PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon; just supposing he retires??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I just had a thought; with all the talk about how Dillon is aging and slowing down (which he is) and that he may not be effective or with the team next year (which I don't believe).

But if he does retire this off-season or the one after (and we don't win another SB in 2008)..........

What jersey/helmet will he wear in Canton????

I mean he racked up all his record yardage and gaudy TD #s in Cincy; but he had such a schizophrenic relationship with the team and the fans.

Up til now; he has gotten mostly nothing but love here in NE (after the initial trepidation) and he has gotten to taste SBs.

So did he get enough love here that he would definitely wear a Pats jersey when he gets inducted?

I made the assumption at the top that we don't win another SB because I think if we won it 2008 with Dillon still on the team and playing a meaningful role; I think retiring on a SB winning note means he definitely wears Patriots colors. But if not; I just am not sure. Thoughts?

definitely a pats jersey

i'm not too sure exactly what happened, but his last game as a bengal, before he went to NE, he took off his jersey, pads and helmet and left it on the field during a game.....

dillon is aging, but i still think he'll play a major role in the backfield, he's still a tremendous rb, still one of the best in the nfl

runs we see maroney make 3,4 yard runs, give dillon that chance to make the same run, he'll make it into a 6-7 yard run...its dillons experience and leadership that fuels those big gains

Maroney is the future for sure (as of today). Dillon still has value. He has the experience of playing for a "bad team" (not trying to throw stones at Cinn.)and a SB winning team. His knowledge and leadership can help and teach Maroney. Dillon can be NE's version of Jerome Bettis. A winner and a teacher.

Maroney is the future for sure (as of today). Dillon still has value. He has the experience of playing for a "bad team" (not trying to throw stones at Cinn.)and a SB winning team. His knowledge and leadership can help and teach Maroney. Dillon can be NE's version of Jerome Bettis. A winner and a teacher.

I don't think he'll retire this year. If the Indy game left as bad a taste in his mouth as he seems to be saying it did, I don't think he's the kind of guy who would leave the game on that note. I think he'll come back for one more try at Ring number two.

RE Maroney: it was my impression that his stats and carries fell off in the last six or seven games and he didn't seem to be the same player. does anybody have "real numbers" to support or kill this impression? If I'm right, why did that occur. He took a bad hit, I recall, which BB described as something like he had the wind knocked out of him. Was he playing hurt? Some other explanation?

I don't think he'll retire this year. If the Indy game left as bad a taste in his mouth as he seems to be saying it did, I don't think he's the kind of guy who would leave the game on that note. I think he'll come back for one more try at Ring number two.

RE Maroney: it was my impression that his stats and carries fell off in the last six or seven games and he didn't seem to be the same player. does anybody have "real numbers" to support or kill this impression? If I'm right, why did that occur. He took a bad hit, I recall, which BB described as something like he had the wind knocked out of him. Was he playing hurt? Some other explanation?

Well the reports where he's telling people he's going to retire might suggest that he's thinking about retiring.

If anyone has any theories or reports on Maroney's production I'd be interested too. Might just be a rookie wall which so many of them do hit - let's just hope with another year under his belt he'll be able to improve on his production.

Taking another RB in the draft wouldn't surprise me in the least. One assumes it would be a 3rd-5th round choice but nothing that this team does in the draft surprises me anymore. When they feel they have a chance to add value in the draft, they do it - and if a player they felt was a major contributor fell to them in the first round, they'd grab him no matter what position.

I just had a thought; with all the talk about how Dillon is aging and slowing down (which he is) and that he may not be effective or with the team next year (which I don't believe).

But if he does retire this off-season or the one after (and we don't win another SB in 2008)..........

What jersey/helmet will he wear in Canton????

I mean he racked up all his record yardage and gaudy TD #s in Cincy; but he had such a schizophrenic relationship with the team and the fans.

Up til now; he has gotten mostly nothing but love here in NE (after the initial trepidation) and he has gotten to taste SBs.

So did he get enough love here that he would definitely wear a Pats jersey when he gets inducted?

I made the assumption at the top that we don't win another SB because I think if we won it 2008 with Dillon still on the team and playing a meaningful role; I think retiring on a SB winning note means he definitely wears Patriots colors. But if not; I just am not sure. Thoughts?

Pats.

His Bengals uniform is already in the Hall of Fame.

I hope CD stays on through next year. 2006 showed (me) that he still has something left in the tank, and the nastiness we all love is still there. And long-term, I think it can only help Maroney to have him around for another season.

It was posted in a Vinatieri thread, can't remember which one:

Unliked baseball, football players do not go in under one team's designation, they go in under all of the ones they played for.

definitely a pats jersey

i'm not too sure exactly what happened, but his last game as a bengal, before he went to NE, he took off his jersey, pads and helmet and left it on the field during a game.....

dillon is aging, but i still think he'll play a major role in the backfield, he's still a tremendous rb, still one of the best in the nfl

runs we see maroney make 3,4 yard runs, give dillon that chance to make the same run, he'll make it into a 6-7 yard run...its dillons experience and leadership that fuels those big gains
The film clip I remember is of Dillon doing more than that. like taking off his shoulder pads and throwing them toward the stands.

If Dillon makes it into the HoF, does the player have a say in which jersey will be put up in the Hall?

I think he'd chose the Patriots. I mean I was under the assumption that he really loathed Cincinatti near the end of his time there. Most fan in Cincy seem to dislike him as well. Corey won a SB here. He had numerous losing seasons in Cinci. Corey had 0 playoff trips with Cincy. He has had 3 in the 3 years he has been year. He had his best year in his entire career in 2004 with the Pats and he recorded his career high rushing TD's in 2006. He's had what? 37 rushing TD's in 3 years with the Pats.

i think its Cinci jersey and helmet. thats where he made himself a top back at one point.

#s

Taking another RB in the draft wouldn't surprise me in the least. One assumes it would be a 3rd-5th round choice but nothing that this team does in the draft surprises me anymore. When they feel they have a chance to add value in the draft, they do it - and if a player they felt was a major contributor fell to them in the first round, they'd grab him no matter what position.

I agree. Laurence Maroney has great potential, but it seems to be getting harder for one back to take the load in the NFL. The defenders are just getting more punishing. What about a 230lb with the ability to keep pounding? Look at NFL Draft countdown, there seem to be a few projected to go on Day 1, like Tony Hunt of Penn State.

i think its Cinci jersey and helmet. thats where he made himself a top back at one point.

#s

I agree for the reason you said. It's where he made most of his yards.

#s

Dillon has scored at least 13 T.D's in each of his 3 seasons with the Patriots.

He never had 13 T.D's with the Bengals. The question I have is if Dillon retires who scores the 13 T.D's next year?

Dillon has scored at least 13 T.D's in each of his 3 seasons with the Patriots.

He never had 13 T.D's with the Bengals. The question I have is if Dillon retires who scores the 13 T.D's next year?

Most the top 5 longest run off the line has been dillion`s so who runs these next year ?

I believe Laurence was playing hurt, torn cartilage in his ribs was something I recall reading, not the sort of thing to heal well taking further shots to the ribs. It may have explained his dancing, but I think a more reasonable explanation is the blocking scheme was designed around Cory, it made it tougher for Laurence to read the blocks and find holes, which led to the hesitation in his running.

At this point he would appear to be the feature back for the 2007 season, I expect more of a zone blocking scheme to take advantage of his speed and quickness - something he was familiar with in college. Faulk, Dillon, Evans and whomever else BB uses will learn to run within that scheme.

I think he had Cracked ribs or Ligaments strained in the ribs, which hurt his mobility greatly (someone please clarify, I forget which) so that really hurt our run game...Faulk was hurt early in the indy game, then Marony got a bad shot to the ribs and wasn't very effective after that (see the -2 yard loss) Dillon, I have no clue...either gased or some injury as well...Our run game was totaly shot for the second half, maybe big reason why we only had 4 run plays in that half?

PD

I think he had Cracked ribs or Ligaments strained in the ribs, which hurt his mobility greatly (someone please clarify, I forget which) so that really hurt our run game...Faulk was hurt early in the indy game, then Marony got a bad shot to the ribs and wasn't very effective after that (see the -2 yard loss) Dillon, I have no clue...either gased or some injury as well...Our run game was totaly shot for the second half, maybe big reason why we only had 4 run plays in that half?

PD

Cartilidge, as mentioned earlier. Maroney's stats for 2006... I'll just do opponent, rushing yards, TDs, and Yards Per Carry (although this understates the importance of return yardage, which was at least equal to RB duties for him.)

9/10 Buf 86y 0TD 5.1
9/17 @NY 65y 1TD 4.1
9/24 Den 18y 0TD 1.5
10/1 @Cin 125y 2TD 8.3
10/8 Miami 38y 0TD 2.1
10/22 @Buff 29Y 0TD 3.6
10/30 @Minn 34Y 0TD 4.3
11/05 Indy 63Y 0TD 4.8
11/12 NY 37Y 0TD 3.1
11/19 @GB 82Y 0TD 4.3
11/26 Chi 33Y 1TD 2.5
12/03 Det 14Y 0TD 3.5
12/10 @Mia
12/17 Hou
12/24 @Jax 48Y 1TD 6.9
12/31 @TN 73Y 1TD 5.6

Totals: 745Y 6TD 4.3YPC average
Also, 1 receiving TD (it was against GB); 194 Re. yards; 8.8 yards per catch.

Oddly enough, for all the talk about the "rookie wall," he had plenty of stinkers sprinkled in from the beginning.

PFnV

I believe Laurence was playing hurt, torn cartilage in his ribs was something I recall reading, not the sort of thing to heal well taking further shots to the ribs. It may have explained his dancing, but I think a more reasonable explanation is the blocking scheme was designed around Cory, it made it tougher for Laurence to read the blocks and find holes, which led to the hesitation in his running.

At this point he would appear to be the feature back for the 2007 season, I expect more of a zone blocking scheme to take advantage of his speed and quickness - something he was familiar with in college. Faulk, Dillon, Evans and whomever else BB uses will learn to run within that scheme.

thanks, especially for the insight on the blocking schemes...i'm no orthopod but my understanding is cartilage injuries heal well with rest, i.e., with not being pounded every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes