PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense? What defense!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I hope for Haynesworths becoming I have to agree he looked really pale this game. Getting pancaked and just not being a threat at all. Considering how we got players to actually do pass rush I think its just strange how little pressure we get. Its got to be something about the BB mentality of checking the run first because I cant se it any other way. Alot of teams get pressure or atleast have a speed guy beating the LT atleast a couple of times but we dont.

Yes, that's something that I had hoped would be a lot better too, the pass rush. It has not seemed to be any more effective than the past couple of yrs.

Even though they did not blitz much, there should definitely be more of a natural push/pressure, and guys winning one on one battles. That has been disappointing so far in my opinion.

There are flashes at times, like when the pressure forced Rivers into the INT, but it is rarely there, at least no where near the level that will likely be needed.

Then again, I think I fell into a trap of sorts with all of the hype/scheme change/signing of bigger name pass rushers, and positive showing at times in the pre-season.

We'll have to see, and hopefully it improves with time as they become adjusted. I am still going to be concerned about the secondary, no matter what. So far the pass rush + play of the secondary has been my gripe, but then again those 2 usually go hand in hand too.

Only time will tell if it is improved or not..

Once again the D was a mixed bad. There was no real pressure on Rivers all game. I think the only time they got to him was that forced fumble at the end of the game. Their 3rd down D was just awful. 10/12 is jut laughably poor. Whenever the chargers needed a first all they had to do is throw the ball and they would pick up the yards. However the D did force some turnovers and had that great goal line stand. There was so good things but of the D wants to be championship D they need to get much better.

I love Wilfork but man look what Suh has done for that Lions defense,Suh is a modern day Ray Lewis where everyone plays better because they are on the same defense.

We need a Suh in the secondary...a guy who wants to mutilate his rivals

Okay, when will the Patriots get a Top-3 pick in a year with several unique talents available?

That is the only way to get another Suh as Suh and others like him will never hit the FA market without at least multiple years of franchise tags driving their price.

Yes, there's a lot of offense in this league. But come on--this defense has been disappointing for the first two games. Turnovers covered up the shakiness of last year's D too. If you actually watched the game yesterday, there's no way you're happy with this defense.

I can't believe that we can be an elite team with the porous defense that we continue to put out on the field. Historically, we have not had a pass rush or a secondary that puts up a solid effort against decent passing quarterbacks. The lack of a pass rush turns average, and even less than average quarterbacks into Hall of Famers, while our DBs, either through lack of good coaching or NFL quality skills are unable to stifle any kind of passing attack. Today's game is a perfect example of what we can expect to see week after week, except the offense will get shut down and we will end up losing. Do you remember last season? Great season, but unable to win in the playoffs. Get used to it. I love the Pats, but reality is going to kill us.

Let's see, the Pats D held the Bolts very good O to 21 points. Add on the fact that Phillip Rivers threw some purely insane passes, there were several absolutley sick catches by receivers, and some really lopsided officiating, and your post starts to look more than silly. Perhaps you missed that goal line stand?

Yes, there's a lot of offense in this league. But come on--this defense has been disappointing for the first two games. Turnovers covered up the shakiness of last year's D too. If you actually watched the game yesterday, there's no way you're happy with this defense.

I watched a lot of football this weekend. Other than the Jets, Steelers, Lions, Titans and Saints, all other defenses looked terrible. There is not enough film for game planning.
With the above list, you also have to consider who they were playing against as well.
Norv actually had a brilliant plan for this game, he made Jackson run most of the routes that Gate runs.

Last edited:
The offense is a thing of beauty but until we see something different they are really just a modern era version of the Colts. If Brady plays superior the Patriots win.

The Jets can win despite Sanchez.

Two different approaches, let see how it turns out.

It seems that defensive rankings only matter to folks on here when it suits them.

It's ok to mention that the Pats offense beat up on the #1 and #6 ranked defense last year. But those rankings are based on yardage not points allowed.

But in our Pats case, that ranking is then thrown out the window because points is all that matters. weird.

i'd like to say that every game will have us hemmoraging yards but we will have timely turnovers. But we won't.

Here's my beef. We've won three championships, but I'm selfish. Very few teams ever get a Tom Brady in their history. So I want the most made of his time here.

Our defense is subpar right now...and I can't whistle past the graveyard like others on here.

There's been a lot of people bashing this defense over the past couple weeks. Although they haven't been superb they haven't been bad either. I think we all just have high expectations for this defense after the acquisitions made on the D line, Bodden returning and a lot of 2nd or 3rd year players who should be improving.

