PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Connolly injury overreaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSolderKing

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Per Roto & The Globe

Patriots RG Dan Connolly was forced from Saturday's preseason game against the Lions with an ankle injury.
The injury was nearly catastrophic for the Patriots, as fill-in Rich Ohrnberger found himself completely overwhelmed by Lions DT Ndamukong Suh, who burst through the line and pressured Tom Brady on nearly every play. Connolly's status has yet to be updated, but he should be ready for Week 1. Aug 28 - 10:56 AM
Source: Boston Globe

The good news is it is not severe and he will be back soon.

It seems he will be ready for week 1. Our depth is blah. Hopefully we pick up a cut G or sign 1. Will Marcus Cannon be ready in 6 weeks or should we activate him now?

Source)

Dan Connolly - New England Patriots - 2011 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

This is obviously good news. But, we still need to add an interior lineman. Or are you all set with Ohrnberger and the injured Wendell as our backups?

It might have been smarter to draft an O Lineman who didn't have cancer and could play before Brady gets killed

This is obviously good news. But, we still need to add an interior lineman. Or are you all set with Ohrnberger and the injured Wendell as our backups?

I'm not set with Connolly.

It might have been smarter to draft an O Lineman who didn't have cancer and could play before Brady gets killed

worst post 09

We got a borderline 1st round talent that late in the draft, thank goodness BB is making the moves around here. Pats have superb OL coaching, and plenty of trade chips, and FA cuts from other teams to look over shortly. I'm sure we'll have a solution that will satisfy most fans.

Dan Connolly should not be a starter in the first place.

Naw, I just don't drink the koolaid like you guys.

Ummm I think koolaid is the least of your concerns. Put the other stuff down and walk away please before you make an even larger fool of yourself.

"Paul" is how the dude spells brain. LesBrain

not true. We got GR8 value for a potential STUD. He will be here soon enough.

Get G depth by waiver or FA's

Agree completely. We have a QB who gets rid of the ball faster than anybody, and we all watch him get pounded. I swear some of the good press the OLine gets is because of his quick release, because he still takes a beating at times, and gets nicked every year.

Naw, I just don't drink the koolaid like you guys.

The handle says "LesPaul", but your tone and desirability say "Daisy Rock".... through a line6. :eek:

Right Guard and Center are position problems against teams that can generate an inside pass rush. Connelly/Koppen are fine in the regular season against 13 of 16 oppenents ..... but when we hit the playoffs .... the smallness of our interior line is a problem {inside pass rush with "big men"}. We need to get bigger at the interior positions. We'll have to game plan against this better than we have (and get bigger next year).

That said, we had no game plan against Detroit per se. Last year, we beat Detroit by tiring out their DLmen. We should've gone to a mild "hurry up". throwing to RBacks and TEnds. We'd of killed them in the second half. Our offensive game plan was to throw wide and down field ......... well, it is pre-season.

This was a good game for us to lose (like Cleveland last year, without the loss counting). It should wake us up a little ...... including the coaching staff.

Okay, I'll play along.

Who should the Patriots have drafted instead of Cannon?

Here, I'll help you out; these are the guards drafted after Cannon was selected:

Daniel Kilgore
Caleb Schlauderaff
Keith Williams
Stephen Schilling
Andrew Jackson
Michael Jasper

Yes, because the Pats have a strong history of throwing rookies on the O-line without substantial coaching from Scarnecchia.:rolleyes:

Solder will likely see sparing use just to get game experience, and he, unlike Cannon, is not a fifth round pick - a level of pick which is not infrequently a practice squad member or straight cut that never sees the regular season.

Nice try at shock value. Next time work in a little actual insight and you might get some angry responses. You may just as well have claimed the Pats frittered away time spent at camp on undrafted free agents as pointing out Cannon.

Cannon will play, and most say he would have been a high pick but for his condition. If he wears the uniform next year (this year would be crazy given his treatments, but fans would love to see him hit the field) and plays to his potential, the Pats, once again, show they are smarter than the rest of the NFL.

Yes, because the Pats have a strong history of throwing rookies on the O-line without substantial coaching from Scarnecchia.:rolleyes:

Nice try at shock value. Next time work in a little actual insight and you might get some angry responses. You may just as well have claimed the Pats frittered away time spent at camp on undrafted free agents as pointing out Cannon.

Matt Light started 12 of 14 games his rookie season.
Sebastian Vollmer started 8 of 14 games his rookie season.
Logan Mankins started 16 of 16 games his rookie season.
Nick Kaczur started 11 of 14 games his rookie season.
Dan Koppen started 15 of 16 games his rookie season.

Koppen might be the best analogue as a fifth round draft choice at interior line. Like Cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back