PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Define the term 'bandwagon fan'

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said in many topics before this...

It's impossible to be a bandwagon fan and still posting on a Patriots message board following the most disappointing loss in Super Bowl history and still being in the midst of one of the biggest scandal's in NFL history.

By definition of a bandwagon fan, they'd be on the Giants board right now.

Oh and by the way if you didn't watch Steve Grogan play - you're not cool.

My first game Nove 19th 1978 Shea Stadium , I remeber Horace Ivory scoring a Td, Pat leahy missed a fg we won 19-17... Was always a big grogan fan, but still feel we as fans did not appricate him enough in the mid 80's..

I will wait to post how I feel as fans if Moss leaves.. I think I know where alot of frustration is coming from..

So it's not age or geography in my mind-it's loyalty. I will be a Pats fan until there is no more me or no more Pats-whether they go 19-0, 1-15, win three more Super Bowls, never make the playoffs again, and no matter who is the QB, WR, RB, Coach, GM or anything else-because a long time ago something clicked between a little girl and a team-an unbreakable bond that lasts to this very day.

PatJew and Pepper -
Both of your posts are very touching. I am 31 and don't have children yet...and if I follow the 'watching Steve Grogan=cool" reasoning, then maybe back in 1985 (if there were Internet Message Boards) some guy would have said to me, "Hey, Kid, if you didn't watch Cunningham or Plunkett, then you are not cool."

As far as kids go, we are finally settled enough to try for it. However, my wife hopes that I 'grow up' and set a better example for our future children so they don't see me pouting (and nearly weeping) after games like Feb 3rd, 2008.

Real fans remain loyal no matter what happens.Bandwagon or Fair Weather Fans change with the wind.It has nothing to do with age,it has to do with how anyone responds to adversity or how some blow a negative situation way out of proportion.I'll admit the past 40 days have been tough to swallow but to think that this is the worst period in Patriots History is simply dillusional or simply unaware of Patriot's History..This will pass,just relax.

What if someones only 18 or 19?

They love sports, maybe never really identified with any team in particular. Obviously, you may be more drawn into watching successful teams like the Patriots or Colts that have become shoe-in's for the playoffs. Isn't it possible they really take an interest in some of our players, and care about whether they win or lose?

I just don't understand, why all the animosity for some of the younger crowd on here? So what that Brady and company is all they know, if they are not going to act like babies or say stuff like "I'll jump ship if we lose Moss", don't act like you're a better fan than they are just because you may be older than they are or live in Boston.

There is no such thing as being a better or superior Patriots fan. If someone says they are a Patriots fan, they are as much a Patriots fan as anyone else.

There are no levels of fandom....PERIOD! If someone has gone to every home game for 30 years straight and travelled to support playoff games & I sit at home watching the Pats on my television, I'm am 100% as much a Patriots fan as the guy who goes to every game.

That is a fact and there is no debate.

I first started following the Patriots in the 2001/2002 season. I'm not from New England, never even been there. So a lot of people would call me a bandwagoner.

But the Snow Bowl game was the first full NFL game I watched, and I was 12 at the time. I completely fell in love with the team and have rooted for them since. I've never in my life rooted for another team, and I've taken the losses as hard as anyone else here. So I don't think I'm a bandwagon fan at all.

Oh yeah. Maybe disagree was the wrong word. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I didn't mean for it to come off like that. I have problems getting out what I mean, as well. I hope you dont take offense to that, I just disagree with a small portion of your argument...I dont think you were wrong by any means. :D

Don't worry, I wasn't offended at all. If it sounded like it, you may have been more seeing my frustration at not being able to communicate my thoughts. I can't count the number of things I wrote, then deleted, to try and say what my thoughts are. I certainly don't mind if you disagree with me :) I like to hear other people's opinions and arguments, as it sometimes helps me form my own opinion.

I actually see quite a few ppl move on, so that's probably where my opinion comes from. Once again, don't take anything I said the wrong way.:)

Don't worry, I appreciate that we can discuss this respectfully. You can't imagine how many people try to personally attack me if I dare to disagree with someone.

I guess once I think about it, I've never paid a whole lot of attention to other people's fanhood. I just can't imagine rooting for a team, then stop rooting for them completely. I'm sure it happens.

Again, I appreciate these sorts of discussions :)

The definition of a bandwagon fan is Lebron James.

He grew up in the Cleveland area (which has both a baseball and football team) yet he is a fan of the Yankees and Cowboys.

Clearly a front runner if there ever was one.

You also need to properly define "Fairweather fan" and "Diehard Fan".

I've heard the phrase "Pinkhat" used a lot on here to describe bandwagoners. My question is where did the name "Pinkhat" come from ?

Sounds like an insult to female fans, which is very wrong...

Im 17, in a country that barely recognises this sport exists, the first time i ever watched it was 2002. It was Miami@Pats, i chose the Pats because they had "England" in their name, Dumb reason i know, and been hooked ever since.

I had no other reason to support any team, none of my family of friends watch NFL, most think it's a "boring game, stop and starts too much", so couldn't go off what my friends thought. I had no idea the Pats had won the Superbowl the year before.

Call me a bandwagon fan if you want.

Last edited:
This could help defining a bandwagon fan. From National Sports Advisors this jewel of a thread:

I think BB and Pioli are the best in the business, but I'm getting a little sick and tired of hearing the "In Bill and Pioli I trust" mumbo jumbo. Fact is, we haven't hoisted a Lombardi since 2004 and Tom Brady has been in his prime the last 3 years. If we lose out on Moss, than once again we will be without a true #1 receiver in one of the prime years of Tom Brady's career. Maybe they have a plan B in the works with Cincinnati for Chad Johnson and that's why they are playing risky business with letting Moss test the waters. But if they don't, I'm sorry, that is simply not good business. It's one thing when you are winning Lombardi's, but we haven't done that in 3 years and it's looking like we will have a tough time doing that again next year. Sooner or later it is time to start openly questioning Bill and Pioli because their job is to win championships and not division titles. Like Vince Lombardi once said, 2nd place only means you are the 1st loser. I know the homers on this board will tell me to shut up and that's fine if it makes them feel better, but at least I'm a realist and I can see that this team has some serious question marks(secondary, linebackers, team speed, possibly WR if we lose Moss) and it's going to be awfully hard to fill these holes with rookies from a draft.

You're a bandwagon fan if the Pats have a bad season next year and you dump them and start following the Phins....don't you have a favorite soccer club?...would you ever switch to another soccer club?...if not, you're NOT a bandwagon fan.

Anyway, it takes all kinds...casual fans, bandwagon fans, newby fans...myself, I'm a DIE HARD FAN....all Patriots all the time for the rest of my life...anything else would be unthinkable.

You're a bandwagon fan if the Pats have a bad season next year and you dump them and start following the Phins....don't you have a favorite soccer club?...would you ever switch to another soccer club?...if not, you're NOT a bandwagon fan.

Anyway, it takes all kinds...casual fans, bandwagon fans, newby fans...myself, I'm a DIE HARD FAN....all Patriots all the time for the rest of my life...anything else would be unthinkable.

I made my decision and i stick by it, even if we go 0-16 next year ill stil be a Pat.

The only thing i need is a trip to Foxboro, which im trying to address next season.

I do have a soccer club, not a very a good one at that.

Last edited:
then you're hard core, die hard fan....welcome to the brotherhood...if you make it over here you'll find a large number of people from this board who will help you out as far as going to the game is concerned...tailgating, transportation etc.

then you're hard core, die hard fan....welcome to the brotherhood...if you make it over here you'll find a large number of people from this board who will help you out as far as going to the game is concerned...tailgating, transportation etc.

I've already looked at flights, £400 ($800) which is fine, the only issue is trying to get hold of a ticket, whatever the price.

regular season tickets should not be a problem...there's plenty of people here with season's tickets and plenty of people who know where to get a ducat or two.

regular season tickets should not be a problem...there's plenty of people here with season's tickets and plenty of people who know where to get a ducat or two.

Thanks alot, i'd go SRO if i had to.

Last edited:
Dumbass thread: who gets to make the Bandwagon rules the non-bandwagoners?!!?

FYI: born-n-raised in Boston & PATS FAN since day1 = & I slapped Grogan's hand so I'm really cool! (someone should now start a Grogan only fanclub for the old school diehards! too funny..)

Dumbass thread: who gets to make the Bandwagon rules the non-bandwagoners?!!?

FYI: born-n-raised in Boston & PATS FAN since day1 = & I slapped Grogan's hand so I'm really cool! (someone should now start a Grogan only fanclub for the old school diehards! too funny..)

Greetings,

I agree with your assesment. I have never been to a Pats game in my life I been living in Alabama all my life but still I am a Pats fan no matter what. My father lived in Boston and has been a fan for over thirty years and it rubbed off on me. I always rooted for them since the mid-90's but did not watch alot of games because I found football boring as a youth. But when I grew older developed a huge love for the game. I became a die-hard fan the night of the St-Louis Sunday night game in 2001 Pats lost but the effort they showed against the team billed as the best in the business made me want to sit through and watch all of their games when I had a chance. As stated I live in Alabama where most people are Titans and Colts fans who always accuse me of being a band-wagon fan and I always have to set them straight. I root for ALL Boston sports teams because that is where my fam lives and consider myself die hard for everything (except hockey but still root for the Bruins though). Growing up I remember suffering through the 16-66 Celtics and watching Red Sox loose now that Boston is finally winning people hate on me for it down here. PS I still own Rick Fox and Dee Brown Celtics jersey's.
Shalom,
Celticboy04

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results