And even then it takes a complete freak of nature like Watt to have a GOAT season to have great numbers.

Going by sack numbers for a 5tech is like pointing to a CB's tackles as an indicator of greatness.

Starks would be a massive upgrade over Love, and isn't going to cost franchise money like Melton and co. would- those guys are all pipe dreams. I mean Belichick really wanted Red Bryant and he's about as one dimensional as a run stuffer and not pass rusher as you can possibly get.

Whether he is playing in a 34 or 43, he lacks pass rush skills. I am looking for a better pass rush. Starks won't help it.

Whether he is playing in a 34 or 43, he lacks pass rush skills. I am looking for a better pass rush. Starks won't help it.

Yep. And seeing how Red Bryant's season went, Belichick was quite misguided on that one and we are fortunate Seattle robbed us of the opportunity to screw it up.

I'm sorry, but we live in the real world with a salary cap.

DTs who can stuff the run and offer great pass rush are way out of our budget.

Yep. And seeing how Red Bryant's season went, Belichick was quite misguided on that one and we are fortunate Seattle robbed us of the opportunity to screw it up.

Seriously? Bryant had a phenomenal season this year and was one of the main reasons Seattles defense was so good. The Patriots lost against the Seahawks because it was like running into a brick wall wherever Bryant was lined up and their DL in general minus Irvin.

I'm sorry, but we live in the real world with a salary cap.

DTs who can stuff the run and offer great pass rush are way out of our budget.
But we need a pass rush MUCH more than a run stopping DT.

Budget isnt a reason to spend a bunch of moeny on a guy who doesnt fill an important need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe