PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the cop was able to tell whether he was black or white at 2 AM. This is a lame excuse and I thought you were better than this.

What would you say the chances are that the cops there might actually know the vehicle and licence plate of a guy who assaulted one of their own?

I'd say they're pretty good.

I'm not saying that's what happened - but I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me if they knew who they were pulling over.

Doesn't matter, if he passed the field sobriety test. Straddling the lines. That's laughable. And people want to cut him.

I thought you were questioning what the probable cause was for giving him the field sobriety test.

Ehhh, bending over backward to be fair, I suppose you could call it "straddling" if he pulled out as if to pass, realized the coast was not clear, and got back in your lane. It could also be driving in the middle of two lanes rather than picking a lane and sticking to it.

Unlike a trial on HLN, prior bad acts do come into play when you're talking about the privilege of playing pro ball. So does timing. Sorry, it's not just, but it's real.

I also agree with Clare that Dennard will likely end up on another roster if he's cut, and the team will be in worse shape.

But if they cut him it will be to make a show of cleaning up the joint, not to dispense perfect justice or maximize the chances of winning. It would be a brand-protection move, to be really fancy about it, or it could be a "d%#*!@t I didn't get into the NFL to be the jail team" sentiment on Kraft's part.

I could see him personally doing an "enough is enough" move and putting everybody on notice.

I thought you were questioning what the probable cause was for giving him the field sobriety test.

Ehhh, bending over backward to be fair, I suppose you could call it "straddling" if he pulled out as if to pass, realized the coast was not clear, and got back in your lane. It could also be driving in the middle of two lanes rather than picking a lane and sticking to it.

Unlike a trial on HLN, prior bad acts do come into play when you're talking about the privilege of playing pro ball. So does timing. Sorry, it's not just, but it's real.

I also agree with Clare that Dennard will likely end up on another roster if he's cut, and the team will be in worse shape.

But if they cut him it will be to make a show of cleaning up the joint, not to dispense perfect justice or maximize the chances of winning. It would be a brand-protection move, to be really fancy about it, or it could be a "d%#*!@t I didn't get into the NFL to be the jail team" sentiment on Kraft's part.

I could see him personally doing an "enough is enough" move and putting everybody on notice.

Seems like an overreaction. We did the right thing with Hernandez, we could of waited to see how that played out, we didn't that was message enough. The prior bad act was minor, probably the only reason we were able to draft him and we signed up for it.

It's one occurrence with the team no matter how you look at it.

If Dennard gets released its not really a question of if he will get picked up its if the waiver order goes worst to first will the chiefs or jags claim him.

Anybody can be arrested, it only matters if he is convicted. If you wanted to argue that if he is convicted for DUI then he should be released that's a different conversation. I still wouldn't agree but a different conversation just the same.

Dennard was pulled over for straddling a line, did he cross over a lane? Nope just to close to a line in the cops opinion. The jury will laugh this case out of court. He was pulled over for being a black kid driving at night, harassed because he punched one of their own in the face.

He did not fail a breathalyzer he simply refused to take one. Considering the circumstance of the fact he just got 30 days in jail for punching a cop he didn't even know was a cop in that city I would probably refuse it to, not going to trust those same people submit a accurate result to the courts. That's a joke.

The laws are different state to state, but a few minor points.

• Failure to stay within your lane is a legitimate reason for an officer to pull a driver over and give them a citation, and at that time also observe for possible impairment.
  • Most police cars today have cameras, so that will back up their reason for pulling the driver over (as opposed to simply 'driving while black').
  • Misdemeanor traffic cases such as this one typically do not go to a jury trial, they are handled strictly by a judge.
  • A judge is highly unlikely going to dismiss a DUI case because on an officer pulled a driver over for failure to stay within their lane.
  • Refusing to take a breathalyzer in almost all cases will result in being found guilty of DUI.

Anybody can be arrested, it only matters if he is convicted. If you wanted to argue that if he is convicted for DUI then he should be released that's a different conversation. I still wouldn't agree but a different conversation just the same.

Dennard was pulled over for straddling a line, did he cross over a lane? Nope just to close to a line in the cops opinion. The jury will laugh this case out of court. He was pulled over for being a black kid driving at night, harassed because he punched one of their own in the face.

He did not fail a breathalyzer he simply refused to take one. Considering the circumstance of the fact he just got 30 days in jail for punching a cop he didn't even know was a cop in that city I would probably refuse it to, not going to trust those same people submit a accurate result to the courts. That's a joke.

You're right Mrs. Dennard, what else could he do?

[*]Refusing to take a breathalyzer in almost all cases will result in being found guilty of DUI.

Could you be found guilty of DUI without any sample taken? I think in some states you could refuse the breathalyzer, but you go to jail and they would take blood samples once you get to the police station. There is no proof that you were intoxicated without a test, so they could only find you guilty of traffic violations.

it's 2013....TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN

1)don't drive drunk

2) don't go back to freakin' Nebraska for any reason until your probation is done

3)don't go to the same bars in Lincoln that led to your arrest the last time

4)did I mention WTF are you doing in Nebraska??????

• Failure to stay within your lane is a legitimate reason for an officer to pull a driver over and give them a citation, and at that time also observe for possible impairment.
  • Most police cars today have cameras, so that will back up their reason for pulling the driver over (as opposed to simply 'driving while black').
  • Misdemeanor traffic cases such as this one typically do not go to a jury trial, they are handled strictly by a judge.
  • A judge is highly unlikely going to dismiss a DUI case because on an officer pulled a driver over for failure to stay within their lane.
  • Refusing to take a breathalyzer in almost all cases will result in being found guilty of DUI.

You points are all accurate and valid. I just don't understand why he was taken into custody despite no mention of a failed field sobriety test. Also most cruisers have mobile breathalyzer units but he wasn't asked till he was at the station.

Could you be found guilty of DUI without any sample taken? I think in some states you could refuse the breathalyzer, but you go to jail and they would take blood samples once you get to the police station. There is no proof that you were intoxicated without a test, so they could only find you guilty of traffic violations.

No
As previously mentioned in the US the police cannot just go take blood samples without your OK

People DO get convicted solely on field sobriety tests and conversely very good DUI lawyers most often keep their ciients from getting a dUI conviction

Agree with all but the last one. Always refuse to take the test. In Ma. automatic suspension of license but no conviction.

it's 2013....TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN

1)don't drive drunk

2) don't go back to freakin' Nebraska for any reason until your probation is done

3)don't go to the same bars in Lincoln that led to your arrest the last time

4)did I mention WTF are you doing in Nebraska??????

The sheer stupidity is epic. Dennard and Hernandez should will their brains to science (because scientists have microscopes).

After a long day at work, I come here to see what's new in PatsLand...

Dennard arrested for DUI

Ari_Akward_Walk_Out.gif

This post illustrates what I believe to be the true reason for our disagreement. You think Dennard is a good kid who keeps getting railroaded by either incompetent or downright malicious police behavior. If that is the case then NE is absolutely right to stand by him.

I am coming from the angle that the arrests are legitimate. Hell, even if neither is legit, I have to ask why The Fonz would return to the same area that he was just subjected to a corrupt charge. Would you? I know if I was completely screwed by the justice system I'd get as far away from that damn place as possible. Especially since I am on two years probation.

If Dennard really was drunk, I would fully support the team cutting ties with him.

@rocketcoindextr: Damn... And i just traded my aaron hernandez jersey in for an alfonzo dennard jersey.

This will set a precedent. Let players get away with acting like jackasses endangering peoples lives, or set zero tolerance.

Cut him and have Brady & Wilfork scream the hell out of the 90 man roster on the first day of camp.

The thing is, guys like Brady, and even BB and Kraft for that matter, probably don't have nearly as much sway over a lot of these guys as we would like to think.

So what do you do? Maybe bring in a guy like Tebow to try to change some of the culture around the team? Bringing Tebow in used to be the mother of all head-scratchers to me, but this might partly explain it, crazy as it sounds.

I think any human would care if their word took a hit.

There was that Navy RB who BB stood up for, who then wound up having a dispute with the Navy.

I forget the specifics, but having grown up at Annapolis, BB can't have liked that outcome.

If Dennard is released, it will be a strong indicator that the AH nightmare has changed the way the Patriots will do business and changed how Kraft allows football operations to be run. To put some context to that, I'd be willing to bet that BB was not, at least initially, for outright releasing AH. I'd bet he wanted to proceed with the 'AH separation' in a way that would impact the salary cap in the most team friendly way possible ((maybe there wasn't anyway to lessen the impact, but if there was, BB probably wanted to proceed that way)). This is not to say he wanted to keep AH. Even BB's intense focus on winning wouldn't have made him overlook the finite actions ultimately required for AH. But Kraft was probably the one to say 'dump AH, period. I don't even want to hear 'salary cap' mentioned in the conversation'.

I think the BB reign has been consistent on how he would have viewed the 'AH separation'. A primary consistency of the BB reign has been a cold hearted, machine like pragmatism. One of methods/strategy for winning that are so focused it borders on non-human like behavior. BB is, to quote TFB, "the most consistent man I have ever known' (maybe not verbatim but essentially that is what TFB said).
The fantastic W-L results produced by BB/his methodology has made him almost untouchable on the football operations side. Yet even though BB is larger than life, he does ultimately answer to Kraft (it's his team). Kraft sees the Patriots from the larger perspective of business -- not just the domain of W-L that BB provides so well.
So what all this means is (imho) BB will not opt to release Dennard. He is looking at it from the +/- impact on the potential for winning. And while he knows Dennard did something stupid and he wants to lay one severe verbal beat down on him, he will not see the infraction rising to a level that BB thinks should compromise the potential for winning. Which leaves the ultimate question of, does Kraft step in to overrule BB and Dennard is released? If that happens this is (again IMHO) a permanent shift in the structure/relationship between Kraft and BB. One that will never return to a pre AH time. And it will, likely, negatively impact the Patriot's W-L success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back