PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE-Ranks and Values

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wooten is the guy. He had 10 sacks and was dominant as a Jr before tearing his ACL. He would have been a 1st round pick last year. He's got all the measurables and also apparently the right intangibles to play here.

Would he be a starter from day 1? Probably not given that he's been playing DE in a 4 man front. But I can envision the Pats getting by with some combination of the guys currently on the roster, 4 man line, and maybe a vet run-stuffer like Marques Douglas.

I'm a Wooten fan as well, definitely wouldn't mind taking him in the second round as well.

Prospects who have a basic body type to play the 5-Technique. Bolded players may be able to play at a high enough level to be a starter or regular in rotation. * college 3-4 experience.

DT:
Ndamukong Suh
Jared Odrick
Tyson Alualu*
Cam Thomas
Mike Neal
Torell Troup
Arthur Jones
Linval Joseph
Al Woods
Corey Peters
Brandon Deaderick*
Vince Oghobaase
Travis Ivey
Doug Worthington
Jay Ross
Lorenzo Washington*
Sean Lissemore
Charles Alexander
David Howard (His athleticism is intriguing)
Ricardo Mathews*
Kade Weston
Joe Joseph

DE who might bulk-up:
Carlos Dunlap
Cory Wootton
Alex Carrington
Austen Lane
E. J. Wilson
Clifton Geathers
Jeffrey Fitzgerald
John Fletcher*
Mitch Unrein*
Robert Rose

Well, Wooten/Woods would work: Warren-Wilfork-Woods/Wooten.
th_coffee.gif

Prospects who have a basic body type to play the 5-Technique. Bolded players may be able to play at a high enough level to be a starter or regular in rotation. * college 3-4 experience.

DT:
Ndamukong Suh
Jared Odrick
Tyson Alualu*
Cam Thomas
Mike Neal
Torell Troup
Arthur Jones
Linval Joseph
Al Woods
Corey Peters
Brandon Deaderick*
Vince Oghobaase
Travis Ivey
Doug Worthington
Jay Ross
Lorenzo Washington*
Sean Lissemore
Charles Alexander
Ricardo Mathews*
Kade Weston
Joe Joseph

DE who might bulk-up:
Carlos Dunlap
Cory Wootton
Alex Carrington
Austen Lane
E. J. Wilson
Clifton Geathers
Jeffrey Fitzgerald
John Fletcher*
Mitch Unrein*
Robert Rose

Wow, you are optimistic. My guess is 1/3 of these players don't make the squad, 1/3 end up being on practice squads and the rest waste away on the bench (except for Suh). Even Jared Odrick would be damn lucky to become a starter.

Outside of those two I don't see any upgrades over Wright / Pryor.

Wow, you are optimistic. My guess is 1/3 of these players don't make the squad, 1/3 end up being on practice squads and the rest waste away on the bench (except for Suh). Even Jared Odrick would be damn lucky to become a starter.

I'm not necessarily trying to upgrade Wright or Pryor, complement them, add depth to the rotation, out of the kids on that list there are indeed several whom I'm as confident as I can be with a fan's knowledge of football and their skill set - and the fact none of it sticks to my career if they fail. :p

In terms of playing time, Kevin Faulk is a starter, Jarvis Green was a starter, Mike Wright became one last season, it's not all see rookie, see rookie play, I allow some the time to develop in my assessment.

I'm not necessarily trying to upgrade Wright or Pryor, complement them, add depth to the rotation, out of the kids on that list there are indeed several whom I'm as confident as I can be with a fan's knowledge of football and their skill set - and the fact none of it sticks to my career if they fail. :p

In terms of playing time, Kevin Faulk is a starter, Jarvis Green was a starter, Mike Wright became one last season, it's not all see rookie, see rookie play, I allow some the time to develop in my assessment.

Totally agree. Wright and even Pryor took on useful (and necessary) roles in the DL rotation last year. A successful draft/FA would allow Wright/Pryor to generally stay in those roles and become more effective with experience. That is why I think Odrick is a strong fit because he could take snaps in the base 3-4 and let Wright/Pryor thrive in the sub packages.

Last edited:
I know that this is way against the trend (as well as my philosophy), but I think they have a significant opportunity this year for their RE. Detriot has a ton of needs this year, and they have shown a distinct desire to acquire picks. If I was running that draft room, and I will likely get slaughtered for this, but I would send Detriot the NE '11 1st and the last second for 2 overall. Yeah, Suh.

I have never felt as strongly about a prospect as I do Suh. He is hands down the best 4/5 tech prospect I have seen. His explosion, power, hand technique, foot technique, motor, and character are all world beatingly elite. This is a once in a generation guy, and there is no question in my mind that he will develop into a better player than Seymour did. It is imperative that they don't allow what happened to their backers happen to their Dline. I know it won't happen, but if they make that move, I would be doing backflips.

suh
hughes
pitta
veldheer
would be a sick little draft...there is absolutely no tellin and no way of knowing what we do on draft day...we better hit a homerun bc this draft is stacked and we have all the power and leverage in the world to help this team get better.

suh
hughes
pitta
veldheer
would be a sick little draft...there is absolutely no tellin and no way of knowing what we do on draft day...we better hit a homerun bc this draft is stacked and we have all the power and leverage in the world to help this team get better.

Suh plus 3 cartons of eggs would still be a sick draft.

I am of the opinion that if we can not go up and get Suh, then we are much better off waiting and taking Deaderick or Washington on day 3 of the draft.

I think the single most important thing BB can do for this team is to get a playmakers at need positions (X receiver, DE and OLB)

On one hand, I agree; and that's why I'd rather not use one of our top-4 picks on a DE until our needs at WR & Pass-Rusher have been satisfied.

On the other hand, I also believe that Wright & Pryor are very replaceable. I see Wright as a rotational-caliber 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE, esp. in passing situations. And I see Prior as strictly a backup-caliber 4-3 DT in passing situations only.

Last edited:
I know that this is way against the trend (as well as my philosophy), but I think they have a significant opportunity this year for their RE. Detriot has a ton of needs this year, and they have shown a distinct desire to acquire picks. If I was running that draft room, and I will likely get slaughtered for this, but I would send Detriot the NE '11 1st and the last second for 2 overall. Yeah, Suh.

Don't forget the Pats' 1st-rounder this year, too. Detroit will prob. take nothing less than those 3 picks.

Don't forget the Pats' 1st-rounder this year, too. Detroit will prob. take nothing less than those 3 picks.

Which I would gladly give up for Suh. Curious to your thoughts as well.

I am of the opinion that if we can not go up and get Suh, then we are much better off waiting and taking Deaderick or Washington on day 3 of the draft.

Or, if Bill can acquire a 3rd-rounder, taking Alex Carrington.

I think the single most important thing BB can do for this team is to get a playmakers at need positions (X receiver, DE and OLB)

I completely agree with the last statement. WR & Pass-Rusher MUST be addressed with at least 2 of our top 4 picks, and 2 of our last 7 picks.

Last edited:
Which I would gladly give up for Suh. Curious to your thoughts as well.

It's very tempting. Detroit would have to accept our 2011 1st, not Oakland's. If they insist on the latter, then the deal's off. I would also try to get them to include their 5th-rounder this year. The depth this year is so impressive, that I want to take advantage of it as often as possible. If Detroit accept my terms (our own 2010 & 2011 1st, plus #44, for their 2010 1st & 5th), then we have a deal.

DT:
Ndamukong Suh
Jared Odrick
Tyson Alualu*
Cam Thomas
Mike Neal
Torell Troup
Arthur Jones
Linval Joseph
Al Woods
Corey Peters
Brandon Deaderick*
Vince Oghobaase
Travis Ivey
Doug Worthington
Jay Ross
Lorenzo Washington*
Sean Lissemore
Charles Alexander
Ricardo Mathews*
Kade Weston
Joe Joseph

DE who might bulk-up:
Carlos Dunlap
Cory Wootton
Alex Carrington
Austen Lane
E. J. Wilson
Clifton Geathers
Jeffrey Fitzgerald
John Fletcher*
Mitch Unrein*
Robert Rose

If you had to rate these guys in order of who you want the most to the lease Box who would you have 1-10. I am interested to hear who you think are the best guys at these spots. I have to say I am not thrilled with most of these guys. I think Suh, Odrick, and Carrington are clear upgrades over what we have. After that I think its a very mixed bag and I really wouldnt want to grab anyone else unless it was 4th/5th rd development guys like Woods from LSU or Peters from Kentucky.

What are your thoughts Box? How would you rank these guys and where would we take them?

I have never felt as strongly about a prospect as I do Suh. He is hands down the best 4/5 tech prospect I have seen. His explosion, power, hand technique, foot technique, motor, and character are all world beatingly elite. This is a once in a generation guy, and there is no question in my mind that he will develop into a better player than Seymour did. It is imperative that they don't allow what happened to their backers happen to their Dline. I know it won't happen, but if they make that move, I would be doing backflips.

I agree Suh is a great prospect, but I see 2 problems with that idea:

1) I don't think the Lions would take what you're offering. Last year, the Jets gave up 17, 57 and 2 marginal starters to move up to 5. They actually made a good deal, but it's arguably more than you're offering. And getting to #2 is much tougher. Add to that the fact that other teams will be trying to trade up for Suh, and you're probably talking 22, 44, 53 and next year's #1 - maybe.

2) Last year's #2 pick signed a contract with $33 mil in guarantees and up to $61 mil in value. That surpasses Vince's contract of $25 mil guaranteed and $40 mil total value. Suh might end up being a better player, but I don't think it's a good business move for the team. Won't sit well with guys like Vince, Moss, perhaps even Brady.

If you had to rate these guys in order of who you want the most to the lease Box who would you have 1-10. I am interested to hear who you think are the best guys at these spots. I have to say I am not thrilled with most of these guys. I think Suh, Odrick, and Carrington are clear upgrades over what we have. After that I think its a very mixed bag and I really wouldnt want to grab anyone else unless it was 4th/5th rd development guys like Woods from LSU or Peters from Kentucky.

What are your thoughts Box? How would you rank these guys and where would we take them?

That was what I was originally asking. I like the youth we got last year, Warren, Wilfork, Wright, have some experience. I think we have enough developmental types, we should be looking at serious starting talent the likes of Seymour. The idea is to improve the starters not the bench.

If you had to rate these guys in order of who you want the most to the lease Box who would you have 1-10.

I'm in the same boat as to where to value them. Ranking them 1-10...I don't really have that degree of certainty in my thinking here. Partly because I don't know how BB intends to run the defense (3-4, 4-3, 4-2, 3-3, do I draft for all or one?) and partly because I know so little about these kids individually.

Suh is #1, just not a realistic target without giving up more value then I like. The others would be grouped, primarily due to not having enough knowledge of the players to grade them to the same degree NE would. If what follows looks like rookboston's old value grouping strategy theory, it's because I think this is a draft class that lends itself to that strategy.

Group one would be along the lines of "classical" 3-4 DE bodies - tall, long arms, strong at the point of attack, capable of penetrating or collapsing the pocket. Carlos Dunlap, Jared Odrick, Cory Wootton, & Alex Carrington all fall in this grouping from late first-early third.

The next group are Jarvis Green/Mike Wright types, a bit shorter, better penatrators, not as effective against the taller OTs or double-teams, but with quickness that can disrupt things inside on passing downs. Tyson Alualu, Mike Neal, Arthur Jones, E. J. Wilson, Corey Peters, Ricardo Mathews, Mitch Unrein, and Sean Lissemore would all loosely group here. Another kid I didn't list before who might fit this group is Nate Collins. Alualu stands out from this crowd, which is why he's projected high second and might go in the late first if a 4-3 team wants him for the 3-tech.

Group three are projects - rawer players, or smaller kids who need bulk, or small school kids who need to develop, or underachievers who need a pilot light: Linval Joseph, Doug Worthington, Vince Oghobaase, Lorenzo Washington, Austen Lane, Clifton Geathers, Jeffrey Fitzgerald, John Fletcher, David Howard, Robert Rose.

The fourth group are more NT than DE, think of the way BB describes Ron Brace: strong enough to play the 0-tech, long enough to play 5-tech. Cam Thomas, Torell Troup, Al Woods, Brandon Deaderick, Travis Ivey, Jay Ross, Charles Alexander, Kade Weston, Joe Joseph.

So when to draft them? Groups one and three have your classic bodies, do you draft Dunlap at #22 and hope you can light his fire? Or do you play it safer and draft Carrington with #53? It's why Odrick has been my pick at #22, more consistency since the light came on his junior year, size, competition, etc. Dunlap is like Meriweather when he came out, I can't get inside his head from what little I've seen, so I take him off my board as too high a risk for the asking price. If he was late second I'd snap him up, but he won't land there.

If you think NE has the leisure to develop a kid, you might trade back a bit and see if you can get Austen Lane or Linval Joseph. If you think you might be using a 40 front more often to rush the passer then take a RB at #22 and target Alualu with #44, if he's gone you can hit on one of the others later. If you want more run stuffing/block eating, draft another Brace (chronic complainers hold your damned water, this is an example and not a draft strategy decision).

If you look at the draft game going on above, you see there's been a heavy run on OT leading up to NE's pick and edge rushers are just warming up. If this were how the real draft fell, I start looking to see who wants to move up for Dunlap or Brandon Graham or one of those disappearing OT and slide into the top of the second round - does Detroit want an OT, does Schwartz want Graham to team with Vandenbosch? Does KC want Golden Tate for their slot receiver? Cleveland wants everything and has the picks to get it. BB is going to own extra picks in rounds Three and Four before its all over and he may have three round one picks next year too.

I'm not in love with any DL in this draft class, NE had scouts at the Pro-Days for each of the kids in Group One, none have been reported to have gotten a private workout. The DL NE has worked out have all been mid-to-late round kids...studying BritPat's contact list, it looks like BB plans to take potluck with the DL and target TE & DB early. :confused2:

studying BritPat's contact list, it looks like BB plans to take potluck with the DL and target TE & DB early. :confused2:
Oh God.
Well at least from now I can lower my expectations for this draft and the Pats in 2010 :(

Imo, dunlap's work ethic and size doesnt fit a starting rde for us. Odrick is not worth the first round pick imo so far and isnt a huge upgrade over pryor/wright. Carrington at 22 would be a huge reach and he is too light. I definitely see us taking an olb graham/kindle/hughes at 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft