PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daniel-Te'o-Nesheim (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Inside LB alternative

Yup Micah Johnson is SLO-OW. He will struggle in pursuit. But as a 2 down run stuffer, he could probably do the job as long as the play stays inside near him. I don't see him being able to go sideline to sideline like a Mayo or Bruschi, but that wouldn't be his role.

Which 2 downs require run stuffers? Last time I looked, teams passed in just about every situation. After losing the Super Bowl, I suppose it is possible that Polian has adjusted the rules.

I'll share something I've been considering the last two weeks, and it's making more sense to me. Many of us harbor dreams of McClain falling to 22, or even close enough to make a trade-up worthwhile. Others are happy waiting for Spikes with our second round picks. Others think our ILB corps is just fine as currently constituted. I myself have been banging the AJ Edds drum for a while.

However, there's another guy out there whom I'm developing a mild crush on, a heck of a football player, that at first glance doesn't appear to fit into our system.

DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim out of Washington. Maybe the reason nobody talks about him is because nobody knows how to pronounce or write his name. Watching him play, he's always around the ball...a guy whose motor actually matches his talent. He's at 6-3, 267, quick, explosive, and strong. It's a positional change for sure, but with some coaching, he might be the prototype for the strongside ILB in Belichicks defense. I don't know where he's projected right now, probably late 2nd to mid third, but if Belichick's m.o. is to draft big, strong, fast, smart, football players, then this could be his guy with the last 2nd rounder.

Any thoughts?

Since we are taking players who have never played ILB and moving them inside. What about these two guys? I see them as maybe being jack of all trades (masters of none) but providing more options for passing situations either as inside or outside blitzers.

Year 1
- they play special teams
- act as the 3rd or 4th ILB/OLB
- play in a variety of spots on passing downs

Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State, 6-2 , 240, 4.64
Jason Worilds , Virginia Tech, 6-2, 252, 4.72

Since we are taking players who have never played ILB and moving them inside. What about these two guys? I see them as maybe being jack of all trades (masters of none) but providing more options for passing situations either as inside or outside blitzers.

Year 1
- they play special teams
- act as the 3rd or 4th ILB/OLB
- play in a variety of spots on passing downs

Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State, 6-2 , 240, 4.64
Jason Worilds , Virginia Tech, 6-2, 252, 4.72

I think they're both mid-round values at OLB. If we miss out on Hughes, etc, we could do a lot worse than draft Worilds with our last 2nd rounder, if available.

The reason I see T'O-N as a possible ILB is his ability to disengage from blocks and take on bigger bodies using his hands. I think the two you mention are best kept as an outside pass rushing threat.

Last edited:

Sounds suspiciously like Dan Klecko, who I really liked and was disappointed when he didn't work out. A flyer in the fourth would be fine with me.

Except that Klecko was 6' and 285 or so and was projected as a NT..

Spikes in the 2'd? Not anymore after his pro day. We could probably pick him up as a free agent or in the 7th now.

I work with an ex-Gator who keeps tabs on such things and says that Spike got into trouble for a little eye-gouging incident in a pile-up. Sounds like he is NFL ready...

I was kind of thinking that Brandon Grahm could move inside, does this sound plausible? That was also before he became a consensus first round pick. I don't like him at all at OLB, I believe is a bit to stubby for Bill's taste.

I was kind of thinking that Brandon Grahm could move inside, does this sound plausible? That was also before he became a consensus first round pick. I don't like him at all at OLB, I believe is a bit to stubby for Bill's taste.

I'm intrigued by him as an SILB too. But that seems too much of a long-term project for how high he's likely to go.

he wants to rush the passer, i dont think he would personally like it

You can rush the QB from the ILB position too, particularly in a 3-4 D.

BD5CB9F2821B4706B7303971188A3EC7.ashx

Last edited:

I can't imagine a rookie, and by all accounts a mature one, who finally realizes his dream to play in the NFL, and for a winning franchise and defensive guru, is going to raise an issue about the way he is used.

And frankly, I doubt Belichick gives a damn if he does.

I'm intrigued by him as an SILB too. But that seems too much of a long-term project for how high he's likely to go.

Why even bother? He is a natural pass rusher, something the Patriots lack. Leave him on the edge and let him make plays, don't move him inside and waste his best asset. Plus he is a first rounder, seems like if you are going to try a project it would be with totally diposable flunkie from rounds 5-7 (after they fail at their primary position).

Plus I don't think he lasts until #22.

Man, my wife was right, I am cranky today... but I prefer to call it feisty.

Last edited:

Why even bother? He is a natural pass rusher, something the Patriots lack. Leave him on the edge and let him make plays, don't move him inside and waste his best asset. Plus he is a first rounder, seems like if you are going to try a project it would be with totally diposable flunkie from rounds 5-7 (after they fail at their primary position).

Plus I don't think he lasts until #22.

Man, my wife was right, I am cranky today... but I prefer to call it feisty.

"Feisty," eh? ;)

I'm not actually advocating taking Graham at #22 and moving him to ILB; I'm advocating not taking him at all. Because I can't put a #22 overall grade on him for the Pats' scheme, and I understand that he won't be available later.

One of my binkys. The guy's a serious hardass player. Various sites have him going anywhere from mid-4th to late-6th. He'd be a steal even in the 4th.

Agreed. He reminds me of Bruschi.

Because of his terrific workouts, DTN likely will be gone by the end of the 4th. It appears that he has the strength, tackling ability, technique, motor & intangibles to make the very tricky conversion to SILB. I'm adding him to my watch list when our 4th-round pick arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye