PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Tuesday Patriots Notebook 10/3: News and Notes

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 10/3: News and Notes
Ian Logue
Much of Monday was obviously spent looking back at Sunday's debacle, with many trying to still make sense of what happened during the Patriots 38-3 beatdown in Dallas.

The post Tuesday Patriots Notebook 10/3: News and Notes appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

This to me is major:

Both DeVante Parker and JuJu Smith-Schuster have been an issue this season, with the latter being the most glaring.

Parker’s actually gotten the lion’s share of the snaps. After being inactive in Week 1, he played 100% of the snaps in Week 2, along with 76% (55/72) of the snaps in Week 3 and 82% (42/55) against Dallas. Despite that, he’s tied with Gesicki for fifth on the team in receptions with 10.

Smith Schuster is second on the team in targets with 21 behind Hunter Henry (23), but he’s fourth in receptions with just 11 for 80 yards. That’s a 52% reception rate. He actually saw a drop off in playing time Sunday, seeing just 47% (26/55) of the snaps after playing in 54% (43/80), 59% (44/74), and 74% (53/72) over the first four weeks.

With teams seemingly handling both of those players, they’re clamping down on both Kendrick Bourne and Rhamondre Stevenson, and it’s likely because both Parker and Smith-Schuster haven’t posed much of a threat.

Everyone rips on JJSS, and that's fine. He was supposed to be better than this for a free agent. But WTF was with extending Parker if he's on the field significantly more of the time and tied for 5th in receptions. He's our WR1 and he's doing even worse than JJSS.

@Ross12 made the point that Boutte saw the field more when Parker was off of it (probably he's seen as the backup WR1). I think it's time to pull Parker more and let Boutte play more.

This to me is major:

Everyone rips on JJSS, and that's fine. He was supposed to be better than this for a free agent. But WTF was with extending Parker if he's on the field significantly more of the time and tied for 5th in receptions. He's our WR1 and he's doing even worse than JJSS.

@Ross12 made the point that Boutte saw the field more when Parker was off of it (probably he's seen as the backup WR1). I think it's time to pull Parker more and let Boutte play more.
Agreed. Play the kids until Juju shows he understands the offense and can provide value. Parker is fine and isn't messing up necessarily, but Boutte offers more upside and ability to separate.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Agreed. Play the kids until Juju shows he understands the offense and can provide value. Parker is fine and isn't messing up necessarily, but Boutte offers more upside and ability to separate.
Yes and no. I mean, yes, I agree with you about Juju. But I think the problem with Parker is severely under reported (or under complained about, if that's a possible thing on PatsFans). Parker is WR1. He's in about 40% of the plays. Juju is WR3 and in on about 25% of the plays. Parker is in on 15% (percentage points anyway) more plays than Juju and has fewer receptions.

I guess what I'm saying is that Juju is a problem but less the problem than that Parker is terrible at being WR1.

If not Boutte, maybe Thornton comes in and takes over some of Parker's playing time?

• Agree
Yes and no. I mean, yes, I agree with you about Juju. But I think the problem with Parker is severely under reported (or under complained about, if that's a possible thing on PatsFans). Parker is WR1. He's in about 40% of the plays. Juju is WR3 and in on about 25% of the plays. Parker is in on 15% (percentage points anyway) more plays than Juju and has fewer receptions.

I guess what I'm saying is that Juju is a problem but less the problem than that Parker is terrible at being WR1.

If not Boutte, maybe Thornton comes in and takes over some of Parker's playing time?
Take another look. Parker played 100% of the snaps two weeks ago and has been in on significantly more than Smith-Schuster in two out of the three games he’s played with the exception being two weeks ago against the Jets.

Although, that being said, that just further enforces your overalI point, which I 100% agree with and I don’t get it either ;)

Take another look. Parker played 100% of the snaps two weeks ago and has been in on significantly more than Smith-Schuster in two out of the three games he’s played with the exception being two weeks ago against the Jets.

Although, that being said, that just further enforces your overalI point, which I 100% agree with and I don’t get it either ;)
Yeah, I know we're doing the whole short/safe throws to compensate for a banged up OL, and maybe Mac's gunshy from all the INTs last season when throwing to Parker, but something is seriously wrong there. I'm hopeful Thornton can take over that WR1 spot because posters have been making a great point about how other teams don't respect our longball game at all.

• Agree
Yeah, I know we're doing the whole short/safe throws to compensate for a banged up OL, and maybe Mac's gunshy from all the INTs last season when throwing to Parker, but something is seriously wrong there. I'm hopeful Thornton can take over that WR1 spot because posters have been making a great point about how other teams don't respect our longball game at all.
I also don't know how they solve the problem with Smith-Schuster ... especially if he doesn't improve. They have no reliable target on third down and the totals this year are downright scary when you look at them ... it's just absolutely bizarre and while some of us were concerned this might be the case, I don't think anyone truly saw things being this bad.

I also don't know how they solve the problem with Smith-Schuster ... especially if he doesn't improve. They have no reliable target on third down and the totals this year are downright scary when you look at them ... it's just absolutely bizarre and while some of us were concerned this might be the case, I don't think anyone truly saw things being this bad.
Yeah. I'm willing to cut Bill some slack for not being able to find a true WR1, because if you look back the last three years, there really weren't a lot of options in free agency and we didn't pick at the top of the draft. But taking away Meyers and the 3rd down running back (Mac was also great with both White and Bolden in seasons past) has destroyed us on third down. Say what you want, but Mac in 2021 was amazing on 3rd down.

They need to find ways for Douglas to play the Edelman plays on third down and tell Mac to feed him. Or at least get Montgomery out there on some of those downs. Otherwise these drives are just going to continue to stall.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back