PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daniel-Te'o-Nesheim (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Inside LB alternative

No love for Stevenson Sylvester?

Really impressed me at the Combine. Has the size, the smarts, the production.
Go back and look at my entries in Nut's drafty game. :cool:

Go back and look at my entries in Nut's drafty game. :cool:

Sorry, what I should have said is "no love for Stevenson Sylvester from anyone other than BOR"? ;)

I really like him as a prospect, although I'm also interested to see how McKenzie performs and if Thomas Williams is more than just a camp body.

Last edited:

It's a mixed bag, I think. Every account of the Washington pro day has slightly different tidbits. Only NFLDraftScout mentioned the LB drills: "Te’o-Nesheim was tested as a pass rusher, but also in the linebacker drills. One scout said that he thought his speed and pass-rush ability might make him a real candidate to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense." Meanwhile Walterfootball said he'd bulked up from 250 to 263 for the pre-draft events. Very interesting if all the film actually shows him at 250, he seemed to have plenty of power on the field.

Question: why is nobody here talking about him at OLB? Or to put it another way, what did Larry English have that Te'o-Nesheim doesn't? English's big claim to fame was 31.5 career sacs in the MAC; Te'o put up 30 in the Pac-10. And he bests English in every single measurable: taller, heavier, faster, quicker, stronger, more explosive.

I think you are asking the right questions. If you can identify a player that has a skill set that translates well to ILB (stack-n-shed, solid tackler, can play in space or blitz when asked) and OLB (set the edge, pass rush, drop into coverage)...even if that player isn't ideal at any of those skills...that is a significant asset. If we can't tell where the player will a) line up pre-snap and b) end up post-snap...well then neither can the opposing QB. At least the QB may have to take an extra second to make decisions which gives the pass rush a lift.

That has been my justification for Misi in the 2nd round. I know less about Te'o-Nesheim but he could be the same type. Position flexibility at the linebacker position is a different way to skin a cat. I know where McClain is going to be and I can account for him. I have a harder time attacking a LB (even a less skilled one) if I don't know where he will be.

There are lots of good names on this thread that fit that flexible theme. The key to success is going to be what is going on between their ears, which we really have limited insight into. But with Belichick adopting the "roaming LB" formation on 3rd downs late last year, this seems like something that would be appealing to Belichick.

Last edited:

It's a mixed bag, I think. Every account of the Washington pro day has slightly different tidbits. Only NFLDraftScout mentioned the LB drills: "Te’o-Nesheim was tested as a pass rusher, but also in the linebacker drills. One scout said that he thought his speed and pass-rush ability might make him a real candidate to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense." Meanwhile Walterfootball said he'd bulked up from 250 to 263 for the pre-draft events. Very interesting if all the film actually shows him at 250, he seemed to have plenty of power on the field.

Question: why is nobody here talking about him at OLB? Or to put it another way, what did Larry English have that Te'o-Nesheim doesn't? English's big claim to fame was 31.5 career sacs in the MAC; Te'o put up 30 in the Pac-10. And he bests English in every single measurable: taller, heavier, faster, quicker, stronger, more explosive.

I agree, we should be talking about him as an OLB in our defense. Super intangibles and he has the measurables. Very intriguing.

But again BB will probably pass on him for whatever reason he passed on English plus BB tends to frwon on taking guys from losing programs.

I agree, we should be talking about him as an OLB in our defense. Super intangibles and he has the measurables. Very intriguing.

But again BB will probably pass on him for whatever reason he passed on English plus BB tends to frwon on taking guys from losing programs.

Probably less about the losing program as it was English's height and lack of strength at the point of attack.

Technically Larry English was drafted before the Pat's originally selected. Granted had they really coveted him perhaps they could've traded up, but we'll never know their true feelings on him obviously.

Technically Larry English was drafted before the Pat's originally selected. Granted had they really coveted him perhaps they could've traded up, but we'll never know their true feelings on him obviously.

"Technically"? :p English was drafted 7 spots before the Pats #1 pick. How can anybody say they passed on him? Did they pass on Cushing and Orakpo too, then?

BTW, Te'o-Nesheim is 1.3" taller than English, and his arms are a full inch longer. That kind of length difference is pretty significant at the position.

I can see Edds play either the OLB or ILB position. I think his best role, though, would be the Roman Phifer role, coming in on third downs as a coverage linebacker, and maybe gets a surprise blitz or two. I guess you could say that's Guyton's best role as well, but as long as Guyton's a starter, I'd rather let someone else come in on 3rd down to keep him fresh. I also think Edds could adequately back up either ILB position in case of injury.

I think Edds looks like an ILB in our system as well. But the question is how early would you take a position that is fairly well stocked. How much better than Guyton or Mckenzie would he be?

Well I looked at his combine numbers and he was top 3 in all the DL drills that he participated in:

Vertical jump 37", 1st place was 38"
3 cone 6.91, 1st place was 6.84
20 yard shuttle 4.18, 1st place was 4.15

My primary concerns are would be:
How does he look in space? Is he stiff and unnatural or could he drop back and cover a tight end?
How does he hold up against the run?
Does he have a variety of pass rush moves or is his repertoire limited and raw?
How are his football instincts? Does he seem to get to the right place ahead of time or is he reacting to the play?
Describe his shed and block abilities, will he get easily washed out by a guard/fullback or can he still make the play after the initial block?

Does who have watched film on him or seen him in person, feel free to answer.

PS His last name is REALLY hard to spell. Can we just call him Teo for short?

Last edited:

I think Edds looks like an ILB in our system as well. But the question is how early would you take a position that is fairly well stocked. How much better than Guyton or Mckenzie would he be?

the pats ILB's need help....they can't cover worth a damned, and Mckenzie is an unkown.......the group needs alternatives, and we need somebody to finally knock alexander of the roster

Assuming these questions are about Teo,, I can say this as a football fan and not a draft scout,,

Teo is a guy that constantly makes plays, hustles, but is on a team that knows how to give up 3 huge plays to the opposing team every week, aka, a bad defense, someone is out of position enough that Washington is usually in a score fest.

((The benefit is you get to be amazed by Locker. College football at it's best,,,))

I would say Teo is very mobile, watching him play the DL, he is not straightline-ish like Klecko. But being quick while playing the DL is different than being in space, and I can't remember his in space play. Only remember within the LOS skirmish zone. But would have to say he is Bruschi like. Anywhere from 60% to 90% of #54. He is the kinda guy when watching the game, you think "This guy would be interesting, makes plays".

Washington is the school that produced Tank, I got a gun, Johnson i believe, he rose up out of "nowhere" to become a second draft pick a couple of years back, when Washington was not known for a good defense.

Teo may not be known within the draft publications, but I'm sure the pro scouts know all about him. I have no idea where he will go,

Well I looked at his combine numbers and he was top 3 in all the DL drills that he participated in:

Vertical jump 37", 1st place was 38"
3 cone 6.91, 1st place was 6.84
20 yard shuttle 4.18, 1st place was 4.15

My primary concerns are would be:
How does he look in space? Is he stiff and unnatural or could he drop back and cover a tight end?
How does he hold up against the run?
Does he have a variety of pass rush moves or is his repertoire limited and raw?
How are his football instincts? Does he seem to get to the right place ahead of time or is he reacting to the play?
Describe his shed and block abilities, will he get easily washed out by a guard/fullback or can he still make the play after the initial block?

Does who have watched film on him or seen him in person, feel free to answer.

PS His last name is REALLY hard to spell. Can we just call him Teo for short?

Last edited:

I'll share something I've been considering the last two weeks, and it's making more sense to me. Many of us harbor dreams of McClain falling to 22, or even close enough to make a trade-up worthwhile. Others are happy waiting for Spikes with our second round picks. Others think our ILB corps is just fine as currently constituted. I myself have been banging the AJ Edds drum for a while.

However, there's another guy out there whom I'm developing a mild crush on, a heck of a football player, that at first glance doesn't appear to fit into our system.

DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim out of Washington. Maybe the reason nobody talks about him is because nobody knows how to pronounce or write his name. Watching him play, he's always around the ball...a guy whose motor actually matches his talent. He's at 6-3, 267, quick, explosive, and strong. It's a positional change for sure, but with some coaching, he might be the prototype for the strongside ILB in Belichicks defense. I don't know where he's projected right now, probably late 2nd to mid third, but if Belichick's m.o. is to draft big, strong, fast, smart, football players, then this could be his guy with the last 2nd rounder.

Any thoughts?

How about his teammate at Washington, Donald Butler. He is starting to get quite a bit of attention from scouts. (34 reps on benchpress, 4.68 40)

Te'o-Nesheim (of Irish-German heritage, right?) does seem to make plays and appears to have some serious athleticism. At 6'3"/267#, he seems like a DE/OLB Hybrid in the TBC mold to me. I'd take him as high as the late 2nd.

For later-round ILB help, I'd consider Jamar Chaney.

What about this guy?
Micah Johnson, 2010 NFL Draft Prospect

Micah Johnson
6’ 2” 256 lbs
Kentucky

Strengths: Size, Straight Line Speed, Burst, Instincts, Pass Coverage, Strength, Highlight Reel, Intensity

Weaknesses: Football IQ, Change of Direction, Tackling, Over Aggressive

What about this guy?
Micah Johnson, 2010 NFL Draft Prospect

Micah Johnson
6’ 2” 256 lbs
Kentucky

Strengths: Size, Straight Line Speed, Burst, Instincts, Pass Coverage, Strength, Highlight Reel, Intensity

Weaknesses: Football IQ, Change of Direction, Tackling, Over Aggressive

Straight-line speed is not his strength, he ran a 4.99 at the combine and in the 4.8s at his pro day. But his short-shuttle time is pretty solid (4.26) for a guy his size. His ability in man coverage is questionable, but he seems to be a pretty powerfull pass rusher.

Straight-line speed is not his strength, he ran a 4.99 at the combine and in the 4.8s at his pro day. But his short-shuttle time is pretty solid (4.26) for a guy his size. His ability in man coverage is questionable, but he seems to be a pretty powerfull pass rusher.

Usually guys that run slow but look fast when you plug in the tape are guys with exceptional instincts. Guys with exceptional instincts can look a second faster than they are, but are exposed while in pursuit.

Last edited:

Yup Micah Johnson is SLO-OW. He will struggle in pursuit. But as a 2 down run stuffer, he could probably do the job as long as the play stays inside near him. I don't see him being able to go sideline to sideline like a Mayo or Bruschi, but that wouldn't be his role.

If so that's unfortunate, did the team lose because of the player or in spite of him? Good players on losing teams can be an excellent value because many people disregard them, same thing with not so great players on winning teams being over-valued.

I think the same thing applies with players from small schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft