PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Disgusted with WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
And $9 million in cap room that the Patriots don't come close to having.

Not to mention when Jets traded for him they had between $40-50 million in cap space.

I am pretty sure you will get the comment of Pats would have had him take a pay cut or restructure his deal. And not caring that it takes two sides to re-do a deal.

It is so annoying when people say they could have gotten him for a 5th without ever acknowledging the cap implications.

When Marcus Cannon makes what he does its time to adjust some players and shuffle things around.
Lafell shouldnt be on this roster for anything more than 1 mill a year.
Cannon
Lafell
Blount
Chandler
Should all be off the cap next season.
Here are players we should go after next season.
Antonio Gates

Agreed.

If I was their wideout coach I would teach them that even if they can't get to the ball, TRY to MAKE A PLAY on the ball.

The Great One always said you miss 100% of the shots you don't take....ergo take the shot

When Marcus Cannon makes what he does its time to adjust some players and shuffle things around.
Cannon
Lafell
Blount
Chandler
Antonio Gates

The only free agents I could see them making a play for next year are going to be bargain bin types. They might gamble on Brian Quick recovering, for instance. Mohamed Sanu went to Rutgers, so he'll be in play.

And $9 million in cap room that the Patriots don't come close to having.
The people that constantly scream for us to get a top end tall WR never seems to understand the salary cap, or how draft spots work. Sure. It would be great to have a Julio Jones. But we could never move that far in the draft. There's also inflation in what top WRs are payed. I think that they have reached a point, atleast for now, where they are paid more than they are worth to a team.

The WR situation is unfortunate, but I certainly believed that we had a strong group going into training camp. Injuries happen, maybe you can try and hedge that with drafting a WR high, but the patriots needed some OL help.

Maybe a WR instead of Richards? I don't know, that is major hindsight....LaFell has been pretty bad this year, I don't think anybody saw him dropping off the earth this year, if anything, I thought he would be better this year.

The only free agents I could see them making a play for next year are going to be bargain bin types. They might gamble on Brian Quick recovering, for instance. Mohamed Sanu went to Rutgers, so he'll be in play.

I woudn't mind WR:Jermaine Kerase from Seattle via free agency.

What about reforming Josh Gordon?
Do we reisign Blount or pick up a free agent who can move pile if Jackson doesnt find success here?
Honestly only positions that could use upgrades
Offensive line depth
Tight end depth
Either vintage Blount comes back or we find a bruising successor?
At least 2 deep threats at wide receiver
Dt depth
Glenn Gronkowski just because
Defensive backs depending on the progression of our young guys Roberts,Coleman,Melvin.
Thats about it I say we trade down and attack the middle rounds of the draft.
Thats where you can find good receivers and offensive line talent slipping thru the cracks.

The WR situation is unfortunate, but I certainly believed that we had a strong group going into training camp. Injuries happen, maybe you can try and hedge that with drafting a WR high, but the patriots needed some OL help.

Maybe a WR instead of Richards? I don't know, that is major hindsight....LaFell has been pretty bad this year, I don't think anybody saw him dropping off the earth this year, if anything, I thought he would be better this year.

Exactly if I had to point the finger thats where it goes LaFell hasn't done jack **** since the Giants Game the same game Edelman got injured. LaFell right now is like a #4 or 5 WR he should be fazed out of the Offense.

If you're talking about the OPI, well, that one WAS OPI.

Worse than Martin is Gronk, though. he's being held on EVERY PLAY. He's dragging guys along on his routes. It's disgusting.

It almost feels to me like that pats have allowed the league to put them in their place these last few weeks (since the Denver game). I've never seen anything like it. So instead of going balls out with all the injuries, they're working on the little things - trying new blocking schemes, treating it like the preseason.

Maybe the FU tour begins again in 2 weeks. I cannot believe that the same team we saw on teh field yesterday will show up in two weeks.

How could it have been OPI when Martin's hands never touched the defender? That was plain as day when you saw the replays..

Stefan Diggs,Devin Fucnchess, Tyler Lockett
Jaleel Strong, Chris Conley,Dorial Green Beckham.
One of those players on this team makes a difference Chris Harper is awful.
Brian Tyms was our best receiver at attacking the ball.
Its a shame he got hurt he should be getting reps ovef Lafell im sure he could of took the next step.

You think that Jaelen Strong would have made a difference? I think you seem to have forgotten that the Patriots traded for him from Houston, had him in for a couple of weeks, he couldn't cut it and they cut him. He re-signed with Houston. So, tell me again how he'd make a difference.

Stefon Diggs? Yes.. Everyone expects a 5th round pick to develop into a #1 WR during his 1st season.. Oh.. wait..
Devin Funchess? You'd be giving up Malcolm Brown to get him since he was taken at the top of the 2nd round and the Pats didn't have the draft capitol to trade up from their 2nd round pick..
Tyler Lockett?? Umm.. He's another "smurf" at 5'9 7/8. The knock on him was he had a propensity for drops because he'd try running before securing the ball.
Dorial Green-Beckham? Again, you'd be giving up Malcolm Brown.

Cannon
Lafell
Blount
Chandler
Antonio Gates

Yes. Let's add a 36 year old TE who is having injury issues..

I really can't blame LaFell and Martin too much. They are #3 and #4 WR thrust into starter roles. It the same way as I never gave Reche Caldwell that much grief because he was playing a role he was never intended to play and that role was more than his skill set.

I think with Edleman back and Amendola not on a pitch count, LaFell and Martin could be impactful.
I don't blame Martin. I do blame LaFell. This is a guy who was basically a 1000 yard receiver for us last year and the clear #2 WR. This season he has regressed and hasn't stepped up when we've needed him to.

The people that constantly scream for us to get a top end tall WR never seems to understand the salary cap, or how draft spots work. Sure. It would be great to have a Julio Jones. But we could never move that far in the draft. There's also inflation in what top WRs are payed. I think that they have reached a point, atleast for now, where they are paid more than they are worth to a team.
Yeah, absolutely. The Pats had the right idea when they invested heavily in the undervalued tight end position instead. I guess it half worked.

Jones in particular is a fascinating case because the Falcons got an elite player and there's still a valid argument that they would have been better off allocating those resources differently to add multiple quality players to a roster that really needs a few more.

woodwork? fan since 1972.....sorry I don't have enough posts for your liking. WR is a weakness....doesn't make sense when you have Brady.

It wasn't a weakness last year. This year clearly has been a challenge.

What about reforming Josh Gordon?
Oh gosh, I hope these last few weeks don't mean that we get 8 months of people wishing for Josh Gordon while ignoring that Lombardi desperately wanted to get rid of him when he was with the Browns.

You think that Jaelen Strong would have made a difference? I think you seem to have forgotten that the Patriots traded for him from Houston, had him in for a couple of weeks, he couldn't cut it and they cut him. He re-signed with Houston. So, tell me again how he'd make a difference.

Huh? 100% you made this up. Because Strong was never traded or cut.

I agree he wouldn't make a difference but come one at least google and look up Strong before saying he was in New England for a few weeks.

Getting Edelman back will be huge because Amendola is clearly playing while seriously hurt. This offense will be much better in two weeks.

Oh gosh, I hope these last few weeks don't mean that we get 8 months of people wishing for Josh Gordon while ignoring that Lombardi desperately wanted to get rid of him when he was with the Browns.

The guy has 10 cent head which equates to not understanding our Offense anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes