PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dallas Clark Sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
...played with Manning...
...Manning smart...
...Brady smart...

Do you suppose it might be a factor that Peyton Manning was passing for Clark's team and a rookie for Fells'?

So what? Clark did his job very well, and Manning is no better than Brady. When it comes to blocking for a very good QB, Clark is as good as any other TE

Last edited:
the pats have enough backups who don't contribute to special teams......

don't need him wasting a roster spot if he's going to wind up limping off the field in october

save the $$ for someone else

What about blocking?

But, I Thought Dallas Clark Couldn't Block - Stampede Blue

According to Pro Football Focus, from 2008-2010, Clark was the fourth best pass blocking tight end in the NFL. In 224 pass plays that Clark blocked on, he allowed only 11 pressures. That, my friends, is impressive

Um, Fells was rated in the bottom 7 TE in pass blocking efficiency in 2010.

So you're citing stats from two years ago from a source no one takes seriously? What could possibly go wrong!

So what? Clark did his job very well, and Manning is no better than Brady. When it comes to blocking for a very good QB, Clark is as good as any other TE

when I think blocking for a TE I think running game....if the point is to bring him in so he can pass block, then there's no point to bring him in

Clark would be a relatively low cost low risk signing who could give the Pats a lot of versatility going into training camp. If he's truly done, then they haven't lost much. If he is able to still play, especially in a rotational role, then he would give them a lot of depth, flexibility and options.

As you say, a Gronk ankle injury may have cost us a Super Bowl. Aaron Hernandez has yet to play an injury free season. Clark would even be an excellent slot option if Welker got hurt. And he could be used situationally in combination with those guys to create mismatches.

The Pats' approach this off-season seems to have been to load up on depth and let the numbers and roles sort themselves out in training camp. In that spirit, signing Clark would make a lot of sense.

I love it, I'd much rather have 1 less "receiver" if it means a spot for Dallas Clark.

This must mean that Welker is being traded! the 3TE, 1 WR set has arrived. Goodbye, Wes.

Just kidding - calm down.:rocker::rocker:

Fells is an atrocious blocker and basically a backup to Hernandez (who also can't block) rather than an all-around tight end. If Clark still has it (big if), then he's a much better option as a Hernandez backup. He's fallen off the last couple years due to injury but before that was amongst the best receiving tight ends who ever played. He's a bad blocker but would basically be another slot option.

Gronk is essentially an irreplaceable piece because he's the best receiving and blocking tight end in the league, so the Fells (Clark?) spot is going to be someone who can spot Hernandez, who's a tight end in name only.

Intriguing.

I don't think it's Belichick just trying to do a guy a favor.

If the guy has anything left, why not take a look at least? He is the original AHern. I mean, I know we can only carry so many guys on offense, but clearly the approach is to make camp extremely competitive and worry about roster spots later.

Is it safe to say the smurf receiver era is over in Foxboro :confused2:

Clark has visited with other teams, too, including the Chiefs, and he's still unsigned.

...played with Manning...
...Manning smart...
...Brady smart...

Manning pre reads defenses
receivers run the called route
Brady pre reads defenses
Brady and receivers read and adjust to defenses post snap
Manning Smart
Brady Smart
Brady Weapons Smart
And to be fair, Manning weapons talented and disciplined.

Last edited:
The more I read about Dallas Clark, the more I think he's useless. Permanent ligament damage in his hands means he'll never be able to close them and catch the way he used to. There were times he was staring at his hands in disbelief last year as the ball bounced off them.

Is it safe to say the smurf receiver era is over in Foxboro :confused2:

Nevah...safer to say it's pre camp update the rollodex time.

Everyone assumed he'd be in Denver with Peyton. Inquiring minds want to know why he isn't...

The more I read about Dallas Clark, the more I think he's useless. Permanent ligament damage in his hands means he'll never be able to close them and catch the way he used to. There were times he was staring at his hands in disbelief last year as the ball bounced off them.

It will be interesting to see if and with whom Clark signs. Failure to do so repeatedly may indeed suggest that he's washed up for various medical reasons. The Pats had him in for a visit and have among the best medical staff in the league, so I trust them to evaluate that aspect thoroughly.

They are different players, but never the less, they might be fighting for the same roster spot. The question would be whether you want insurance for Hernandez or a guy who can be used solely as a blocker. Because of the amazing depth at WR, I'd guess that Fells is more valuable right now... Hernandez is essentially a receiver who typically lines up on the inside, and you might be able to replace his production with a WR rather than another hybrid player like Clark.

I don't think the Pats are very focused on the final roster breakdown right now. I think they're approach is to load up and create competition, and figure out who sticks in training camp. Assuming Clark gets checked out medically - a big "if" - and comes at a cheap price, there isn't much downside to taking a look. If he flops, not much is lost. If he and Fells turn out to be competing for one spot, let the better man win. If the Pats decide that carrying 4 TEs provides better value than more WRs or RBs, great. It can't hurt to have options and depth going in to training camp. Again, all this assumes that Clark comes cheap (likely) and checks out medically (not so clear).

Chris Price on Clark's visit:

Whether it’s Belichick doing a favor for a friend or genuine interest on the part of New England, it’s not a big surprise that the Patriots would at least bring [Clark] in to kick the tires and see what he has left. If he can still play and the money is right, New England would find a spot for him. The Patriots have added wide receivers at a dizzying pace this offseason — why not an extra tight end or two? After all, Clark passes what we call the Rosevelt Colvin test: Belichick has raved about him over the years, often unprovoked. Check out this quote from Belichick on Clark from 2009:

“He’s a terrific player, very hard to defend,” Belichick said of Clark. “He pretty much can do everything that you would ask a tight end to do. He’s a great vertical receiver. He can get open on the short and intermediate routes. He’s a good possession receiver on third down and in the red area. He’s good after the catch. He does a good job blocking.”

It Is What It Is » Trying to figure out why the Patriots would kick the tires on veteran tight end Dallas Clark

I sort of classify this in the Tory Holt / John Lynch category - BB taking a look at a veteran who he admires, and who could fill a role.

Chris Price on Clark's visit:

It Is What It Is » Trying to figure out why the Patriots would kick the tires on veteran tight end Dallas Clark

I sort of classify this in the Tory Holt / John Lynch category - BB taking a look at a veteran who he admires, and who could fill a role.

What role could he fill, though, that's going to earn him a roster spot when such spots would already seem at a premium even before he'd be signed? Even if you go with 10 'WR'/TE spots, 8 of them would seem pretty much spoken for:

Gronk
Hernandez
Welker
Lloyd
Gaffney
Branch
Slater
Fells

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle