PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did we strike gold @ #7 again?? Willie Andrews

Status
Not open for further replies.
zippo59 said:
I think the poor tackling of Andrews that people are referring to is due mostly to his size. He is never going to be able to tackle like a Rodney Harrison, just becsue of the size discrepency. That does not mean that Andrews can not be a good tackler for his size and develop into a solid defensive player.

I agree that Andrews could very well develop into a good tackler. My point was him, and Bob Sanders don't ahve the natural tackling advantage that comes with being 6-2, 220 lbs. They will have to work harder at it and go more all out to make up for their lack of size than someone who is bigger.

DaBruinz said:
Never heard of GM JR Scouting LLC so I have no idea as to their credibility. However, I do have to question them when they say that a player has no ball awareness when his back is to the QB. All players have no ball awareness at that point. However, they will look back on occasion.

I think they are referring to his poor ability to read the wr eyes and/or body movements to predict when the ball is coming so he can turn around and get a play on it or at the very least, not be penalized for making contact when he was looking for the ball.

The guy that comes to mind that was HORRIBLE at this was a FA CB we picked up from Miami and he played nickel cb for us in one of the SBs... I think he name was Antwan Harris... not sure. Anyway, that guy never looked back... I would actually scream at my TV for him to look back... but he never did.

zippo59 said:
I think the poor tackling of Andrews that people are referring to is due mostly to his size. He is never going to be able to tackle like a Rodney Harrison, just becsue of the size discrepency. That does not mean that Andrews can not be a good tackler for his size and develop into a solid defensive player.
Look for him and two other smaller DBacks at camp this weekend...Vernell Brown and Gemera Williams..both are CBs..and both are about 5'8"....and BOTH are solid tacklers. Some said Williams was the best tackler on the Buffalo team. Size might have something to do with it..but only one factor.

DaBruinz said:
Never heard of GM JR Scouting LLC so I have no idea as to their credibility.
Me either, but the Patriots have done very well ignoring the scouting companies and using their own scouts. Every draft, we go "Who? WHat"? and all the talking heads talk about reaching, but the system has been working forthe Pats.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
I think they are referring to his poor ability to read the wr eyes and/or body movements to predict when the ball is coming so he can turn around and get a play on it or at the very least, not be penalized for making contact when he was looking for the ball.

The guy that comes to mind that was HORRIBLE at this was a FA CB we picked up from Miami and he played nickel cb for us in one of the SBs... I think he name was Antwan Harris... not sure. Anyway, that guy never looked back... I would actually scream at my TV for him to look back... but he never did.

You are thinking of Leonard Myers, who was a 5th rounder out of Miami. I had flashbacks to Myers as well when I read the ball awareness critique. Myers always seemed to have excellent coverage, but would never make a play on the ball, having balls go whizzing by his ear for completions.

Antwan Harris was a Pats draftee out of Virginia, who mostly played as a safety in nickel and dime packages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back