PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D Mac #3 ranked Safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't argue with that but it really is no surprise that once McCourty got moved to safety and Talib came in as the CB1, the back end of that defense stabilized more than in any previous year before that. Even when Talib was banged up or missing time, the secondary still wasn't as putrid as it had been from 2009-early 2012. And yes, the secondary was putrid in 2010 too. That defense lived and died off of their ability/inability to create turnovers.
Turnovers are an important part of playing defense.
Its a huge reason that people severely overrate Rex Ryans defense. They end up with good yardage statistics, are horrendous at generating turnovers and ultimately below average in allowing points.
Statistics are nice to use to back up an argument, but a defense that allows more points is not better than one that allows less, since the game is decided by points.

With the goalposts moving back and forth across the field at blinding speed, how does anyone really engage Triumph or take him seriously at this point?

With the goalposts moving back and forth across the field at blinding speed, how does anyone really engage Triumph or take him seriously at this point?

He's on point on some topics. But the topics that he has a vested interest in (such as watching McCourty fail) should not be taken seriously.

He's on point on some topics. But the topics that he has a vested interest in (such as watching McCourty fail) should not be taken seriously.

Anyone who compares McCourty to Tebucky freakin' Jones should not be taken seriously, I agree.

What topics is he on point with? Do they have anything to do with football? Which sites does he post about them on, because I'd be interesting in reading them.

At THIS point?
Its not throwback Thursday yet.

If it involves any player Belichick that triumph wasn't shouting for then it falls in the same class as McCourty. Triumph actually said to me that he could do a better job drafting than Belichick, and that's a sign of mental illness.

What does Triumph do for a living? What type of football background does he have?

If it involves any player Belichick that triumph wasn't shouting for then it falls in the same class as McCourty. Triumph actually said to me that he could do a better job drafting than Belichick, and that's a sign of mental illness.

And you know that's a load of crap. I have never once seen Triumph in the draft forum pre-draft in all my years here. Not... once.

And you know that's a load of crap. I have never once seen Triumph in the draft forum pre-draft in all my years here. Not... once.

I never said anything about the draft forum, only triumphs views on Belichicks picks, and it is no load of crap at all. the only thing I have ever seen from triumph is him ripping Belichick for his picks, and he absolutely told me he could do a better job drafting than Belichick does. You don't have to be in the draft forum to take craps on Belichick's picks, and if we still had access to the old archives i could show dozens and dozens and dozens of examples of it. And i am far from alone in holding that view.

I never said anything about the draft forum, only triumphs views on Belichicks picks, and it is no load of crap at all. the only thing I have ever seen from triumph is him ripping Belichick for his picks, and he absolutely told me he could do a better job drafting than Belichick does. You don't have to be in the draft forum to take craps on Belichick's picks, and if we still had access to the old archives i could show dozens and dozens and dozens of examples of it. And i am far from alone in holding that view.

I think you mis-read that. I meant Triumph saying he could draft better is full of crap, particularly since he doesn't contribute in that forum pre-Draft and only comes in after the matter saying things like "I knew so and so was a better player". He's a second guesser. I wasn't accusing you of being full of crap so my apologies if it read like that.

I think you mis-read that. I meant Triumph saying he could draft better is full of crap, particularly since he doesn't contribute in that forum pre-Draft and only comes in after the matter saying things like "I knew so and so was a better player". He's a second guesser. I wasn't accusing you of being full of crap so my apologies if it read like that.

LOl, thanks, i was surprised when i read it but felt i should respond to it. (You're right, i misread it) I have always felt there is plenty of room for criticism of this team and of Belichick et al..I make no pretense that I am some objective viewer of the Patriots, I'm a fan of the team and most of the players most of the time, and it colors my views. I have respect for those of you who are reasonable in their criticism of the team and that obviously includes you, and i think the people who try to paint themselves as the objective voices of reason are pretty comical as all they are really trying to do is frame the discussion in a light where they are the clearheaded thinkers and those they are arguing with are just fanboy homers, and i have little to no respect for those who really only post to voice their problems and criticisms of the team because it is literally impossible to be a fan of this team and only find fault with it when it has been the most successful team by far of this era. It would be like a SeaHawks fan complaining they didn't beat the broncos by enough.

Last edited:
wait...you mean he's Bob Triumphy?

e41aec5a77b1f68fe854e2b6c0b2961e86f2b1b3.jpg

hey, nice looking dead squirrel on top of your head, Triumphy...:eek:

I think you guys are under estimating triumphs skills

I saw his draft board the last few years and every single time the player he thought the patriots should draft turned out to be the rookie of the year.. sure he always showed me his mocks a year after the draft actually happened, and yeah most if not all of those players were drafted way before the patriots got their pick,

but none of that really matters does it. Triumph knows talent when triumph sees that talent voted for awards.

Devin McCourty vs. Earl Thomas statistically –

- Devin McCourty – 61 games, 320 tackles, 1 sack, 7 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 15 interceptions, 52 pass defends, 13 run stuffs
- Earl Thomas – 64 games, 345 tackles, 0 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 15 interceptions, 32 pass defends, 9 run stuffs.

McCourty has as many interceptions, and more forced fumbles, run stuffs, and pass defenses, despite playing in 3 fewer games.

- Devin McCourty – 61 games, 320 tackles, 1 sack, 7 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 15 interceptions, 52 pass defends, 13 run stuffs
- Earl Thomas – 64 games, 345 tackles, 0 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 15 interceptions, 32 pass defends, 9 run stuffs.

McCourty has as many interceptions, and more forced fumbles, run stuffs, and pass defenses, despite playing in 3 fewer games.

Can't be true. I have it on reliable authority that he doesn't make any plays.
studying.gif

I am one of the biggest DMC fans out there, however, to be fair, half of his picks did come during his rookie season at CB, while I don't have the numbers, I have to assume that being a rookie CB he was targeted a lot to get the chances at that many INT's, 7 is an insanely high number and usually only 1 or 2 guys hit/eclipse that in a season.

But, like I said, I definitely believe he's a top 3 FS and one of the best DB's in the entire NFL, but is is a little unfair to throw his CB stats in there when comparing 4 seasons to a safety, unless you're also trying to add the "versatility" value to him, which by all means, continue.

I agree with @strngplyr here. Throwing Dmacs CB numbers in there is unfair unless it's to show that he can play multiple positions. As a DB you probably get more passes defender than you do as a safety because you play much closer to the receiver and should be in positions to bat the ball away more times in a game than a safety is.

Stats aren't that good for comparing DBs either. They can be very misleading. Look at Logan Ryans picks last year or Arringtons picks a few years ago. The stats there makes them look way better than they actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft