PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis - RFA or UFA in 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, this is possible because te patriots maintain their discipline and don't pay for "names" whose best games migh be behind them or players at glamour positions whose output and fit aren't worth the money [BB's human, though - the signs of a disaster were allover oucho and Reggie Wayne makes two].

I wonder if the pats will try and extend him if he keeps playing well

I wouldn't be surprised. all indications are, BB has decided he's more than a JAG, but the season is young... and he needs to not fumble for a long time.

Most intelligent players don't trade a happy career playing at a high level on a championship team for a living hell of losing every year with a bunch of unmotivated neurotic loser team mates.

It is this kind of analysis that fools us into thinking that players will almost always choose the patriots, and will give discounts to the patriots.

IMHO, the reality is that there are many competitive teams in the NFL that players would choose to play for if they offered more money than the patriots.

It is this kind of analysis that fools us into thinking that players will almost always choose the patriots, and will give discounts to the patriots.

IMHO, the reality is that there are many competitive teams in the NFL that players would choose to play for if they offered more money than the patriots.

I didn't say otherwise. I said that most players consider other factors besides absolute top dollar, if they're smart.

We can't sign Vollmer, we can't sign Seymour, how can we sign wilfork? How could we sign gronk long term?

Their record of signing their own outstanding players long term is actually really good. They've also managed to sign useful free agents at reasonable prices and they let go of players who's best days are behind them.

Best to hope for the players to play great and win a super bowl, then worry about contracts later IMO. Can't recall a player in his prime they really wanted that they had to let go because they couldn't find the money.

Other teams? It happens all the time, because they are forced to, because they didn't maintain fiscal discipline when they could have with prudent decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised. all indications are, BB has decided he's more than a JAG, but the season is young... and he needs to not fumble for a long time.

How do you even come up with a number right now? My concern would be that it's virtually impossible from both sides.

Does Bill Belichick feel comfortable attempting to come up with a number of say, 2 million dollars for a one year deal? After all, Lewis could fumble tomorrow and never see the field again (or at least awhile, anyway).

A multi-year deal would practically be out of the question, at least until free agency comes and Lewis and the Pats allow the market to set his value. Why would Lewis be quick to jump on a deal if he has another good game tomorrow, when he can simply wait until March for a team to open up their checkbook for something in the 3-4 million dollar per year range?

It seems to be something of a gamble for both sides right now, at least in my opinion. Perhaps they could agree to something later on in the season? Either way, he's been a pleasant surprise for the first 2 games, and we hope it continues.

How do you even come up with a number right now? My concern would be that it's virtually impossible from both sides.

Does Bill Belichick feel comfortable attempting to come up with a number of say, 2 million dollars for a one year deal? After all, Lewis could fumble tomorrow and never see the field again (or at least awhile, anyway).

A multi-year deal would practically be out of the question, at least until free agency comes and Lewis and the Pats allow the market to set his value. Why would Lewis be quick to jump on a deal if he has another good game tomorrow, when he can simply wait until March for a team to open up their checkbook for something in the 3-4 million dollar per year range?

It seems to be something of a gamble for both sides right now, at least in my opinion. Perhaps they could agree to something later on in the season? Either way, he's been a pleasant surprise for the first 2 games, and we hope it continues.

Exactly. We're two games in. All we need to worry about is next game, then playoffs, if we take care of #1 each week. If we got a guy for nothing that can help us, there's nothing better, at this point.

It's like the guy who was depressed after winning the lottery, thinking about all those taxes.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3