PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did anyone see anything from Chung yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in the end Chung will be pretty good. But its hard when your 5'11 and some people your going up against will be like 6'4 6'5. It's pretty tough to get a jump on them. But I have faith Bill knows how to draft.

I think in the end Chung will be pretty good. But its hard when your 5'11 and some people your going up against will be like 6'4 6'5. It's pretty tough to get a jump on them. But I have faith Bill knows how to draft.

Troy Polamalu - 5'10
Ed Reed - 5'11
Bob Sanders - 5'8
Brian Dawkins - 6'0

Pretty standard

Safeties who are 6' or 6'1" and cover well are called corners.

was chung wearing white long sleeves?

if so, hes responsible for letting up the ravens second TD....

(either him or the lb that took the flat)

No idea how you got this. Guyton was 1 on 1 with the RB and blew it. What you saw was him running by sanders after guyton missed the coverage.

Its sanders who locks down when others mess up in the front 7 and bad for guyton he was helping the CB with mason.

Maybe you're just haven't seen the play in question and are unaware that it was a *rushing* play. Take a look:

NFL Videos: Ray Rice 50-yard run

Sanders was the free safety on that play and was the only guy unblocked (Magowan and Guyton were both blocked). He just whiffed on a tackle he was counted on to make. If he had made the tackle as he should have it would have been a 10-15 yard gain. I rather doubt even Sanders would buy your excuse for him was that he was too busy doubling up Mason on a *rushing* play to do his job as the "safety" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
owww, yea, i didnt remember the whiff by sanders being that bad, lol

on another note, what i noticed in real time when watching this live....

Ray Rice is FAST....and yet Guyton was keeping up

he was going step for step with rice.....it was remarkeble

the kid can run

Hey,

I saw Chung on the field. Does anyone know where Brace is?
And who is the guy in blue sweats with the #9, on the Pats sideline always inciting the crowd?

Hey,

I saw Chung on the field. Does anyone know where Brace is?
And who is the guy in blue sweats with the #9, on the Pats sideline always inciting the crowd?

Did he look like this?

ImgDyn.cfm

I believe #9 is Isiah Stanback, the mysterious practice squad QB-turned-WR-turned-QB.

Edit: looking more closely at his bio, make that QB-turned-WR-turned-QB-turned-WR-turned-QB.

Last edited:
No not a thing, but at least he isn't famous for allowing the winning TD.

It is rare that any draft pick can contribute beyond special teams in year 1. Butler is playing great, Edelman is producing, Pryor is in the rotation. Given the big jump that occurs between year 1 and 2 we should expect Brace, Vollmer and Chung to be strong contributors in 2010. If McKenzie and Tate can make an impact this could go down with the 2003 class as among the best in the BB era.

Last edited:
The unknowable for me: how much of Chung's limited role is on Chung, and how much on Brandon McGowan? That's a surprisingly deep position right now, given that at the start of free agency Meriweather was the only safety on the roster.

you're right..................jeez,this drives me nuts..............Chung will be terrific,however,remember he's a Safety.....We've got Sanders,BM,and McGowan......Also,Shawn Springs and Darius Butler play both CB and FS.Plenty of time for Chung to develop................this is the best draft class in the BB era......Slater and Chung were standouts on special teams,yesterday................No one has mentioned,long-snapper Jake Ingram,either..................which is a good thing..................I only wish the Squellers hadn't stolen Danny Sepulveda,before us 2 years ago.

Maybe you're just haven't seen the play in question and are unaware that it was a *rushing* play. Take a look:

Sanders was the free safety on that play and was the only guy unblocked (Magowan and Guyton were both blocked). He just whiffed on a tackle he was counted on to make. If he had made the tackle as he should have it would have been a 10-15 yard gain. I rather doubt even Sanders would buy your excuse for him was that he was too busy doubling up Mason on a *rushing* play to do his job as the "safety" :rolleyes:

The breakdown on that play starts with the defensive formation called for that play, a nickel pass rush which Ravens exploited for a run up the middle (you see McGowan motion down as hybrid LB, CB's play on cushion). If anyone is anywhere near being at fault, it is Guyton for not staying in two-gap technique which is staying in front of the blocker and not allowing the blocker to force him to one side, and also being able to shed in time. Also he reacted before making a clear read which is putting the cart ahead of the horse. As McGowan is not a true LB he is easily blocked.

It is wrong to blame Sanders because it is extremely difficult to tackle a RB in open space coming at you at top speed. That's football 101. If you want to play football by having your SS tackle a RB in open space, you're going to lose more battles than you win. Consequently by the time such a thing happens, a breakdown elsewhere has happened.

EDIT: They were in the DIME package, not nickel. My mistake.

Last edited:
The breakdown on that play starts with the defensive formation called for that play, a nickel pass rush which Ravens exploited for a run up the middle (you see McGowan motion down as hybrid LB, CB's play on cushion). If anyone is anywhere near being at fault, it is Guyton for not staying in two-gap technique which is staying in front of the blocker and not allowing the blocker to force him to one side, and also being able to shed in time. Also he reacted before making a clear read which is putting the cart ahead of the horse. As McGowan is not a true LB he is easily blocked.

It is wrong to blame Sanders because it is extremely difficult to tackle a RB in open space coming at you at top speed. That's football 101. If you want to play football by having your SS tackle a RB in open space, you're going to lose more battles than you win. Consequently by the time such a thing happens, a breakdown elsewhere has happened.

This is exactly right.........I've looked at this play,several times...........It was the play call by the Ravens.The Pats were in a nickel and Guyton was sealed off by an offensive lineman.It's the fault of the DL for allowing the blockers to get to the 2nd level.Rice or McGahee or Adrian Peterson are a load to tackle,15 yds downfield.This is why we need Seau or Mayo........Banta-Cain is an edge rusher,with zero,linebacker instincts.If you choose to play a 4-2-5 scheme,you're susceptible to screens and draws,it's just the nature of the beast.

This is exactly right.........I've looked at this play,several times...........It was the play call by the Ravens.The Pats were in a nickel and Guyton was sealed off by an offensive lineman.It's the fault of the DL for allowing the blockers to get to the 2nd level.Rice or McGahee or Adrian Peterson are a load to tackle,15 yds downfield.This is why we need Seau or Mayo........Banta-Cain is an edge rusher,with zero,linebacker instincts.If you choose to play a 4-2-5 scheme,you're susceptible to screens and draws,it's just the nature of the beast.

I don't think anyone is to blame- Ravens just called a good play is all. If Mayo had been in there, he would have been in Guyton's spot and McGowan would still be there because it's the nickel.

Who knows.. Mayo may have shed faster?

I don't think anyone is to blame- Ravens just called a good play is all. If Mayo had been in there, he would have been in Guyton's spot and McGowan would still be there because it's the nickel.

Who knows.. Mayo may have shed faster?

I don't disagree.....it's just the play call..........the difference being,to me,is getting a back like Rice into open space..............why the Ravens didn't run more screens,is beyond me.Once the Pats defense rotated coverage towards Derek Mason and Todd Heap,then screens are the best play call.Just another team that fails to correctly adapt to a change in scheme,by the Patriots............mystifying.

Can't believe the excuses you guys are giving Sanders on that play. So Guyton is supposed to shed the block and make the tackle, but Sanders is excused for an unblocked whiff coming up from deep contain? It wasn't even a good whiff -- he took a bad angle and *dove* at Rice who barely slowed down avoiding him. If he had just slowed Rice down a bit there was plenty of pursuit nearby (Meriweather and Guyton, specifically). Sanders is just terrible in space, he takes bad angles all the time. He's a smart, dedicated player, is usually in the right place and hits hard when he hits... but he's a terrible open field tackler for a free safety.

Last edited:
Sanders is just terrible in space, he takes bad angles all the time. He's a smart, dedicated player, is usually in the right place and hits hard when he hits... but he's a terrible open field tackler for a free safety.
We're talking about Lewis Sanders or James Sanders. Jame Sanders is an excellent open field tackler.

We're talking about Lewis Sanders or James Sanders. Jame Sanders is an excellent open field tackler.

I can recall many plays just like this from James Sanders:

...especially typical from him is coming up from deep contain at a bad angle under poor control. I think he hits hard and wraps well and fights through traffic decently -- but he's terrible in space. He comes up from safety as if he's forcing on kick coverage -- not what you want to see in a true safety.

Last edited:
I can recall many plays just like this from James Sanders:

...especially typical from him is coming up from deep contain at a bad angle under poor control. I think he hits hard and wraps well and fights through traffic decently -- but he's terrible in space. He comes up from safety as if he's forcing on kick coverage -- not what you want to see in a true safety.

Come on, what are you talking about? If the SS is attempting to tackle the RB, the breakdown has already occured!

Come on, what are you talking about? If the SS is attempting to tackle the RB, the breakdown has already occured!

What, you're happy with a 50 yard gainer? Would've have been a TD if Meriweather wasn't hustling. If Sanders had done the job he was put into position for it would have been a 12-15 yard gain, not 50+. Belichick has many times pointed out that long runs are the fault of the secondary, not the front seven. And Sanders is the freakin FS, not the SS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back