It's early and I think they will continue to get better like they did last year. Keep in mind they were up against Phillip Rivers today and held the Chargers to just 21 points. McCourty has been a little sloppy but he's a very talented player and I think he's just had a rusty start and will get back on track in the upcoming weeks.

I thought the NE defense wasnt all that bad last season too.

Then the post season happened. Even if the Pats were able to play GB in the SB, they would have been torched by the Packers passing offense.

When Brady has an off day, then the chickens will come home to roost.

I felt like the D was better in game 1. In particular in the first game we were getting steady pressure with a 4 man rush, and it was just the fact that Henne was getting the ball out so quickly that was stopping us from getting more sacks.

Here, it was the opposite. Our D was stuffed several times with very little push and Rivers had all day to throw the ball.
Haynesworth and Wilfork were still getting double teams, but that should have opened it up for the edge rush, and that didn't happen. Carter in particular was easily contained.

The Wright loss is going to hurt I think.

The secondary was outmatched, and its unclear how much that can be coached. The safeties screwed up several times with bad angles, but 1-1 battles were the opposing receievers are taller, faster and can jump higher coupled with perfect throws is just not defensible.

Chad Henne threw for fewer than 200 yards today.

Defense is not merely yards. Last I checked, the NFL awards a win to the team with the most points.

When it arguably mattered most, the defense stoned SD on 3rd and 4th downs inside the five in the first half leading to a dagger of a field goal.

The Pats are averaging 22.5 points against and averaging 36.5 points for. The job of this defense is to give up less than 30 points a game (great work if you can get it.)

This defense is winning the turnover battle which is a way better predictor of success. Yesterday the defense turned the Chargers over 4 times - two fumbles and two interceptions - all at critical moments in the game for the Chargers including the game winner when Anderson strip-sacked Rivers.

Last season the defense improved week to week. There's no reason to doubt this defense will as well, especially with the huge turnover in personnel and switch to a more up-front pressure scheme.

It was maddening to watch the Chargers move up and down, but did you ever really feel that the Pats wouldn't win this one by more than a TD?

Last edited:
our secondary isnt that bad
rivers had ALL DAY TO THROW a receiver should not have enough time to escape a jam off the LOS run 30 yards across field and catch a TD
(unless its our wr of course :D)

no CB not aso not revis not asante could cover for as long as rivers had to throw yesterday

Last edited:
I watched a lot of football this weekend. Other than the Jets, Steelers, Lions, Titans and Saints, all other defenses looked terrible. There is not enough film for game planning.
With the above list, you also have to consider who they were playing against as well.
Norv actually had a brilliant plan for this game, he made Jackson run most of the routes that Gate runs.

Regardless of how much film is available, the lack of pressure from this new D line is disappointing. These guys are veterans--they know what they're supposed to do, they just don't appear to be doing it very well.

And please everyone, stop with the "we held San Diego to 21 points" line. The Chargers essentially did what they wanted. 500+ yards, 10/12 on third down, etc.

The good was the goal line stand, and (less so) the turnovers (and don't count on those in the playoffs.) Not much good beyond that.

Oh, NO!! The Patriots gave up 21 WHOLE POINTS!!

1176d80af4.jpg

Oh, NO!! We only beat the Chargers by 14 POINTS!!

634468556591864464.jpg

The defence will get better, if not we just need to keep outscoring the opponents :rocker:

Jackson was held to two catches last week.

Jackson had two catches..........because the Chargers were targeting Gates.

Gates had a great game last week. He was targeted 13 times

Gates did nothing today.

It's simply amzing how so many can be so lost.

Regardless of how much film is available, the lack of pressure from this new D line is disappointing. These guys are veterans--they know what they're supposed to do, they just don't appear to be doing it very well.

And please everyone, stop with the "we held San Diego to 21 points" line. The Chargers essentially did what they wanted. 500+ yards, 10/12 on third down, etc.

The good was the goal line stand, and (less so) the turnovers (and don't count on those in the playoffs.) Not much good beyond that.

If San Diego did what they wanted, are you saying they wanted to lose and turn the ball over?

Please everyone, stop saying it doesn't matter that we held San Diego to 21 points because "they did what they wanted". It's proven that if you score more than your opponent you tend to win.

Please stop making stupid points and making yourself look totally foolish.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 2 whole games, we're not the '85 Bears, yet???

We're DOOMED!!!

post_1492126_1224817440_med.jpg

We're discussing today's defense. After game 16, we'll be talking about game 16's defense.

The Patriots are currently 31st in passing yards allowed, are 21st in opponent QB rating and are 26th in passing average allowed. It seems reasonable, to me, for people to think that's not very good.

Reasonable to you?

Now there's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes