PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Belichick miss on Taylor Price, the 3rd round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a little naive to state other teams draft gems in comparison to Price. Teams hit and miss on prospects every year. You can't look at one successful guy on another team-that countless other teams passed on-and question why we didn't go get him.

Agreed. The Pats had 11 WR in training camp and they already had added one UDFA in Buddy Farnham.

They had Randy Moss still and had brought in vets Torry Holt and David Patten but mainly tried to get Brandon Tate up to speed since he was on IR his first year.

Normally it takes 3 years for WR to adjust to speed of the NFL. So Price has some time and also Tate should continue to improve.

They are stocked at WR already for next year's camp since everyone is under contract.

Deion Branch
Julian Edleman
Taylor Price
Matthew Slater
Brandon Tate
Wes Welker
Darnell Jenkins (PS)
Shun White (Military Reserve)
Tyree Barnes (Military Reserve)

I could see them bringing Farnham back and maybe another vet or UDFA. The passing game is workig right now. They are using Gronk and Hernandez to go over the middle and deep routes and occasionally Tate. All of those guys are in their first year of playing so all should improve next year.

I honestly don't see the Pats drafting another WR. All their WRs are under contract through 2011 and they have 3 youngsters in Edelman, Tate and Price. While I have been somewhat disappointed with Edelman's lack of progress, I also take into consideration that he's only in his 2nd year of playing WR. I also remember that he was stuck behind Moss, Welker and Tate early in the season and now is stuck behind Welker, Branch and Tate. Also, I have to consider that when the Pats have gone to 4 and 5 receiver sets, they've put Gronkowski and Hernandez out there to create mismatches. So, Edelman is really like the 6th receiver.. But what that does mean is that he's got the bust his butt in the off-season to make sure he catches things when thrown to.

The only way that I can see the Pats drafting a WR is if they decide to give up on Edelman or get a great trade offer for him. Or, the best value available happens to be a WR who they feel is better than Branch on the outside.

It is very heartening to read guys like y'all, who realize how substantial our crew is, in the wake of trading Randy, after all the screeching and wailing my eyes and ears were assaulted with, this Spring.

There's no reason we can't target the Blair Whites and Scott Longs of the 8th Round, this coming Spring, either, if we want to supplement our already substantial Depth of Talent.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Price adds to the mix, next Spring.

I expect the Premature Evacuators will be pleasantly surprised.
th_coffee.gif

Julian Edelman and Wes Welker both say "HI"

One can never have too many utility players, and he can also compete against Price and Slater, if Cobb outperforms them we go with him.

From the FWIW department, the Pat's radio guys thought Price looked like a high quality WR in the first few days of camp, markedly better than Tate.

So seems to comfirm the notion that Price has alot to learn about route running.

It's way too early to tell. The kid seems to have the tools-they just need to be developed to play in the Pats offensive schemes. We'll just have to see, but I have a good feeling about him.

I have not heard one first hand account of his progress (or lack thereof) since the end of the summer. Anything said about Price at this point is total speculation.

I think he needs to get on to three or four Special Teams units to make his mark...

I have not heard one first hand account of his progress (or lack thereof) since the end of the summer. Anything said about Price at this point is total speculation.

I think he needs to get on to three or four Special Teams units to make his mark...

Price is not a special teams player. He only had a handful of returns while in college and was not a gunner.

Price, to make his mark, is going to have to be the intermediate to deep threat that the Pats are looking for. He's got Sub 4.4 speed. He was also highly touted for his hands and his route running coming out of school. The knock on him was that he had been on a team with garbage at the QB position. The other knock was that his blocking was subpar though his willingness was extremely high.

What makes Price intriguing is that, in college, he played both the "Z" and "X" receiver positions.

What Price has to show is that he's learning to run the routes the way the Brady wants them run. That he's learning to read Pro Style Defenses and understand what his job is going to be and how to make the same reads that Brady is doing. And that last part is the hardest thing for ANY receiver who comes into the Pats system.

What Price has to show is that he's learning to run the routes the way the Brady wants them run. That he's learning to read Pro Style Defenses and understand what his job is going to be and how to make the same reads that Brady is doing. And that last part is the hardest thing for ANY receiver who comes into the Pats system.

Particularly if he doesn't get any practice reps with Brady. I don't think Belichick wants to even consider throwing a new receiver at Brady at this point unless injury gives him no choice. That isn't an indictment of Price...that is placing priority on Brady having a comfortable and consistent supporting cast around him.

Price will get his chance next year to get his reps (probably at the expense of Edelperson). If he doesn't succeed, that probably means someone else has stepped up to block his advancement. Sucks for Price but a positive for the team.

Particularly if he doesn't get any practice reps with Brady. I don't think Belichick wants to even consider throwing a new receiver at Brady at this point unless injury gives him no choice. That isn't an indictment of Price...that is placing priority on Brady having a comfortable and consistent supporting cast around him.

Price will get his chance next year to get his reps (probably at the expense of Edelperson). If he doesn't succeed, that probably means someone else has stepped up to block his advancement. Sucks for Price but a positive for the team.

god i hope it's at the expense of slater not edelperson... edelman looked really good in pre season b4 his injury and i thought he was going to be a real feature this year. as the 3rd wr.

I think his development and Tate's are kinda linked. If Tate could step up to the #2WR and Price could handle the #3 spot we wouldnt have traded for Branch. Yes we have 3 young WRs, but none are so good as to demand the playing time. Tate and Price may well be the same player for the same spot at #3, we have been very healthy at the position since Holt went down, which is pretty rare. Usually you have lost significant playing time at #1 or 2 at this point in the season. If we draft a WR it will be very telling, its been quite a while since we developed a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft