PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty has the most INT's over the last 3 years on passes 15+ yds downfield

Re: Devin McCourty has the most INT's over the last 3 years on passes 15+ yds downfi

Pass defense is more than just one guy. The pass defense had a very noticeable turnaround when Talib came in and McCourty moved back to a position that he was more naturally suited for (after playing there at the end of 2011). As a CB, he's somewhat of a liability because he was having trouble getting his head around while trailing. As a safety, his eyes are almost always toward the quarterback where his range and ball hawking skills have the potential to make him one of the best at his position. Those skills are the reason why I wanted to see a hitter paired up with him back there. Bring in someone that is a threat to take the opposing WR's head off, and pair that guy with McCourty's range, and you have a premiere safety tandem in the NFL.

McCourty = Tbucky

Dennis Pitta burned McCourty for a TD in the AFCC. Elite DBs make plays in the post season. See Rodney Harrison or Ty Law. They were ELITE.

3 of Mccourtys 5 2012 INTs came via Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Re: Devin McCourty has the most INT's over the last 3 years on passes 15+ yds downfi

McCourty = Tbucky

That observation is very far off, for a number of reasons.

Dennis Pitta burned McCourty for a TD in the AFCC. Elite DBs make plays in the post season. See Rodney Harrison or Ty Law. They were ELITE.

That looked more like busted coverage to me. Regardless, judging a DB by one bad play, then using that to form your (already skewed) opinion is a failure of logic because it ignores all the other good plays that McCourty made since he was moved to safety.

So you're saying a higher percentage of a DB's interceptions came against a bad quarterback?

jonah-hill-shock.gif

That observation is very far off, for a number of reasons.

That looked more like busted coverage to me. Regardless, judging a DB by one bad play, then using that to form your (already skewed) opinion is a failure of logic because it ignores all the other good plays that McCourty made since he was moved to safety.

So you're saying a higher percentage of a DB's interceptions came against a bad quarterback?

jonah-hill-shock.gif

I used to think Adrian Peterson was a great running back until I realized that he got most of his yards against bad run defenses, same goes for Calvin Johnson, he racks the yards up against crappy teams like Green Bay.

Now Kareem Mackenzie, there's a special player................

How can that be so when NE has had one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL?

Gosh, it must be rough watching your McCourty jihad crumble before your very eyes.

Bring in someone that is a threat to take the opposing WR's head off, and pair that guy with McCourty's range, and you have a premiere safety tandem in the NFL.

Adrian Wilson is a good start, but it would be nice to see a young version of an A. Wilson/Rodney Harrison type

Devin McCourty is a fine young safety, regardless of his interception totals. I hope he's able to come to a deal with the team on a second contract, as a safety, and stick around for a while.

Devon McCourty is a top 25 CB in this league. Hopefully he'll be a top 5 FS. He is definitely the best DB the Pats have had since Law and Harrison retired. He is a quality player ON the field, IN the locker room, and IN the community. If healthy he will be a Patriot for the bulk if not all of his career and a few years after that, join the elite in the Patriot HOF> This so called "recognition" is LONG overdue.

players with more ints last year then Fitzpatrick

1. Drew Brees* · NOR 19
Tony Romo · DAL 19
3. Andrew Luck · IND 18
Mark Sanchez · NYJ 18
5. Josh Freeman · TAM 17
Matthew Stafford · DET 17
Brandon Weeden · CLE 17
8. Andy Dalton · CIN 16
Ryan Fitzpatrick · BUF 16

Players who picked Fitz off last year

Jets
Revis 1
Cromartie 1
Wilson 1

Pats
Mayo 1
Mccourty 3
Wilson 1

49ers
Culliver 1

Titans
Mccourty 1

Colts
Zibowski 1

Jags
Pusluszny 1

Rams
Dunbar 1

Seahawks
Thomas 1
Wright 1

Dolphins
Jones 1

At a bare minimum based on your "well, hes getting ints off a bad qb" plan of bashing, Mccourty is at least 3 times as good as everyone else on this list right?

players with more ints last year then Fitzpatrick

1. Drew Brees* · NOR 19
Tony Romo · DAL 19
3. Andrew Luck · IND 18
Mark Sanchez · NYJ 18
5. Josh Freeman · TAM 17
Matthew Stafford · DET 17
Brandon Weeden · CLE 17
8. Andy Dalton · CIN 16
Ryan Fitzpatrick · BUF 16

Players who picked Fitz off last year

Jets
Revis 1
Cromartie 1
Wilson 1

Pats
Mayo 1
Mccourty 3
Wilson 1

49ers
Culliver 1

Titans
Mccourty 1

Colts
Zibowski 1

Jags
Pusluszny 1

Rams
Dunbar 1

Seahawks
Thomas 1
Wright 1

Dolphins
Jones 1

At a bare minimum based on your "well, hes getting ints off a bad qb" plan of bashing, Mccourty is at least 3 times as good as everyone else on this list right?

I'm on McCourty's side, so I hate to do this but... McCourty faced Fitz twice, while everyone but the Jets and Dolphins players you listed only faced him once.

I'm on McCourty's side, so I hate to do this but... McCourty faced Fitz twice, while everyone but the Jets and Dolphins players you listed only faced him once.

1.5 ints is still better then 1.

McCourty = Tbucky

Steve Gregory (who bit on the underneath route and caused that touchdown to happen) and Devin McCourty are two completely different people. I suggest you don't watch the games in black and white. A new perscription might help as well.

McCourty = Tbucky

:bricks:

Postseason, regular season, bathing suit season, it's irrelevant. Even the best players make mistakes, regardless of the season.

:bricks:

Postseason, regular season, bathing suit season, it's irrelevant. Even the best players make mistakes, regardless of the season.

But you can't make mistakes in the postseason. Only players who don't give up a Super Bowl winning catch on the final drive of the big game can be elite.

Oh wait.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back